• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom,
Thank you so much for all the help you're providing in this forum. I really have learned a lot from reading the threads and the excel sheet.
I've already filed my I 485 and did the biometric last week. Unfortunately, this past summer my backpack got stolen and my passport was in it. The embassy of my country here in the US does not issue new passports, they just issued me a paper stating that I'm a Libyan citizen and they don't issue passports at the moment. In order for me to get a new passport, I have to go back to my country, and that's huge risk for my case that I am not willing to take. It has lately gotten harder for Libyans to get visas, and I am a student here and will be graduating in the summer semester. My question is, do you think going to the interview without a passport might effect my case?? I have pictures of my passport and my visa tho that I already submitted with the I485 package.

The instructions says to attend the interview with the original version of all documents submitted, so I’m not sure if the IO will be accepting of this paper you have. Did you include a copy of it with your AOS package by the way?

The fact that your embassy’s website has posted instructions on how to obtain a new passport and doesn’t say anything about not issuing new passports at the moment may make it hard for the IO to buy your story. Did you file a missing passport report with the police when the loss happened? Do you have a copy of that report?

The instructions says to attend the interview with the original version of all documents submitted, so I’m not sure if the IO will be accepting of this paper you have. Did you include a copy of it with your AOS package by the way?

The fact that your embassy’s website has posted instructions on how to obtain a new passport and doesn’t say anything about not issuing new passports at the moment may make it hard for the IO to buy your story. Did you file a missing passport report with the police when the loss happened? Do you have a copy of that report?
Thanks for taking the time to check that!
They used to issue passports here up until 2015, and I believe they just forgot to update their website. Yes, I did file a missing passport report and I have a copy of it, but I didn't include it in my I485 package. I was just hoping that someone might find my passport and turn it to the police. As of right now, I am really trying to get a passport without going back, but in case I couldn't get, would the police report and the paper from the embassy be enough for the interview? In the I485 instructions, it says "If you are unable to submit the required primary evidence, you may provide secondary evidence", and I just thought that my driver license will be enough, until I hopefully get my green card and go home to apply for a new passport.
Thanks again!!

So, I am on F1 status and currently on OPT and luckily won 2018 DV lottery, do I have to include copies of all of my I-20s as supporting evidence when I file for AOS ??? ALso, do I have to include copies of my EADs ?? Please Help
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to check that!
They used to issue passports here up until 2015, and I believe they just forgot to update their website. Yes, I did file a missing passport report and I have a copy of it, but I didn't include it in my I485 package. I was just hoping that someone might find my passport and turn it to the police. As of right now, I am really trying to get a passport without going back, but in case I couldn't get, would the police report and the paper from the embassy be enough for the interview? In the I485 instructions, it says "If you are unable to submit the required primary evidence, you may provide secondary evidence", and I just thought that my driver license will be enough, until I hopefully get my green card and go home to apply for a new passport.
Thanks again!!

Yes your driver’s license will be enough to get you into the FO - it however cannot take the place of the passport which the IO is required to request to see. Of course it’s possible the IO forgets to ask for it. I don’t know if the police report and the document your embassy issued to you will satisfy the IO. I suppose you’ll find out soon enough if you don’t have a new passport by your interview date.

Hi Mom,
Thank you so much for all the help you're providing in this forum. I really have learned a lot from reading the threads and the excel sheet.
I've already filed my I 485 and did the biometric last week. Unfortunately, this past summer my backpack got stolen and my passport was in it. The embassy of my country here in the US does not issue new passports, they just issued me a paper stating that I'm a Libyan citizen and they don't issue passports at the moment. In order for me to get a new passport, I have to go back to my country, and that's huge risk for my case that I am not willing to take. It has lately gotten harder for Libyans to get visas, and I am a student here and will be graduating in the summer semester. My question is, do you think going to the interview without a passport might effect my case?? I have pictures of my passport and my visa tho that I already submitted with the I485 package.

When you say you're a student - F1? I thought I had read that a condition of F1 was to always be in possession of a valid unexpired passport? Presumably you informed the international student office at your college that you lost it?

Hi everyone,

From what I read on the Google Spreadsheets put together as the DV AOS Instructions/Guide, it may be advisable not to pay the $330 DV Processing Fee too early for a rather high CN number. My Number is in the 5XXX (five-thousands) for Asia.

