• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thank you for remembering me. I didn't have any desire to offend you anyhow. Moreover I really appreciate what you are doing here. I think enough said how important your posts are.

About CP, H1B was a chance for me to start a new live, so I took the risk. Maybe it was a mistake, I don't now.
After latest Trump's posts I do try to analyze. The news made me nervous a bit. Also just today I found out there is not more 30/60 days rule, but 90 days rule instead.
Is this correct statement that average AOS by DV processing takes takes about 3-4 months and the application needs to be approved prior to September 30, 2018?
Thanks!

Thank you for remembering me. I didn't have any desire to offend you anyhow. Moreover I really appreciate what you are doing here. I think enough said how important your posts are.

About CP, H1B was a chance for me to start a new live, so I took the risk. Maybe it was a mistake, I don't now.
After latest Trump's posts I do try to analyze. The news made me nervous a bit. Also just today I found out there is not more 30/60 days rule, but 90 days rule instead.
Is this correct statement that average AOS by DV processing takes takes about 3-4 months and the application needs to be approved prior to September 30, 2018?
Thanks!

And you will notice I never said anything regarding 30/60 day waiting, that’s because I know it is no longer applicable.

Yes AOS processing takes 3 - 4 months on average, could take a bit longer. Check the AOS Timeline spreadsheets for a better understanding of the average processing time for the different FOs. You’ll find links to the Timelines from the AOS process spreadsheet which is linked to the first post on page one of this thread. And yes, all DV 2018 must be on or before Sept. 30th.

Hello,
I am extremely sorry if I sound stupid with this question. But all these news/facts these days confused me a bit, so I have an question for mom.

My husband and I didn't travel out of country after 2015. He graduated recently and his company already processed H1B and it got approved recently. I planned to graduate, but due to my pregnancy complications, I took a break and my F1 is extended till May 2018 from school due to health issues.

My husbands company just filed H4 visa for me. I believe it will take some months to process. We went ahead with H4 with out waiting till May 2018, due to current impending pregnancy and related issues.

Our number is AS 53**, so ours will not be available soon.( We are expecting it will drag till May according to the current rate of Visa Bulletin) . I simply want to know, is there any contradictions in our case with these 90 day rule? I know the rule strictly talk about entry to US, but it has phrases about intention, so I am just wondering if my 'change of status towards non immigrant H4 application' will cause any interference with the AOS process if we send our AOS in March( assuming we will be current in May)?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am extremely sorry if I sound stupid with this question. But all these news/facts these days confused me a bit, so I have an question for mom.

My husband and I didn't travel out of country after 2015. He graduated recently and his company already processed H1B and it got approved recently. I planned to graduate, but due to my pregnancy complications, I took a break and my F1 is extended till May 2018 from school due to health issues.

My husbands company just filed H4 visa for me. I believe it will take some months to process. We went ahead with H4 with out waiting till May 2018, due to current impending pregnancy and related issues.

Our number is AS 53**, so ours will not be available soon.( We are expecting it will drag till May according to the current rate of Visa Bulletin) . I simply want to know, is there any contradictions in our case with these 90 day rule? I know the rule strictly talk about entry to US, but it has phrases about intention, so I am just wondering if my 'change of status towards non immigrant H4 application' will cause any interference with the AOS process if we send our AOS in March( assuming we will be current in May)?

Thank you in advance.

Nope, you’re good. And the you didn’t sound stupid :)

Hi,

My sister is getting married in October 2018. By the end of September 2018 I should know whether I get the green card or don't. So I assume there won't be a problem for me to leave USA in October 2018?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi,

My sister is getting married in October 2018. By the end of September 2018 I should know whether I get the green card or don't. So I assume there won't be a problem for me to leave USA in October 2018?

Thank you very much for your help!

There shouldn’t be.

Hi Everyone,

My spouse today received an email (2nd NL) from KCC titled "Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter". We are planning to do AOS here in the U.S.

Now, we know that we have to pay the $330 fee/applicant, but my question is, can we combine the payments for the two applicants (for My Spouse - the primary applicant, and myself - the derivative) or should we send the payments separately?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

My spouse today received an email (2nd NL) from KCC titled "Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter". We are planning to do AOS here in the U.S.

Now, we know that we have to pay the $330 fee/applicant, but my question is, can we combine the payments for the two applicants (for My Spouse - the primary applicant, and myself - the derivative) or should we send the payments separately?

