• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery & B Visa

emma_

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends!

I haven't been here for a while but am hoping some of the trusty members here could help me out with a quick question!

I've applied three times to the DV lottery, and won once (this past year when half of Oceania missed out because they selected so many people - hence, my selection became redundant).

I currently find myself in a situation where I have the possibility to go to the US for medical treatment (long story, I've been unwell for a long time and may through a grant have the funds the pay for treatment that I never thought possible)- in which case, I would be applying for a B visa (I believe) and obviously NO intention of staying in the US after treatment.

My question is, are my past DV lottery applications (particularly my winning) going to affect my ability to get a non immigrant B visa?!
I have read that the US treats all people applying for visas as potential immigrants, unless they can prove otherwise. Now, I don't own a home or have a job here in Australia, due to my illness, so I don't have anything to prove ties to my home country (apart from my family).
I have looked around the web and most people seem to say it shouldn't be an issue, unless you've won and submitted immigration forms (which I have), in which case it's on your record that you've shown intent to immigrate

What do you guys think??

Thank you!

Oh dear, not sure what that 'a' is doing in the title, and don't know how to remove it! This does not please my inner perfectionist:eek:

Hello friends!

I haven't been here for a while but am hoping some of the trusty members here could help me out with a quick question!

I've applied three times to the DV lottery, and won once (this past year when half of Oceania missed out because they selected so many people - hence, my selection became redundant).

I currently find myself in a situation where I have the possibility to go to the US for medical treatment (long story, I've been unwell for a long time and may through a grant have the funds the pay for treatment that I never thought possible)- in which case, I would be applying for a B visa (I believe) and obviously NO intention of staying in the US after treatment.

My question is, are my past DV lottery applications (particularly my winning) going to affect my ability to get a non immigrant B visa?!
I have read that the US treats all people applying for visas as potential immigrants, unless they can prove otherwise. Now, I don't own a home or have a job here in Australia, due to my illness, so I don't have anything to prove ties to my home country (apart from my family).
I have looked around the web and most people seem to say it shouldn't be an issue, unless you've won and submitted immigration forms (which I have), in which case it's on your record that you've shown intent to immigrate

What do you guys think??

Thank you!

Without the ability of showing a strong enough tie to your home country, and having demonstrated an immigrant intent with the submission of the DS-260 form in the past, it may be hard to be granted a NIV, but not completely impossible. The only way to find out if you'll be granted the visa, or not, is to apply anyway.

Thank you so much for your help, Sm1smom! Much appreciated! And you're right, I can only give it a go:)