• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV GC Question - Student

Jasse

Hi All,

I had an important question regarding Green Card keeping requirements:

I am 22 year old from Australia. I am currently studying at university in Australia (citizen) and I have over 3 years of university remaining in Australia. After my first entry into US I need to regularly stay in US as resident in order to keep my Green Card. In my case, I have full time university in Australia and I cant just leave Australian university and live in US.

After my initial US POE, if I stay out for 3 years outside of US (if need be maybe occasionally once every 6 months (or 1 year) touchdown to keep my green card). Will this be an adequate reason for US border/customs officers for re-entry? I can do a maximum of 6 months exchange study in US through my Australian university (this may help with stay). I also have ill parents in Australia who I also need to look after time to time.

I really want to stay in the US after my complete my Australian studies and then later live there.

Any advise or help would be great. Thanks.

Hi All,

I had an important question regarding Green Card keeping requirements:

I am 22 year old from Australia. I am currently studying at university in Australia (citizen) and I have over 3 years of university remaining in Australia. After my first entry into US I need to regularly stay in US as resident in order to keep my Green Card. In my case, I have full time university in Australia and I cant just leave Australian university and live in US.

After my initial US POE, if I stay out for 3 years outside of US (if need be maybe occasionally once every 6 months (or 1 year) touchdown to keep my green card). Will this be an adequate reason for US border/customs officers for re-entry? I can do a maximum of 6 months exchange study in US through my Australian university (this may help with stay). I also have ill parents in Australia who I also need to look after time to time.

I really want to stay in the US after my complete my Australian studies and then later live there.

Any advise or help would be great. Thanks.

Simple solution. Switch to a US university. The degree you will earn will be more easily recognized in the USA, and it will be a good way to ease in to US life.

Simple solution. Switch to a US university. The degree you will earn will be more easily recognized in the USA, and it will be a good way to ease in to US life.

It will not be possible to switch to an US university. Hence, the original question. What are my options?
Please help!

I do agree with Simon about switching over to a US university. However, there's the option of applying for a re-entry permit which is good for 2 years, you apply for a new one towards the end of the second year to cover your 3rd/last year of schooling.

It will not be possib Thenle to switch to an US university. Hence, the original question. What are my options?
Please help!
I do agree with Simon about switching over to a US university. However, there's the option of applying for a re-entry permit which is good for 2 years, you apply for a new one towards the end of the second year to cover your 3rd/last year of schooling.

I'm not sure why it would not be possible - but anyway...

You can do as Mom suggests. If you are a DV2017 winner you can delay your processing until summer 2017. Don't submit your DS260 early - sit on it until next April or even early May.... That way you delay your interview and your first entry could be in early 2018, which will mean the 2 year re-entry permit will cover you until 2020!

I have already submitted mine DS260 form, in this case should I unlock this? If DS260 is submitted late (in March 2017) then do I run the risk of not getting in an interview?

I have already submitted mine DS260 form, in this case should I unlock this? If DS260 is submitted late (in March 2017) then do I run the risk of not getting in an interview?

Unlock it asap. That "usually" stops processing.

Submitting in March/April won't cause a risk to getting interview, which is why I suggested it.