1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Green card expiration date?

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by sam1982, Mar 19, 2012.

  1. sam1982

    sam1982 Registered Users (C)

    What is the expiration date on the Green card u received the first time you entered the U.S? is it 1 year or 10 ?
  2. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    The temporary green card you get upon entry into the US is valid for 1 year. The permanent green card that you receive a few weeks thereafter is valid for 10 years.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  3. sam1982

    sam1982 Registered Users (C)

    When can you apply for the second green card?
  4. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    One does not apply for the temporary Green card or the first permanent Green card. The stamped visa in your passport is the temporary one.

    Your entry into the USA, using your immigrant visa, automatically "triggers" the production of the First Permanent Green card which is then mailed to your within a few weeks.

    You can apply for a second Green card when the first one expires, in other words, after 10 years. You could also apply for citizenship at that stage which would obviate the need for a new Green card.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  5. slash_dot

    slash_dot Registered Users (C)

    You don't really have a need to. You could apply for Citizenship after five years of residency in the United States. The first Green Card you receive lasts for 10. If you don't want US Citizenship because of personal reasons or your original country has a prohibition on dual nationality, USCIS suggests that you renew the Green Card by filing Form I-551 about six months before your current GC expires I believe.
  6. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    what about kids who will not be 18 in 10 years?
  7. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    What about them? I believe previous poster has explained what needs to be done. If you have a question, please be specific and ask it. I am also perplexed why you're concerned about theoretical issues 10 years into the future.
  8. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    Why not? consider this example, my son is 6 years old and from my understanding (correct me if I am wrong). One needs to be 18 to naturalize correct? So in 10 years he would be 16 and needing to renew his card.
    I do not think the poster has explained what needs to be done in this case………
  9. wench

    wench Registered Users (C)

    *wrong thread*
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  10. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    His card needs to be renewed in 10 years when it expires. It has been said before so i am not sure where the confusion is.
  11. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    Yes, one must be 18 years old to naturalize, using form N-400. Legal Permanent Residents under 18 can get citizenship by completing N-600. So if you naturalize after 5 years, your under-18 child can become a US citizen too. See N-600 instructions for an explanation of the process.
  12. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    Superkruz this is what I was looking for thanks!

    Not to get to ahead of myself with the interview hurdle yet to be crossed! but always beleive in being optimistic!

    So hypothetically speaking from my understanding of N-600 it would mean that at least one of the parents would need to first naturalize then immediately have the child apply right? Or can it all be done simultaneously?
  13. real_picture

    real_picture Registered Users (C)

    It's 10 years.
  14. Superkruz

    Superkruz Registered Users (C)

    I am unsure of the answer to your question but it does not really matter that much as the worst case scenario is that you'll have to wait for one parent to naturalize before you can apply for the child's citizenship certificate, ie about 6 months.

    My interpretation of N-600 is that the child automatically becomes a citizen when one parent naturalizes. The N-600 is then merely an application to get a certificate from USCIS to prove that. I don't even think you need to file a N-600 if you don't want to. You can simply apply for a passport for the child - this can act as proof of his citizenship, but because passports expire a citizenship certificate is a more permanent proof of citizenship.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  15. Dv2012AFTAZ

    Dv2012AFTAZ Registered Users (C)

    Thanks again Superkruz!

    do not want to get to ahead of myself will address this post May 1st!

Share This Page