• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

I'm filling out my DS-260 now. In regards to dates for university/ high school start and finish, does the "date of attendance from" have to be 100% accurate or can it be approximate in that month? I can't find old academic calendars for my institution. Also, for the "date of attendance to", do I put in when I finish lectures/exams/classes or the date of when I actually graduated/received my certificate (which is often 3-6 months after when I finished classes). I'm concerned, because the date of graduation is often after I have started another job/course.

Hi all, I am technically a selectee, but with a very high number. It would seem it would take a miracle for my number to come up. I'm in the 2100s

Congratulations to all of you, especially those with lower numbers.

I'm joining in because hope springs eternal, and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Hi OC selectees, I'm an OC11xx here! Very thankful to have been chosen and crossing my fingers I'll get an interview. I do have one question, and I wasn't sure where would be most fitting to post it. I've noticed that many embassies require some sort of financial documents that prove the individual won't become a public charge (I read that 10k of funds in a bank acct is generally enough? Could somebody confirm this? I'm currently a student on an F1 visa so my tax returns won't really prove the public charge thing..). However, when I'm reading the DV lottery site and the Auckland consulate guidelines (where I'll most likely be interviewing) it doesn't mention any of these financial documents. Does anyone know why this is? Is it not a requirement?
I'm definitely going to prepare something just in case (this was required at my F1 interview), but could anyone advise me further on what would be sufficient for this?

There are "holes" in the CNs, so they are not (for example) 900 consecutive CNs but 900 valid/existing numbers within a series that goes up to 1200. This happens when an entry is initially selected and assigned a case number, then deemed to be invalid (at that stage usually from a duplicate entry, now possibly also because of reusing old photos) and scrapped - such entrants never get told of course they were an initial selection, they just get "not selected".

Ok, that makes sense, thank you SusieQQQ.

will give you an idea of the number of issued visas.
Be careful with the published selectees count – you can't see selectees from a "2nd draw".
Lastly, don't spend too much time looking at historic visa bulletins. They're fun, but little more. In DV-2016 they raised the cut-off for a while without having any case numbers to make current.

Thank you DV4ROGER, that makes things a little clearer.

Hi OC selectees, I'm an OC11xx here! Very thankful to have been chosen and crossing my fingers I'll get an interview. I do have one question, and I wasn't sure where would be most fitting to post it. I've noticed that many embassies require some sort of financial documents that prove the individual won't become a public charge (I read that 10k of funds in a bank acct is generally enough? Could somebody confirm this? I'm currently a student on an F1 visa so my tax returns won't really prove the public charge thing..). However, when I'm reading the DV lottery site and the Auckland consulate guidelines (where I'll most likely be interviewing) it doesn't mention any of these financial documents. Does anyone know why this is? Is it not a requirement?
I'm definitely going to prepare something just in case (this was required at my F1 interview), but could anyone advise me further on what would be sufficient for this?

You always have to be ready to prove that you won't be a public charge. They may not ask but it's better to be prepared if they do. If you don't have sufficient funds, you may need an Affadavit of Support from someone in the US who will basically vouch that they will support you financially.

Auckland OFTEN ask for financial proof. If you don't have enough cash, you can obtain an I-134 from someone you know in the USA.

OC13xx here, does anyone know how long I would have to make the choice if I want to make the move over? I'm really not sure at this point. I see people here jumping on and submitting their DS260 as fast as they can but I think I need a long time to think about it

Hi awf - I stretched my win out for years.

Selected May
Interview September the year after - 16 months
Activation trip on last day - 6 months after that
Permanent move - 12 months after that

Hi awf - I stretched my win out for years.

Selected May
Interview September the year after - 16 months
Activation trip on last day - 6 months after that
Permanent move - 12 months after that

Pretty much what we did. We interviewed in early June, but stretched it out by delaying document submission for a month (although that was in the days medicals were valid for 12 months, wouldn't work anymore!) we activated 5 days before our visas expired - in retrospect this was stupidly risky as we travelled in winter when flight delays of a few days due to northern hemisphere snowstorms aren't that unusual, and it's not a strategy I'd advise.

Hi :) I have also been lucky to be selected on my second try my CN is OC11xx so I think I am in with a good shot. Not really sure yet if will submit our DS260 as we are a family and my kids are 8 and 12 so there are a few more things to consider in terms of schooling, and I have ageing and sick parents to consider as well!!! But if we do go ahead I just had a couple of ?? We will be on a family holiday in Asia for all of April 2018 so would like to avoid getting an interview around that time if possible and would ideally like to after April as we have quite a bit going on until then. When do you think may be a better time to submit the DS260 so I could possibly get an interview mid year (I know it's no guarantee but just a general idea??) And also does the entire family attend the interview or just the winner?? Thanks

Based on historical numbers for OC, a 11XX number is unlikely to be interviewed before May/June 2018. You could submit now or in July or even in November and you'd still be looking at May/June next year.

The entire family has to attend the interview. Principal and derivatives.

I have two children (11 and 10) so am happy to answer questions about schooling etc.

Great thanks I thought as much but just wanted to have some extra confirmation :) How have your kids adapted to school in the USA and where did you end up choosing to live?? And how did you choose where to live did you base it on job prospects or school zones etc this is where I am stuck we can go anywhere. So it actually is making the decision process more complicated with so much choice.

Great thanks I thought as much but just wanted to have some extra confirmation :) How have your kids adapted to school in the USA and where did you end up choosing to live?? And how did you choose where to live did you base it on job prospects or school zones etc this is where I am stuck we can go anywhere. So it actually is making the decision process more complicated with so much choice.

Just about any state has good schooling options (and bad ones). Generally people will choose on jobs and, if possible , climate. Do you like big cities? Are arts and culture important? Do you like access to a lot of outdoor activities, and if so what type - beach, mountains, rivers etc? Do you prefer your natural disasters to be earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes or blizzards? A lot of people will also choose on politics (being a diehard liberal in the middle of Texas or a diehard conservative in the middle of the Bay Area could make for a lot of discomfort). The great thing about the US is that it's so big and so varied you should be able to find a place that is right for you.

Almost everyone will tell you kids adapt really easily, especially at a younger age. It's the thing people worry about most but it's almost never a problem.

Almost everyone will tell you kids adapt really easily, especially at a younger age. It's the thing people worry about most but it's almost never a problem.

Agreed 100%. The only issue my boys had was that they were behind when they first got here. There are things taught in the American school system that the Aussies won't do. But kids are resilient and mine were caught up within a month.

1) For the past 10+ years (with the exception of 2014/2015) the bulletin has gone 'Current' between June-September. Does this mean OC17XX would have a decent chance at securing an interview by September 2018? I've come to this after seeing multiple posts saying that 'Current' means all selectees get an interview.

2) Does this mean that I essentially will not receive any further correspondence until mid 2018? I've submitted DS260 and have received confirmation.

This whole process has been so bizarre, the lack of official information is astounding.

Thanks Emily, but I've been through that website extensively, and it doesn't explain anything about Visa Bulletins or half the information you guys have come up with on these forums. That's how I ended up here in the first place. It also doesn't provide any information regarding timelines once the DS260 form has been submitted.

Could you please help with the questions above? I'm really having difficulty getting any responses for what I thought were quite simple questions...

Thanks again :)