• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Starts Today

Just submitted my entry. The first time I hit submit, I received no confirmation number. I tried again a few minutes later and received a number. I sure hope I have not entered twice. It seems to me that many people have been having this issue. It really astounds me at how shit the US government is at building websites. The number of issues that the DV lottery has had over the years is too damn high. A good way to solve this issue, and to stop people from losing confirmation numbers, would be to send applicants an email confirmation after a successful application.

It's far easier to blame the US government rather than looking at how best one can sort the issue from our end. I have applied a couple of times during various stages of the registration period with no issues whatsoever. I'll list some of the stuff that can help in cases like these.

1) Have a dedicated link to your broadband connection (using an RJ-45 Ethernet cable plugged directly into a router (preferred as connections are less likely to be lost) or a modem.

2) Ensure that the internet connection doesn't have other traffic competing for bandwidth (any streaming data, other webpages loading etc).

3)Use a browser that has been proven to be compatible with the site (Firefox (I can vouch for it since I use it) or IE (as confirmed by other members))

4)Ensure other programs such as your anti virus or firewall options are not too intrusive as these can also cause issues.

5) Finally, the most important thing to look into is whether you have a stable internet connection (one that is only likely to be disconnected if you do so from you end).

If you follow the steps I have mentioned above, you shouldn't have any issues. Have never given me any issues throughout my long browsing career.

Almost two weeks have passed since registration opened, my warm wishes to all those taking part and all the very best to each and every one of you.

It is a bit scary that you only get your confirmation number once on the screen, I saved the page as a PDF and uploaded it to google drive just in case. I think the e-mail thing is a two-edged sword, a lot of scam e-mails going around and IMO its better that they don't send any e-mails from the official site to avoid confusion.

If you applied 2 times by mistake you will be disqualified, so I understand that it is frustrating if you don't know if the 1st attempt was registered.

Last edited:
For everyone that was frustrated when you didn't get a confirmation number and so on.

Were you not somewhat calmed by the DV 2018 instructions FAQ which says this...

22. I hit the “Submit" button, but did not receive a confirmation number. If I submit another entry, will I be disqualified?
If you did not receive a confirmation number, your entry was not recorded. You must submit another entry. It will not be counted as a duplicate. Once you receive a confirmation number, do not resubmit your information.

For everyone that was frustrated when you didn't get a confirmation number and so on.

Were you not somewhat calmed by the DV 2018 instructions FAQ which says this...

22. I hit the “Submit" button, but did not receive a confirmation number. If I submit another entry, will I be disqualified?
If you did not receive a confirmation number, your entry was not recorded. You must submit another entry. It will not be counted as a duplicate. Once you receive a confirmation number, do not resubmit your information.

Past experience shows not nearly enough people read the instruction packet properly...

As an aside: I see they are also now explicit in the instructions that reusing the same photo from the previous year will disqualify you - I don't think I've seen this spelt out before. Further improvements in the photo software/tracking vs past entries? And possiblyon other factors from past entries too?

Past experience shows not nearly enough people read the instruction packet properly...

As an aside: I see they are also now explicit in the instructions that reusing the same photo from the previous year will disqualify you - I don't think I've seen this spelt out before. Further improvements in the photo software/tracking vs past entries? And possiblyon other factors from past entries too?

Yeah, that extra detail is new - and yes it would be very easy to check if someone re-used a photo from a previous year. I also think the electronic data now held in the DS260 is more easily compared to older entries. This will probably increase the holes rate.

Hi guys

Honestly when do you think is best time to apply? I already did mine on the first day and people are still entering and some are yet to enter. Was I too fast? My spouse did his on the second day.

The year we won, we applied on the second to last day of the lottery. It really makes no difference. There are people who apply on the first day and aren't selected while others - like myself - apply right at the end and we win it. It's genuinely a random selection.

The most important thing is to make sure the information is correct.

Hi guys

Honestly when do you think is best time to apply? I already did mine on the first day and people are still entering and some are yet to enter. Was I too fast? My spouse did his on the second day.

Particular day/time of entry is irrelevant. Selection is completely random.

Hi guys

It's RANDOM. It doesn't matter.

please guide me
When registering my age was wrong
Is my registration is canceled?

Do you mean you entered the wrong birthdate? Why? If you got selected you'd almost certainly be denied. And you can't submit another entry for the same fiscal year.

Hi, how does a single lady with a severed relationship apply with her baby without the father of the baby?

What do you mean by "severed relationship"?

If she was never married to the guy, or if she was and is now divorced, she simply needs to submit her eDV registration with her own information and that of the baby.

What do you mean by "severed relationship"?

If she was never married to the guy, or if she was and is now divorced, she simply needs to submit her eDV registration with her own information and that of the baby.

She was never married, what status should she select for her to include the baby in application with no prompt to fill in for the baby's father?

She was never married, what status should she select for her to include the baby in application with no prompt to fill in for the baby's father?

She will select unmarried - that option wouldn't come up with a prompt for a spouse's information. After that she goes to the next level/question to list number of children and the child's information.

We have lived with my spouse now 7yrs, we have a kid bt we don't av any proof of marriage...do I apply as married or single.

We have lived with my spouse now 7yrs, we have a kid bt we don't av any proof of marriage...do I apply as married or single.

Is your spouse actually a spouse? If there is no proof of marriage at all then you don't actually have a "spouse" and you need to apply as single.

@SusieQQQ thanks for ur quick response.... Help me clarify one thing..at our workplaces we have registered each other as spouses, share joint accounts., covered each other medically...

@SusieQQQ thanks for ur quick response.... Help me clarify one thing..at our workplaces we have registered each other as spouses, share joint accounts., covered each other medically...

Sounds like you live in a country that recognizes common law marriage. However for the DV purpose, if you haven't formally registered your relationship as a civil or religious union evidenced with the issuance of a marriage certificate you are considered single. So you'll both have to select 'unmarried' as your marital status.