• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2016 Applicant

I'm still concerned about photographs. Please could a successful entrant explain how they did theirs ??
Do I upload JPegs onto DV application??

Thank you

hi SusieQQQ

Did you use a photo editor program to resize your photo to 600x600 pixels? I got my photo professionally taken at Australia Post and it is perfect except that it is more than 600x600. I'm concerned that their fraud detection software will notice that the photo has been digitally altered and I will be automatically disqualified if I use photo editing software.

Can anyone who has won or has background knowledge please help clear this up? Am I over thinking?

Thank you

hi SusieQQQ

Did you use a photo editor program to resize your photo to 600x600 pixels? I got my photo professionally taken at Australia Post and it is perfect except that it is more than 600x600. I'm concerned that their fraud detection software will notice that the photo has been digitally altered and I will be automatically disqualified if I use photo editing software.

Can anyone who has won or has background knowledge please help clear this up? Am I over thinking?

Thank you

Yup - over thinking.

Just use the USCIS tool - http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/photos.html

Hi all,
Hope this is an acceptable place to post my query - I am new to this.
I applied for the Diversity Visa last year but was asked to pay and the website looked official but said it would be entered each year automatically on my behalf (hence the fee involved).
If people enter the DV lottery more than once, they are disqualified. I am concerned that, if the website I applied to last year was in fact legitimate (I think I was fooled), I might be disqualified if I apply when the 2016 applications open in October this year.
Is there a way to check whether the website I went through was official or not? The website was http://www.usvisalottery.net

Thanks,
Clare

Hi all,
I applied for the Diversity Visa last year but was asked to pay and the website looked official but said it would be entered each year automatically on my behalf (hence the fee involved).
If people enter the DV lottery more than once, they are disqualified. I am concerned that, if the website I applied to last year was in fact legitimate (I think I was fooled), I might be disqualified if I apply when the 2016 applications open in October this year.
Is there a way to check whether the website I went through was official or not? The website was http://www.usvisalottery.net

Thanks,
Clare

Multiple applications done year by year can't disqualify you, if you are selected and eligible your visa will be granted. However I would imagine
that multiple application submitted for the same fiscal year might be detected and rejected, so at this point if you plan to submit application
on your own you have to double check whether they will be applying in you name this year or not. This is critical.

In my opinion you should not have used external "pay" services under any circumstances in the first place, for many reasons:
- you can do it for free yourself, initial application process is straightforward (it gets a little bit complicated once you are selected),
- there are no official services related to DV applications, all web / non web services are private own - third party entities,
- you are giving away all of your private / sensitive data away (including credit card details for payment) God only knows what might happen
with that data in years to come.

I didn't check that website you gave above, I hope that they at least gave you your application number so you can confirm on the official DV website
https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ that your application was actually submitted and whther it was / is successful or not.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Clare

No this is not an official website, and it's a pity you didn't read the fraud/scam warnings on the official website first. I guess your only hope is to contact the site you entered and tell them to not enter you again, and hope they listen. You would be disqualified if they enter you and you enter yourself.
Of course if you have married etc since they will not know (and you would be disqualified even if you did win with them then), their photo will be out of date, etc.
Good luck - hopefully you get hold of someone there and get yourself out of their database.

I saw this on the DOS website this morning. They seem to have noticed peoples frustration with the high number of selectees who did not receive visa's in DV 2014 and publsihed this note to remind people that getting selected does not guarantee that you will get a visa. Still not a word about DV 2016 on their website.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DV_2014_Exhaustion_of_DV_Numbers.pdf

Yup - they seem to be preparing the ground for an inevitable end- and trying to head off questions about refunds etc.

Thanks for posting.

On their Facebook Page they said that they will be answering questions about DV Lottery on Friday, Oct. 3. So I am thinking it should start on the 3rd or maybe the 6th. Not sure yet.

U.S. Department of State: Consular Affairs: Hi Shaho, we are only answering student visa questions right now. We will have a chat about the DV on the first Friday of next month.

It was posted on September 5th.

Indeed a lot of people have been complaining about DV 2014...

Was reading if there were any changes and I saw this which i struggled with answering last year as well

Highest level of education you have achieved, as of today: (1) Primary school only, (2) Some high
school, no diploma, (3) High school diploma, (4) Vocational school, (5) Some university courses,
(6) University degree

Now, last year i had only Alevels and i think i selected (3). Is this correct? I just wikied and it seems i may be wrong, in that high school diploma stands for GCSE

What exactly is a vocational school?

Im now an undergrad studying in uni, would it be ok to apply using (5) this year?