• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2016 Applicant

RedOnMaroon

Hello All.
My First post. I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

So, my husband is Irish, born and bred, Irish passport. Me, the wife, I'm UK born and bred, Uk passport. Kids both UK born and bred with UK passports. We currently live in England.
We have decided to enter DV lottery 2016. You've got to be in it to win it, so nothing to lose.
I am presently trawling the Web, finding out as much information as I can in readiness for 1st October 2014*

From my research so far, I understand hubby is eligible by birth. I think I'm eligible by chargability. Can we both apply? or do the kids (2.5 and 11.5) and I go on my husbands application??

On a slightly different subject. With regard to VWP, I understand an individual can enter USA for up to 90 then have to return. How many days before you can travel to USA again??

Any tips and advice would be most welcome. Thank you x

*approximate.

You can each apply listing the other & children as dependents. If your husband gets selected, it's a normal procedure. If you get selected, both you and your husband have to show all the qualifying factors ie education etc, and you have to enter the US together. This is explained in the DV instructions I think?

Just to reiterate what Susie said, if selected your husband should complete the process and enter the US with you. But immediately after that, he can go back to Ireland without causing any problems for your and the kids' GCs.

On the VWP, there is no minimum time t be out f the USA but trying to re-enter immediately after a long stay will most likely get you questioned and possibly denied entry and even banned for a while.

Simon's advice is wise regarding the VWP. I entered the US using VWP 3 times, and on the third time I was warned to use another visa if I wanted to return again (which I did under a B1/B2). Times between VWP was 3 weeks for the first gap and then 3 months for the next gap. In hindsight, I understand their "annoyance". :)

Thank you people for your replies. Very helpful.

I would be very grateful for any links you could send for DV Lottery........
(Especially photo composition instructions).
On that subject, is it passport size picture you can get done in a booth?
We haven't got a scanner, would images taken on iPad be acceptable?

Thank you

Thank you

All the instructions including detailed photo specs will be on the entry form. READ THEM. Follow them. Two posts today already about refusals from people who didn't read the instructions :(

Thank you. I have found detailed instruction for submitting photos.

I'm still not clear on the point, Is it passport size photo you can get in a booth or bigger ??
Successful applicants, what did you do??

Please could some explain the allocation number system?
( it appears entrants can tell if they will get to interview in time' before their selection expires) ?

Thanks

Yes it's supposed to be a passport photo, you can get it from a photo booth, you can get it taken by a professional photographer, you can have your spouse take it using a phone camera or an iPad, you can use your own personal camera. Whatever you like. Just make sure at the end of the day, the end results conforms with the stated specification and background requirements.

Thank you
This answer is regarding "DV" lottery registration photos question (keep in mind, in the registration phase, you will be required to upload photos, not to have actual paper/physical photos!!!):
  • Use this tool
  • It has "Use our free photo tool" option
  • Have all photos (taken with your digital camera, etc..) ready and validated before your start your DV application online... that way you will know that photos (that you will be required to upload during application process) are going to be compatible and accepted !
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you. I have found detailed instruction for submitting photos.

I'm still not clear on the point, Is it passport size photo you can get in a booth or bigger ??
Successful applicants, what did you do??

Please could some explain the allocation number system?
( it appears entrants can tell if they will get to interview in time' before their selection expires) ?

Thanks

Check the specs on the instructions. US photos are generally NOT the same specs as the passport photos in most other countries.

Just a quick note about photo booths. In some countries the passport photo size varies, so you will see a choice of which passport photo size to select - make sure you pick the right size....

I am also going to apply for DV 2016 for the first time......somehow did not know about it for ages
But a million dollar question to ask - which dates should one apply?? assuming it starts on October 1......any suggestions????

I am also going to apply for DV 2016 for the first time......somehow did not know about it for ages
But a million dollar question to ask - which dates should one apply?? assuming it starts on October 1......any suggestions????

It's not a million dollar question at all. The draw is random. It doesn't matter when you enter.
Except: do not enter the last couple of hours it is open, simply because they system gets overloaded and you may not be able to submit on time. Happened to us one year.

It's not a million dollar question at all. The draw is random. It doesn't matter when you enter.
Except: do not enter the last couple of hours it is open, simply because they system gets overloaded and you may not be able to submit on time. Happened to us one year.

It is easy to do a pivot on the CEAC data to see when the most winners are selected. There is an uptick on the last few days of the entry period. You could assume that it is somehow more likely to be selected in the latter stages BUT I think that would be wrong - it is an indication that more people apply in those last few days.

It is easy to do a pivot on the CEAC data to see when the most winners are selected. There is an uptick on the last few days of the entry period. You could assume that it is somehow more likely to be selected in the latter stages BUT I think that would be wrong - it is an indication that more people apply in those last few days.

Exactly, just as the reason that certain countries have very high numbers of selectees reflects the very high number of entries from those countries.

Wife and I applied for the first time, on the last day, at the 11th hour. She was not only lucky to win it on the first year of applying but she also won with a fairly low number!

Thanks Britsimon. The CEAC data is really helpful. Its totally a random exercise and purely on luck basis!!!!