• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

3. When you send in your DS-260 form has no impact on AOS processing.

Hi,
I'd like to get a clarification on DS-260 submission during AoS. There are multiple contradicting statements on the internet (even in this very thread) regarding the fact *when* we should file DS-260. On the one hand, it was suggested on multiple occasions that it's OK to file it even today. On the other hand, it doesn't influence the process and can be filed wherever. My specific question:

1) isn't the time when my CN becomes current the *most* suitable period to do this?

Thank you for your answer. One thing though, I haven't started OPT or won't start within the next year.I work as a graduate student instructor which you can do with an F1 visa without exceeding 20 hrs/week.

The Detroit case that was never solved is in the last page DV2016 aos only theread. I am sorry I was not allowed to paste the link since I do not have 5 messages in the forum.

Here is the last part of he link : /threads/dv-2016-aos-only.326148/page-199#post-2443842:

Just like I guessed, the case in question had a pending background check, which I mentioned in my previous response to you. It had nothing to do with the Detroit FO not having a good understanding of the DV based AOS process. Plus the applicant in this case didn't seem to have diligently followed up on her case IMO!

See the AOS spreadsheet for more EAD guidance like I earlier explained if you wish to work more than 20 hours while your AOS petition is pending.

Hi,
I'd like to get a clarification on DS-260 submission during AoS. There are multiple contradicting statements on the internet (even in this very thread) regarding the fact *when* we should file DS-260. On the one hand, it was suggested on multiple occasions that it's OK to file it even today. On the other hand, it doesn't influence the process and can be filed wherever. My specific question:

1) isn't the time when my CN becomes current the *most* suitable period to do this?

No, the time when your CN becomes current is when you should have already done everything and be all ready to submit your package.

Thank you so much for the wonderful spreadsheet and for creating this thread. It makes my understanding of the AOS process a whole lot easier!

My wife has been selected with case number EU 5xxx. She is a J2 holder as my dependent, along with our child. After many failed attempts, we feel very fortunate to have been selected this year, and with such a low number at that.

After reading the spreadsheet and the posts on this thread, a couple questions remain:

(1) We intend to travel outside the U.S. from June 15 to July 15. What is the danger of submitting the DS-260 now? Is it because of the double-intent clause or is there another reason? If it is indeed the reason, is it such a great risk?

(2) If we submit the AOS package in early to mid-August (2 months before October), what is the earliest date we can expect to be interviewed? Receive the GC?

(3) Our US address will most likely change sometime between September and December of this year. How could that impact the AOS process? We can possibly move out during summer instead. Would that be something to consider?

Tha

Thanks mom,

A question related to FO.
1. Which step, determines the FO location?
My currently lived in AZ, but might move to CT in the future. I don't want to have an interview location at AZ office after I move to CT.
2. When I receive interview letter with date and location, is it doable to make changes at that point?

Your FO is determined based on the home address listed on your I-485. If you move to a new address/location after USCIS has already accepted your AOS petition, it may create some intended delay for you. If your new address falls under a different FO with jurisdiction over your case, the previous FO will not interview or adjudicate your case. They will need to forward your petition to the new FO which could be months. If the plan is to move before submitting your AOS package, then you should be okay with the move.

Hi,

There's is no contradicting statement whatsoever on this Thread regarding when to submit the DS260, you simply need to allow yourself to understand the process.

DS-260 has no impact on the AOS process, you're only submitting it for the purpose of informing KCC of your intention. It doesn't get processed by KCC like they do for CP cases. So you can submit when you want, however the sooner you submit it, the sooner you'll get your 2NL which for AOS is simply an acknowledgment and the DV administrative fee payment instruction.

If you wait until your CN becomes current before submitting, you'll definitely not have your 2NL on hand to include with your AOS package, and I'm not saying not having the 2NL with the AOS package will lead to a denial. The only part of the process influenced by when your CN becomes current is the AOS package submission itself.

I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet.

No, the time when your CN becomes current is when you should have already done everything and be all ready to submit your package.

Let me rephrase the question: What is the latest possible date for filling DS260, so that it doesn't cause any delays?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently on J2 (fortunately without 2yr rule) that expires in August. However, I'm also in the process of acquiring a cap exempt H1B. For the latter I already got the prevailing wage from DoL and my LCA notice has been already posted. It means that my AoS application (for J2 -> H1B) should be filed within 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, with the suspension of expedited processing that may take a while. In order to keep the continuity of employment, my wife is going to request an extension for her J1, which will allow me to apply for an extension on my EAD.

It has been suggested to me that I should wait with any DV related actions till I get a new EAD at least, or even better: wait for the H1B visa.

Thank you so much for the wonderful spreadsheet and for creating this thread. It makes my understanding of the AOS process a whole lot easier!

My wife has been selected with case number EU 5xxx. She is a J2 holder as my dependent, along with our child. After many failed attempts, we feel very fortunate to have been selected this year, and with such a low number at that.

After reading the spreadsheet and the posts on this thread, a couple questions remain:

(1) We intend to travel outside the U.S. from June 15 to July 15. What is the danger of submitting the DS-260 now? Is it because of the double-intent clause or is there another reason? If it is indeed the reason, is it such a great risk?

(2) If we submit the AOS package in early to mid-August (2 months before October), what is the earliest date we can expect to be interviewed? Receive the GC?

(3) Our US address will most likely change sometime between September and December of this year. How could that impact the AOS process? We can possibly move out during summer instead. Would that be something to consider?

