• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

I am from Australia, currently on an E3 visa, entered the US back in June 2017. My CN is now current (OC47x) and am collating my AOS package.

1.Do I need to provide the I765 EAD and I312 AP forms?

2.The AOS package checklist mentioned to include the I797 NOA form. I have a photocopy of my E3 visa to indicate current visa status so do I still need to include I797 in my package?

3.Do I need to submit the affidavits of support? I have a decent income but not a lot of savings. I have superannuation and a property in Australia which I’m still paying off.

4.how much liquid asset do I need to show so I don’t have to file an affidavit of support?

Appreciate any advices you have!

1. If you plan on leaving your current employer or you think you may need to travel out of the US while your AOS is pending, then yes to both the EAD and AP forms/Card. Please see the AOS process spreadsheet for more guidance on this.

2. If you have an I-797, include a copy.

3. If your annual income meets the applicable poverty guidance level in your case, you don’t need to include an affidavit of support. Your superannuation, which is equivalent to a 401K in the US cannot be used to overcome public charge concerns. Same with your property in Australia, this might have been taken into consideration if you were processing CP.

4. Again they’re mostly concerned with the annual income. Your income is expected to be 125% above the poverty guideline level. I don’t know your income not household size, so I can’t say how much you need to be earning.

Review the attached link to determine what is applicable in your case:
https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864p.pdf?download=1

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having trouble filling out section 26.c 'Status on Form I-94'?
My I-94 says my class of admission is E3 however when i go to type this in the box it says only letters are allowed. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Aaron

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having trouble filling out section 26.c 'Status on Form I-94'?
My I-94 says my class of admission is E3 however when i go to type this in the box it says only letters are allowed. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Aaron
Type it using letters only or you can add letters/numbers if you're using web browser (I did in Chrome).

You can see that I typed E3 as Status and D/S as Expiration Date

Untitled1.jpg

Hey mom and everyone,,

I have question regarding how and when to inform my school about my plans to do AOS , i am on F1 ,my CN was current in December,i did the bio and waiting for interview

my studies will end in a month from now I recieved email from my DSO to file a termination of study form which contain part that ask about what are you planning to do after the grace period ( the 60 days that follow your end date of study) with options 1-i want to change my visa type 2-i will transfer into another school 3 - i will go back home
I am supposed to file this form at least 2 weeks before my study end date
Do you think i should file it now ? Or wait 2 weeks more ?
Is it risky if my DSO know about my plans ?
Thanks for your guidance mom ,you are doing a great help, massive respect

Hi Mom
Our Case # EU376xx We recently submitted Ds-260 and selected AOS. I think If our number become current by July we might have chance to get the GC by the end of September. Our Passport is expiring by Dec 2018 and we are thinking about getting a new one just incase if we change our mind to do CP. Do you know after submitting DS260 with old Passport information getting a new passport will have complications?

Hey mom and everyone,,

I have question regarding how and when to inform my school about my plans to do AOS , i am on F1 ,my CN was current in December,i did the bio and waiting for interview

my studies will end in a month from now I recieved email from my DSO to file a termination of study form which contain part that ask about what are you planning to do after the grace period ( the 60 days that follow your end date of study) with options 1-i want to change my visa type 2-i will transfer into another school 3 - i will go back home
I am supposed to file this form at least 2 weeks before my study end date
Do you think i should file it now ? Or wait 2 weeks more ?
Is it risky if my DSO know about my plans ?
Thanks for your guidance mom ,you are doing a great help, massive respect

What I usually recommend for students is to wait until they have their GC before informing them of their new status - not before, and not during the process either. There are verified stories of students who “accidentally” got terminated from SERVIS when they informed their of their AOS plan.

So if you hadn’t been selected for DV, what would have been your next plan/option upon the completion of your studies?

Hi Mom
Our Case # EU376xx We recently submitted Ds-260 and selected AOS. I think If our number become current by July we might have chance to get the GC by the end of September. Our Passport is expiring by Dec 2018 and we are thinking about getting a new one just incase if we change our mind to do CP. Do you know after submitting DS260 with old Passport information getting a new passport will have complications?

There are no complications with getting a new passport.

What I usually recommend for students is to wait until they have their GC before informing them of their new status - not before, and not during the process either. There are verified stories of students who “accidentally” got terminated from SERVIS when they informed their of their AOS plan.

So if you hadn’t been selected for DV, what would have been your next plan/option upon the completion of your studies?