Thanks!
I sent 1 DV payment for all my family (3 persons, who plan to adjust status = $990)

They will send you a paper with a stamp "PAID" (I attached my copy without my data)DV fee receipt.jpg
you will include the copy of the receipt in your AOS package

They will send you a paper with a stamp "PAID" (I attached my copy without my data)View attachment 775
you will include the copy of the receipt in your AOS package
Actually, one more question: in the 2nd NL as well as information on travel.state.gov website, it says that the payment should be in the form of a Cashier's Check or Money Order. What about a Personal Check? Has anyone ever mailed a Personal Check instead and could confirm if it's acceptable?

Actually, one more question: in the 2nd NL as well as information on travel.state.gov website, it says that the payment should be in the form of a Cashier's Check or Money Order. What about a Personal Check? Has anyone ever mailed a Personal Check instead and could confirm if it's acceptable?

You’ve already seen the instructions from the official source as to the acceptable forms of payment. Follow the instructions!

Hi Mom,
I got some questions
Background: My spouse, the 2018 DV selectee of Asia #5xxx, who is changing the status. The i-539 was submitted on May this year, changing from H1B to F2(i'm F1). My spouse got the receipt (I797C) and the case was accepted by Vermont center. Till now we have not received the confirmation of the change of status 797A. Till today, we have not send out DS260. The number for Dec is 2500 for Asia, probably 5xxx will current next year April maybe. But we are worried some problems..

Question 1 is can we submit 260 before we receive the change of status confirmation letter (797A) ?
Question 2 is In I539, part 4-3,4,5 regarding to immigration petition questions, we all answered NO. But If we submit the DS 260, before we have 797A. Will this causing deny?
Question 3 is in the google docs_AOS package: the f.) isI-797 Notice of Action – Indicating Current Visa Status (If applicable). What if we still do not have the I797A for change of status application and our number is current and we need to submit the AOS package to Chicago lock box.. Which means our AOS package does not include the 797A, will this causing deny, or reject??

Many thanks!!

Hi Mom,
I got some questions
Background: My spouse, the 2018 DV selectee of Asia #5xxx, who is changing the status. The i-539 was submitted on May this year, changing from H1B to F2(i'm F1). My spouse got the receipt (I797C) and the case was accepted by Vermont center. Till now we have not received the confirmation of the change of status 797A. Till today, we have not send out DS260. The number for Dec is 2500 for Asia, probably 5xxx will current next year April maybe. But we are worried some problems..

Question 1 is can we submit 260 before we receive the change of status confirmation letter (797A) ?
Question 2 is In I539, part 4-3,4,5 regarding to immigration petition questions, we all answered NO. But If we submit the DS 260, before we have 797A. Will this causing deny?
Question 3 is in the google docs_AOS package: the f.) isI-797 Notice of Action – Indicating Current Visa Status (If applicable). What if we still do not have the I797A for change of status application and our number is current and we need to submit the AOS package to Chicago lock box.. Which means our AOS package does not include the 797A, will this causing deny, or reject??

Many thanks!!

I typically limit the guidance I provide here to straight forward DV process. But I’m curious, why the rush to submit your DS260 form against waiting like you’ve been doing? Your CN is far from being current, so why the stress?

Hi Mom,

I´m a DV2018 winner and I´ve got some questions. My CN is EU21XXX so comparing with other years it should be current in April. At the moment I´m in the US with an E2 visa and I´m travelling back to Europe for Christmas. I haven´t filled out yet the DS-260 as I´ve been reading about the 90 days rule and my CN is high, but if I have to wait 90 days after entering again in January it will be already April, I don´t know if it´s too late for AOS and I should choose CP instead. Or the 90 days rule could not apply to my type of visa?

Many thanks!,

Hi Mom,

I´m a DV2018 winner and I´ve got some questions. My CN is EU21XXX so comparing with other years it should be current in April. At the moment I´m in the US with an E2 visa and I´m travelling back to Europe for Christmas. I haven´t filled out yet the DS-260 as I´ve been reading about the 90 days rule and my CN is high, but if I have to wait 90 days after entering again in January it will be already April, I don´t know if it´s too late for AOS and I should choose CP instead. Or the 90 days rule could not apply to my type of visa?

Many thanks!,

It’s not too late to file AOS in April.

Hi Mom,
Thank you so much for all the help you're providing in this forum. I really have learned a lot from reading the threads and the excel sheet.
I've already filed my I 485 and did the biometric last week. Unfortunately, this past summer my backpack got stolen and my passport was in it. The embassy of my country here in the US does not issue new passports, they just issued me a paper stating that I'm a Libyan citizen and they don't issue passports at the moment. In order for me to get a new passport, I have to go back to my country, and that's huge risk for my case that I am not willing to take. It has lately gotten harder for Libyans to get visas, and I am a student here and will be graduating in the summer semester. My question is, do you think going to the interview without a passport might effect my case?? I have pictures of my passport and my visa tho that I already submitted with the I485 package.