1. Submitting the DS-260 signifies an immigrant intent. You will be seeking re-admission with a NIV - when you're admitted on a NIV, you're saying you have no plans of staying back in the US. If you must travel, I recommend you hold off on submitting the DS form.

2. I don't know. It depends on your FO. Refer to the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for your FO and that of others.

3. A change of address while your petition is pending will could introduce some delay, especially if your new address falls under a different FO. The current FO will need to transfer your petition to the new FO with jurisdiction.

Your FO is determined based on the home address listed on your I-485. If you move to a new address/location after USCIS has already accepted your AOS petition, it may create some intended delay for you. If your new address falls under a different FO with jurisdiction over your case, the previous FO will not interview or adjudicate your case. They will need to forward your petition to the new FO which could be months. If the plan is to move before submitting your AOS package, then you should be okay with the move.
Thank you!

Just pop up with a FY question.
The fiscal year 2018(October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018) is for DV2018. So what is the most important part that must have to inside this range (interview date, or CPO)?
Is the interview date must be in the range? Or the CPO notice date within this range?
It is more like a person had interview in mid September 2018, and CPO on Sep 30th 2018. = safe
Or a person had interview on Sep 30th 2018 is also consider safe even though the CPO is next month or two.

Hello, i have been selected for the 2018 dv lottery and i am already in the usa. I am an asylum seeker and my case is pending processing. I came into the usa on December 15th 2016 with an f1 visa but i didn't attend school. I guess my sevis records have been cancelled. I applied for asylum on the 17 of January 2017. I do not know if the sevis records were cancelled by then. My case is still pending and i just received a notification to go for fingerprint. I do not know how to follow my dv lottery process. *Am i eligible for a change of status? *Where do i begin from? *How long will it take to get a green card if i begin the process immediately. *Do i need a lawyer for this case?
Thanks immensely for your responses.

Thank you!

Just pop up with a FY question.
The fiscal year 2018(October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018) is for DV2018. So what is the most important part that must have to inside this range (interview date, or CPO)?
Is the interview date must be in the range? Or the CPO notice date within this range?
It is more like a person had interview in mid September 2018, and CPO on Sep 30th 2018. = safe
Or a person had interview on Sep 30th 2018 is also consider safe even though the CPO is next month or two.

Interview and approval must happen by COB Sept 30th 2018.

Hello, i have been selected for the 2018 dv lottery and i am already in the usa. I am an asylum seeker and my case is pending processing. I came into the usa on December 15th 2016 with an f1 visa but i didn't attend school. I guess my sevis records have been cancelled. I applied for asylum on the 17 of January 2017. I do not know if the sevis records were cancelled by then. My case is still pending and i just received a notification to go for fingerprint. I do not know how to follow my dv lottery process. *Am i eligible for a change of status? *Where do i begin from? *How long will it take to get a green card if i begin the process immediately. *Do i need a lawyer for this case?
Thanks immensely for your responses.

Was your asylum petition accepted by USCIS before you were terminated in Sevis or you never even stepped foot on the campus to activate your F1 status?

1. Submitting the DS-260 signifies an immigrant intent. You will be seeking re-admission with a NIV - when you're admitted on a NIV, you're saying you have no plans of staying back in the US. If you must travel, I recommend you hold off on submitting the DS form.

2. I don't know. It depends on your FO. Refer to the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for your FO and that of others.

3. A change of address while your petition is pending will could introduce some delay, especially if your new address falls under a different FO. The current FO will need to transfer your petition to the new FO with jurisdiction.

Thanks a lot mom!

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for this very helpful forum and the spreadsheet.

I've been through the spreadsheet. I have a question regarding the number of tax returns. In the spreadsheet it says 1-3 tax return documents. Is there any case where they require more than 3 years of returns?

Thanks!

I have a similar question to Vicsand, I am in the US on an E3 visa and my wife has been selected in OC region 11XX.

I travel internationally a fair bit for work and we have a trip planned to Australia for a couple weeks over Christmas/New Year.

I have a couple questions.

1) As filing DS-260 will show intent to immigrate, it will be risky to travel internationally on my E3 correct?
2) Due to the highish number for OC region, our lawyer (we have been discussing Green card options through PERM and EB1a) recommended doing CP vs AOS to ensure an interview. My concern with all of this is that if we leave and are denied for some reason we cant come back in (we have pets, house, car, etc). If we do AOS and are denied we can still stay and pursue another GC route.
3) Being we have already had an E3 for a number of years and are financially stable in the US, and have a US born child, can anyone see a reason that if we got an interview we would be denied?
4) I see people recommend filing DS260 ASAP for CP cases vs AOS where it can be filed at any time and wont affect anything, why is this?

So many questions..and so much time to resolve ;-)

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for this very helpful forum and the spreadsheet.

I've been through the spreadsheet. I have a question regarding the number of tax returns. In the spreadsheet it says 1-3 tax return documents. Is there any case where they require more than 3 years of returns?

Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you think you may need more than 3 years' tax returns?

Is there any particular reason you think you may need more than 3 years' tax returns?

Basically because I've been in US for more than 3 years. I was talking to an immigration attorney and she said you need 3 for showing that you can financially support yourself (to show you won't be a public charge), and you might also need to show all the returns for your whole stay in US (which will be more than 3 for me).

I wanted to make sure that I don't need to include my tax returns besides the last 3 years.