• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hey guys!

Won the lottery, super excited. But it looks like it's going to be a long and tricky process for me. I have a decent case number- 5XX which I'm pleased about.

My biggest problem right now is the social security issue. I was in the states for a couple of years from the age of 21 and was issued an SSN. However, I then lost it. I've looked absolutely everywhere and no luck.
On the DS-260 it just asks if you have an SSN or if you need one. If you have one, you have to fill it out. I rang the KCC and he basically just said: "You need to get it." My problem is, as a non-US citizen or resident, it's going to be really hard for me to get my hands on it and it could take more than 2 months for me to receive it.

I'm a little worried about how many people have been selected for this year in OC. What do you think would be the latest month I could get away with submitting my DS-260? I was actually super excited about my number as I was planning a trip home in Dec/Jan anyway (currently in Europe), but I'm assuming if I delay the 260 I'll miss those months for sure.

I'm hoping that as long as I apply this year, and as long as it only takes a couple of months to process I'll then be able to interview pretty at any time after my number has been called, is that correct?
Thanks!

Hey guys!

Won the lottery, super excited. But it looks like it's going to be a long and tricky process for me. I have a decent case number- 5XX which I'm pleased about.

My biggest problem right now is the social security issue. I was in the states for a couple of years from the age of 21 and was issued an SSN. However, I then lost it. I've looked absolutely everywhere and no luck.
On the DS-260 it just asks if you have an SSN or if you need one. If you have one, you have to fill it out. I rang the KCC and he basically just said: "You need to get it." My problem is, as a non-US citizen or resident, it's going to be really hard for me to get my hands on it and it could take more than 2 months for me to receive it.

I'm a little worried about how many people have been selected for this year in OC. What do you think would be the latest month I could get away with submitting my DS-260? I was actually super excited about my number as I was planning a trip home in Dec/Jan anyway (currently in Europe), but I'm assuming if I delay the 260 I'll miss those months for sure.

I'm hoping that as long as I apply this year, and as long as it only takes a couple of months to process I'll then be able to interview pretty at any time after my number has been called, is that correct?
Thanks!

Relax about the visas running out and timing. They won't. KCC will only release case numbers on the VB to the level they believe they can serve. So - even if your interview is delayed because of the delayed DS260 submission, it won't matter.

Hi guys! I have a question about the DS-260 form. It asks for my parents' place of birth. The State in which my dad was born has changed names since he was born there. Should I put the name of the State at the time he was born or does it not really matter too much? Thanks in advance for the help :)

I don't think it matters. My dad was born in a city that no longer exists but that's the name I put down because it's what is on my birth certificate.

Hello Britsimon, thank you for helping the selectees through the years ... read few of the old posts and got lot of questions answered. My CN is 2018oc2xxx . Should I keep any hope of getting called for an interview./ visa ..I am trying to make some big life decisions and can't hold them off for a year , with no real hope...

Hello Britsimon, thank you for helping the selectees through the years ... read few of the old posts and got lot of questions answered. My CN is 2018oc2xxx . Should I keep any hope of getting called for an interview./ visa ..I am trying to make some big life decisions and can't hold them off for a year , with no real hope...

This year there have been changes to the photo filtering algorithm which may result in a higher cutoff than usual, however 2xxx is really high. My old OC rule-of-thumb is 1500 = 50% chance.

My number was borderline. My advice to another high number person is to go along with your life as normal. Make those big decisions. Don't tell people.

Hey! After numerous failed attempts at the DV I've been shortlisted for OC with CN 11xx. Submitted my ds260 immediately and am hoping for an interview. Can I start planning for a move or is there a risk I won't get an interview before the September 2018 cutoff? Also with this in mind is it worth my while applying for DV2019 if it still exists come October this year?

Thanks in advance for any help i think it's really great this forum exists and that so many people have taken the time to contribute their experiences and expertise. Greetings from Aus.

With OC number, you need to get a bit clearer. 2XXX - but where - 2000 or 2999 - so give us one more digit.

Having said that, in DV2015 the selectees drawn went up to 23XX. Then the cutoff fell at 1490 - and they pretty much used the quota. Honestly - numbers above 1400 are going to have a nervous time and I can't really see how numbers above 2000 are going to get a chance. One big difference this year is the instruction to not re-use the DV2017 photo. They *might* disqualify cases for that reason - but we won't know until the years interviews get going (October). So - for sure you won't know much more for a year and there is simply no way to give you a more accurate answer.

This year there have been changes to the photo filtering algorithm which may result in a higher cutoff than usual, however 2xxx is really high. My old OC rule-of-thumb is 1500 = 50% chance.

My number was borderline. My advice to another high number person is to go along with your life as normal. Make those big decisions. Don't tell people.
With OC number, you need to get a bit clearer. 2XXX - but where - 2000 or 2999 - so give us one more digit.

Having said that, in DV2015 the selectees drawn went up to 23XX. Then the cutoff fell at 1490 - and they pretty much used the quota. Honestly - numbers above 1400 are going to have a nervous time and I can't really see how numbers above 2000 are going to get a chance. One big difference this year is the instruction to not re-use the DV2017 photo. They *might* disqualify cases for that reason - but we won't know until the years interviews get going (October). So - for sure you won't know much more for a year and there is simply no way to give you a more accurate answer.

Thank you for the reply. it is 20XX , close to 2000.
When you say slectees went up to 23XX and the cut off fell at 1490. Is it they interview up to 23XX and only 1490 was issued visas.

Last edited:
No, it meant that they only interviewed up to case number 1490. Any cases after that were not called for interview.

When you say slectees went up to 23XX and the cut off fell at 1490. Is it they interview up to 23XX and only 1490 was issued visas.

No, it meant that they only interviewed up to case number 1490. Any cases after that were not called for interview.

Hmm, it actually meant they only interviewed CN below 1490. Cases from 1490 did not get called for interview.

They had selectees (like you) up to 23XX. They didn't interview anyone above 1489. They issued about 830 visas - which is about the full quota.

Hi everyone, and congrats all the lucky selectees for DV2018

Luckly I am also one of them with CN number (28xxx) I think it's a high CN number also. But with positive vibes I submit my DS-260 already. Unfortunately I made silly mistake with my husband details.

The story is my husband was living in Malaysia for 4years and while submitting his entry and exit information I made mistake about his exit month from Malaysia. I am worried now about its effect on my 2nd letter

Plz advice me!!!!!!

Luckly I am also one of them with CN number (28xxx) I think it's a high CN number also. But with positive vibes I submit my DS-260 already. Unfortunately I made silly mistake with my husband details.

The story is my husband was living in Malaysia for 4years and while submitting his entry and exit information I made mistake about his exit month from Malaysia. I am worried now about its effect on my 2nd letter

Plz advice me!!!!!!

It's not a major problem. You can ask kcc to unlock the ds260 to correct it, or just make the correction at the interview.

Plz advice me!!!!!!

This is an OC region thread. You must be AF or EU with that case number.

Ok, thank you.

So for clarification - at what point would someone who is aware of the process, like Britsimon, be able to have more of a concrete idea as to estimating if DV2018 might go current at some point? Do we need to wait for stats to be released or the first VB? I'm reading as many articles and resources as I can find, but still not entirely clear on how to calculate the likelihood of the next year going current also like DV2016 and DV2017.
Hmm, it actually meant they only interviewed CN below 1490. Cases from 1490 did not get called for interview.
thanks for the reply, looking through the historical DV bulletin I saw that most of the regions went current in 2016 does this mean all CN got interviewed ...