I was planning to enroll in a new courses and issue new I 20
Thanks for your response,,

I was planning to enroll in a new courses and issue new I 20
Thanks for your response,,
I guess this will depend on what you meant with the underlined part of your earlier response:
"my studies will end in a month from now I recieved (sic) email from my DSO to file a termination of study form which contain part that ask about what are you planning to do after the grace period ( the 60 days that follow your end date of study) with options 1-i want to change my visa type 2-i will transfer into another school 3 - i will go back home".
Depending on your current status with your I-20 issuing university/college, simply enrolling in new courses at your current university might possibly not be an option open to you, the message you received from the International Office at least seems to suggest as much. It probably will be best to meet with them in person to discuss your actual options based on your current F-1 status, without mentioning any DV or AoS plans as Sm1smom rightly suggested above. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, went to my local office for an infopass today and was told that my case was awaiting scheduling. Lady told me to wait for the interview letter and that my background check was done. Hopefully other NY peeps start getting their letters soon as well

hello Sm1smon,

my wife and me are currently in the states on L2 AND L1A visas, and have been selected for 2018 DV program, we were planning to go with AOS but now we are strongly leaning towards CP for 2 reasons the first my work here may end any time starting from March and the second reason is that our case number is 19000 something (from Egypt) and this year the numbers are kind of slow compared to past years , checking the timeline tab on your spread sheet AOS (I think ) will be really risky for our case, the only step we have taken till date is filling out the DS 260 and we received the email from KCC confirming our intention to do AOS
I have read the AOS spreadsheet and checked several articles on britsimons website before posting , of course we see that the AOS is much more convenient option but fell all the pointers are going to CP , and I am putting out this post in hope that u can give us your opinion on which path is our best bet,

PS; the efforts you are putting here is incredibly helpful, thanks

Hello Sm1smon,

62 days passed since the receipt date for my OPT application. I am current for DV AOS in January.

I wanted to wait to get the work permit before filing for AOS, but the turn things are taking on the political scene are really making me nervous.

I would highly appreciate your advice. Should I keep waiting for the work permit or go ahead and file for AOS?

Thank you for yout usual support

hello Sm1smon,

my wife and me are currently in the states on L2 AND L1A visas, and have been selected for 2018 DV program, we were planning to go with AOS but now we are strongly leaning towards CP for 2 reasons the first my work here may end any time starting from March and the second reason is that our case number is 19000 something (from Egypt) and this year the numbers are kind of slow compared to past years , checking the timeline tab on your spread sheet AOS (I think ) will be really risky for our case, the only step we have taken till date is filling out the DS 260 and we received the email from KCC confirming our intention to do AOS
I have read the AOS spreadsheet and checked several articles on britsimons website before posting , of course we see that the AOS is much more convenient option but fell all the pointers are going to CP , and I am putting out this post in hope that u can give us your opinion on which path is our best bet,

PS; the efforts you are putting here is incredibly helpful, thanks

If your work is likely to end in about two months’ time, then AOS is obviously out of the question. But if that’s not the case, I honestly can’t proffer a personal opinion as to which path is best for you. You’ve gone through the AOS process spreadsheet, so I’m assuming you’ve seen the pros and cons section regarding AOS vs. CP. The best I can do is make available the information that I have, and hope everyone can make the best decision for themselves going forward.

Now, I’m not trying to call you out, but your case happens to be a perfect example of why I prefer to not outrightly give my personal opinion of which process anyone should follow. I understand this is the Internet world, we’re all faceless entities here, so there’s the tendency to often withhold or sometimes provide inadequate/incorrect information (be it intentionally or otherwise). Back in June, you posted your CN was likely to become current in Oct based on your observation of the past VB. And now you say your CN is in the AF19xxx range - AF19xxx has never been current in Oct AFAIK, even for a none limited country.

Again my intention is not to specifically call you out on anything but to explain to everyone why I often refuse to say go the AOS or CP route when they ask what they should do or what are their chances. I don’t have the full picture, the person asking know exactly what their situation is like. So use the information you’ve been provided to make the best choice for yourself.

All the best!

Hello Sm1smon,

62 days passed since the receipt date for my OPT application. I am current for DV AOS in January.

I wanted to wait to get the work permit before filing for AOS, but the turn things are taking on the political scene are really making me nervous.

I would highly appreciate your advice. Should I keep waiting for the work permit or go ahead and file for AOS?

I do know of DV based AOSers who filed AOS petitions while awaiting OPT approval, they successfully completed the process and got their GC. But like you rightly noted, the current political scene is quite unusual. Those people did not have to deal with the sort of anti-immigration sentiment the country is currently going through. So I honestly can’t advice you on what to do. I don’t know how much longer your OPT approval may take. You’ll just have to decide on your own regarding filing AOS now or keep waiting.

Hello Sm1smon,

Follow up responses:

I personally think you should be okay with sending in your AOS package now, but bear in mind the current anti immigration atmosphere.