• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thank you.

Yes I know I don't have to wait 90 days if I go with the CP process but as there is still a chance I go with the AoS (even if I would like to do CP) and I am not in a hurry I prefer to wait.

Noted for the first page, I thought we could unlock this part as well (which made sense for me but if it's the way it is...), I will then submit my DS260 and ask to change the interview location after.

If I do so could my case be slow down? It's maybe a stupid question but with immigration we never know.

Thanks

Thank you.

Yes I know I don't have to wait 90 days if I go with the CP process but as there is still a chance I go with the AoS (even if I would like to do CP) and I am not in a hurry I prefer to wait.

Noted for the first page, I thought we could unlock this part as well (which made sense for me but if it's the way it is...), I will then submit my DS260 and ask to change the interview location after.

If I do so could my case be slow down? It's maybe a stupid question but with immigration we never know.

Thanks

Depending on when you eventually submit your DS260 form and when your CN becomes current. If going the CP route, KCC will need to have enough time to finish processing your DS260 (when your CN becomes current) before scheduling you for an interview.

Hi Sm1smom,
Thank you very much for the details. Definitely, we should be hopeful and positive, rest let them do.
As suggested and considering this particular case, we are going for CP. Thanks once again for your valuable insights.

Hi Mom & Simon,
Thank you very much for your all support and proper guidelines. I absolutely believe that this forum and blog of Mr. Simon “britsimonsays.com” are the best resources in this world for DV Winners.

I followed the suggestion from Mom and gone through almost all blogs, answers from Simon. Finally, I am happy to mention that we got our visa and starting new beginning...

Once again, thank you Mom, Simon and all contributors... Please keep guiding and all the best to all winners!!!

Hi Mom & Simon,
Thank you very much for your all support and proper guidelines. I absolutely believe that this forum and blog of Mr. Simon “britsimonsays.com” are the best resources in this world for DV Winners.

I followed the suggestion from Mom and gone through almost all blogs, answers from Simon. Finally, I am happy to mention that we got our visa and starting new beginning...

Once again, thank you Mom, Simon and all contributors... Please keep guiding and all the best to all winners!!!

That’s great. Congratulations!!! And thank you for coming back to inform us of your successful completion. All the best to you and your wife as you embark on your new journey.

Hi,
Thank you for your guideline and help. Am a DV2018 selectee and my case number is AF34*** I would like to use AOS but my derivatives who are my husband and kid are in my home country, I have already filled their DS260. Based on the current pace in the Visa Bulletin it seems my number may take time to be current. Probably in August or September.
1. What is the process after I get the GC and I inform the USCIS of the need for my family too to be considered?
2. How will they be informed of the interview date in my home country embassy?
3. How long does it take from my interview date to the time they will be interviewed in the embassy?
4. In case I get the GC early in September is there hope they might be interviewed before end of September (Same month) and be successful?
Kindly help with the questions you can be able to answer and thank you for this forum.

Hi,
Thank you for your guideline and help. Am a DV2018 selectee and my case number is AF34*** I would like to use AOS but my derivatives who are my husband and kid are in my home country, I have already filled their DS260. Based on the current pace in the Visa Bulletin it seems my number may take time to be current. Probably in August or September.
1. What is the process after I get the GC and I inform the USCIS of the need for my family too to be considered?
2. How will they be informed of the interview date in my home country embassy?
3. How long does it take from my interview date to the time they will be interviewed in the embassy?
4. In case I get the GC early in September is there hope they might be interviewed before end of September (Same month) and be successful?
Kindly help with the questions you can be able to answer and thank you for this forum.

So, back in May you said Your CN is 33xxx, and your wife and kid are back in your home country. Today, your CN is 34xxx and your husband and kid are back in your home country. Consistency makes it easier to provide the right form of guidance you know.

Anyways,

1. Your FO forwards your case file to the applicable US embassy responsible for your home country.
2. Through your husband/wife’s contact information which is included in his/her DS260 form (I presume?)
3. Can’t be predicted. It depends on the embassy’s schedule and how much pressure you’re able to put on them to schedule the interview.
4. Yes it’s possible. We’ve seen that happen before.

My wife received email/text from USCIS:
Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS National Benefits Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number XXXXXXXXXXX. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

This confirmation provides notification of the date USCIS received your case. This notice does NOT grant any immigration status or benefit. You MAY NOT present this notice as evidence that you have been granted any immigration status or benefit. Further, this notice does NOT constitute evidence that your case remains pending with USCIS. The current status of your case must be verified with USCIS.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

1) I'm principal applicant and I did not receive any confirmation (as well as our child). That's weird that dependent's case was accepted while principal applicant's package was not.
2) I thought that cases are transferred to NBC only if you apply for I-765 and/or I-131. But we did not apply for those (I-485 only). Is it okay that our case will be routed to NBC?

My wife received email/text from USCIS:

1) I'm principal applicant and I did not receive any confirmation (as well as our child). That's weird that dependent's case was accepted while principal applicant's package was not.
2) I thought that cases are transferred to NBC only if you apply for I-765 and/or I-131. But we did not apply for those (I-485 only). Is it okay that our case will be routed to NBC?

1. It is not unusual for a derivative to receive the acceptance confirmation text/email. Nothing to worry about, it doesn’t mean your package wasn’t accepted. Only one person gets the confirmation text/email.

2. All the cases get routed to the NBC regardless. The NBC schedules the bio.

1. It is not unusual for a derivative to receive the acceptance confirmation text/email. Nothing to worry about, it doesn’t mean your package wasn’t accepted. Only one person gets the confirmation text/email.
Now I figured this out. She received 3 text messages/emails with 3 Receipt Numbers (for all 3 applicants).