From your past experience, those who have paid the $330 Fee, how months in advance of your CN becoming current did you pay this $330 DV Processing Fee?

I'm looking at past Visa Bulletins for 2015-17 and it seems that my number would become current between April and June. Right now it's still early November. Would it be a good idea to pay for the non-refundable $330 Processing Fee now? Or should I wait maybe until January/February next year?

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

From what I read on the Google Spreadsheets put together as the DV AOS Instructions/Guide, it may be advisable not to pay the $330 DV Processing Fee too early for a rather high CN number. My Number is in the 5XXX (five-thousands) for Asia.

From your past experience, those who have paid the $330 Fee, how months in advance of your CN becoming current did you pay this $330 DV Processing Fee?

I'm looking at past Visa Bulletins for 2015-17 and it seems that my number would become current between April and June. Right now it's still early November. Would it be a good idea to pay for the non-refundable $330 Processing Fee now? Or should I wait maybe until January/February next year?

Thanks a lot!

There is no point in rushing to pay the fee, however, your number is not particularly high.

I had my bio metrics done on 11/8, but when I tried checking my status online it's still saying "Finger Print Fee was Received". USCIS haven't updated the case since 10/25. Is this normal on other cases too ? Doesn't USCIS update the case status as per recent activity? Do they update Monthly ? Please Advise.
Thank you.

I had my bio metrics done on 11/8, but when I tried checking my status online it's still saying "Finger Print Fee was Received". USCIS haven't updated the case since 10/25. Is this normal on other cases too ? Doesn't USCIS update the case status as per recent activity? Do they update Monthly ? Please Advise.
Thank you.

It is normal. You wouldn’t see any updates until your petition gets adjudicated - the AOS process spreadsheet explains all these.

Hi everyone,
In your AOS process, I am in between step 4 and 5 which means that I received the email from KCC confirming my intention to do AOS but I'm now waiting because my CN is high.
I am currently renewing my EAD and I am wondering if I am already considered as AOS pending or not yet. It's important because if I am, the address to send my renewal package is different.
Thanks for you answer.

Hi everyone,
In your AOS process, I am in between step 4 and 5 which means that I received the email from KCC confirming my intention to do AOS but I'm now waiting because my CN is high.
I am currently renewing my EAD and I am wondering if I am already considered as AOS pending or not yet. It's important because if I am, the address to send my renewal package is different.
Thanks for you answer.

You're not AOS pending since you're yet to file for AOS. All you've done to date is signify an intent to file/process AOS.

My CN is bewtwen 6000 and 6100. I am worried that due to the large number of selectees this year will follow the 2015 pattern and my case may become current late. In that case, I may not have enough time to be approved by September 30. Is it better then to do consular processing?
I read here DV cases follow a different timeline?
I read something about early submission policy. What is that?
Thank you.

When you say you're a student - F1? I thought I had read that a condition of F1 was to always be in possession of a valid unexpired passport? Presumably you informed the international student office at your college that you lost it?
No, I have not. I just never though of that, but I will. Thanks for letting me know

Hi,

I'm going to write a check for my AOS petition and I'm confused what I should write in 'FOR' section. Purpose of payment? Or my name and case number?

My CN is bewtwen 6000 and 6100. I am worried that due to the large number of selectees this year will follow the 2015 pattern and my case may become current late. In that case, I may not have enough time to be approved by September 30. Is it better then to do consular processing?
I read here DV cases follow a different timeline?
I read something about early submission policy. What is that?
Thank you.

1. You asked about this before back in June, and this was my response then (which remains the same by the way):
AOS timing from filing to case adjudication varies from FO to FO. Take a look at all the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the duration for your FO, or any other FO listed there.

I allow each person to determine on their own if AOS is viable for them - I don't know their specific situation so I cannot broadly advise on which way to go based on just being in the US. Weigh the pros and cons (already listed on the AOS process spreadsheet) and decide on which process is best suited for your.

2. Yes DV based AOS follows a different timeline.

3. Early submission means you may be able to submit your AOS package up to two months in advance of the actual current date.

I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet - it contains a lot of information you can use in deciding if you want to stick with AOS or switch over to CP. It is also a detailed guide for the AOS proces.