Thank you!

Hi mom,

If I apply for AOS a month before my I-20 expires, would I still be able to stay in the country beyond the 90 day grace period (while my application is pending).

So if I receive the NOA after it expires, but before my grace period ends, would I be able to stay then?

I don’t know if the NOA gets issued after the expiration date on your I-20 (during your grace period) will be considered a valid status for AOS purpose.

Sorry just to clarify. Let’s assume my I20 expires before the NOA for AOS is received. I should have mentioned that with OPT pending I have a new I-20 that shows a later expiration date. Did you mean they might not send the NOA for AOS because my visa has expired so I’m no longer on valid status? USCIS has already received my OPT application and I have the NOA for OPT.

Thank you

Sorry just to clarify. Let’s assume my I20 expires before the NOA for AOS is received. I should have mentioned that with OPT pending I have a new I-20 that shows a later expiration date. Did you mean they might not send the NOA for AOS because my visa has expired so I’m no longer on valid status? USCIS has already received my OPT application and I have the NOA for OPT.

Thank you

No I did not mean they will not send NOA for AOS. I don’t know what gave you that impression. And I don’t know why you’re stressing over a none issue if you already have a new I-20.

Even if your current status is no longer valid as at the time of filing AOS, USCIS will still send the NOA. It however doesn’t mean the AOS petition will be approved.

Hi mom,

Just an update, I asked you a few weeks ago about going to an interview without a passport because my passport got stolen, gladly I was able to get a new passport from back home, and now Im waiting for it to be shipped to me. I've already mailed my package, received NOA, and done finger print. and now I m just waiting for my interview.
I just have few questions:
1- for some reason back in the time, I did not do the medical exam and submit it along with the package? should I wait until I get the interview latter or just do it now and mail it??
2- I scheduled an info pass in December 14th just to ask about the processing of my case, do I have to take all the required documents with me ( original birth certificate, original certificates, I20, etc)???
3- this is just a general question, I have noticed from going over old timesheet of the past years that they were good number of cases that were interview through the month of November, however, for this year, none of the cases in the timesheet got assigned interview up to date, does that indicate processing this year is taking longer than previous years?? what do you think??
(thanks in advance, and sorry for asking many questions)

Hi mom,

Just an update, I asked you a few weeks ago about going to an interview without a passport because my passport got stolen, gladly I was able to get a new passport from back home, and now Im waiting for it to be shipped to me. I've already mailed my package, received NOA, and done finger print. and now I m just waiting for my interview.
I just have few questions:
1- for some reason back in the time, I did not do the medical exam and submit it along with the package? should I wait until I get the interview latter or just do it now and mail it??
2- I scheduled an info pass in December 14th just to ask about the processing of my case, do I have to take all the required documents with me ( original birth certificate, original certificates, I20, etc)???
3- this is just a general question, I have noticed from going over old timesheet of the past years that they were good number of cases that were interview through the month of November, however, for this year, none of the cases in the timesheet got assigned interview up to date, does that indicate processing this year is taking longer than previous years?? what do you think??

1. The medical is valid for one year. You can wait until you’re scheduled for an interview to do it, or you can do it now and hold on to it until your interview. You however can’t mail it in on it’s own.

I don’t know your reason for not including the medical report in your AOS package, I know this is allowed but it’s not an option I would recommend for a DV based AOS petition. It is not unusual for an AOS petition to be approved without an interview especially when the package is heavily front loaded, not including the medical or some other pertinent document precludes the possibility of an approval without an interview.

2. It doesn’t hurt to attend an infopass with all of one’s documents (including the medical report in your case). The recommendation is to always attend an infopass appointment with the possibility of being interviewed on the spot - it has happened before.

3. Each FO is responsible for scheduling an interview and this is done based on their workloads. The cases from the previous years that had interviews scheduled in November and those of this year that are still pending, are they from the same FO? Rather than getting alarmed on not seeing any scheduled interview by now, I suggest checking to see if the cases belong to the same FO, and the months in which the cases got filed. If those two are the same then I recommend people in such situations need to start following up on their cases.

There’s also the possibility of people not returning to update their cases on the spreadsheet, it’s not unusual.

Hi Mom @Sm1smom

I would like to buy health insuranse through marketplace Obamacare ACA (using my husband’s income). I don’t know if it is going to affect my AOS case or not. Is having Obamacare subsidies considered as public charge? Is it some kind of part of Medicaid or something? I asked insurance agent and she said it is not Medicaid, I still have premium payment and it shouldn’t affect my case, but I would like to double check with you Mom, because you are familiar with AOSers’ conserns regarding public charge

Hi Mom @Sm1smom

I would like to buy health insuranse through marketplace Obamacare ACA (using my husband’s income). I don’t know if it is going to affect my AOS case or not. Is having Obamacare subsidies considered as public charge? Is it some kind of part of Medicaid or something? I asked insurance agent and she said it is not Medicaid, I still have premium payment and it shouldn’t affect my case, but I would like to double check with you Mom, because you are familiar with AOSers’ conserns regarding public charge

Nope, that does not fall under public charge.

Hi mom,

If you look at the statistics published by DHS, there were only 35 AOS cases processed in Q1 of FY17 (October 2016 - December 2016). On the other hand it was 10 times more in Q2 and Q3.
The fact that 10 out of those 35 cases were people from this forum that bothered to fill 2017 AOS Timelines is just a pure (lucky) coincidence.