• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

My marriage certificate and birth certificate has the date in British System (Day-Month- Year ) . Should I need the date in American System ? Please advise .

" 2 Recent Passport photos (could be more if submitting forms I-765 and/or I-131)" --- how many photos should we send total ? we are filling forms I-765 and I-131 as well..

Thanks

Hello,

Today I called USCIS, the person was very receptive and listened to what I had to say, she concluded our denial was an administrative mistake from the Officer who reviewed our case.
She was surprised the case was accepted by Chicago Lockbox but denied by the Field Office. She thought the officer confused the fiscal years.
The lady put me on hold while she reviewed the information regarding DV Lottery, then asked if we had won the 2018 DV Lottery and not the 2017 one, then asked if we sent the package when our visa number had become available on the visa bulletin. I said yes, according to the Policy Memorandum number PM-XXX-XXX found on the USCIS website which clearly states the posibility of early filing for people for the next fiscal year during the current fiscal year when their number falls under the rank cut-off section of the advance notification notice, that in our case was released on Agust 9, 2017.

She took note of all of this, opened a case and sent it the Field Office that managed our case requesting its evaluation and reopening due to an administrative mistake, told us to wait for an answer from USCIS between 15 to 30 days and this time could be much less for the fact it was an administratie mistake as we based our procesing times on an offical document published on the USCIS website that supports our actions. She took note of the Early filing Memorandum number, told us to wait for a call or correspondence, and gave me a case number.

What dou you think about this?

I appreciate you opinion, Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,

Today I called USCIS, the person was very receptive and listened to what I had to say, she concluded our denial was an administrative mistake from the Officer who reviewed our case.
She was surprised the case was accepted by Chicago Lockbox but denied by the Field Office. She thought the officer confused the fiscal years.
The lady put me on hold while she reviewed the information regarding DV Lottery, then asked if we had won the 2018 DV Lottery and not the 2017 one, then asked if we sent the package when our visa number had become available on the visa bulletin. I said yes, according to the Policy Memorandum number PM-XXX-XXX found on the USCIS website which clearly states the posibility of early filing for people for the next fiscal year during the current fiscal year when their number falls under the rank cut-off section of the advance notification notice, that in our case was released on Agust 9, 2017.

She took note of all of this, opened a case and sent it the Field Office that managed our case requesting its evaluation and reopening due to an administrative mistake, told us to wait for an answer from USCIS between 15 to 30 days and this time could be much less for the fact it was an administratie mistake as we based our procesing times on an offical document published on the USCIS website that supports our actions. She took note of the Early filing Memorandum number, told us to wait for a call or correspondence, and gave me a case number.

What dou you think about this?

I appreciate you opinion, Thank you

It all sounds accurate and normal. An infopass with the FO would have been better in my opinion. The FO made the mistake. The FO can fix the mistake.

Hi all- i'm having trouble reading the visa bulletin..

My # is EU50**- Right now current numbers are until 2600 for Europe for October..
Do i need to wait until my number is current( ex. if it becomes current in Dec i send the package on Dec 1st) ?

Also- do i need Affidavit of support (sponsor) ? I didn't see case like mine (P4 visa) ...

Another thing- i saw on other forums that some people are not called for interview.. is this something random, or it matters your current status?

Thanks a lot!

Hi all- i'm having trouble reading the visa bulletin..

My # is EU50**- Right now current numbers are until 2600 for Europe for October..
Do i need to wait until my number is current( ex. if it becomes current in Dec i send the package on Dec 1st) ?

Also- do i need Affidavit of support (sponsor) ? I didn't see case like mine (P4 visa) ...

Another thing- i saw on other forums that some people are not called for interview.. is this something random, or it matters your current status?

Thanks a lot!

1. I believe I already answered this before. You need to wait until your CN is below the number shown on the VB before filing. The AOS process spreadsheet which you've been referred to more than once also explains the possibility of early filing - please go through it for your own good.

2. Using an affidavit of support is recommended if your annual income is below the applicable poverty guideline level. Link to poverty guideline:
https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864p.pdf?download=1

3. Yes it's possible to be approved without an interview. It however has nothing to do with one's visa status. It depends on the FO.

p.s. Please number your questions if you have more than one in a post.

I'm confused with question 63.b in I-485:

If your answer to Item Number 63.a is 'Yes', do you believe you had reasonable cause?

My answer to 63.a is 'No', so 63.b should contain N/A, but it doesn't. Should I answer 'No' to 63.b or just leave it blank without any selection?

Good afternoon Mom,
I have a couple of question about the new I-485that I hope you can help me with:

1) Part I, 7: City or town of birth
the letter allow in this space are very few and I'm not able to add the province of my town. Should I leave it without or maybe use the province shorter name (2 letters).
it is actually like that any time they ask for a city in this form and I'm not sure what is better to do.

2) Part I, 16: Travel document number used at last arrival.
which travel document number it asked for. In the 15 I added my passport number. Is this one different? I thought it was the visa number but that's the #19.

3) Part I, 22a: when I last arrived in the US I was inspected at a port of entry and admitted as:
what's the proper definition for H1b and H4?

4)Part I, 23c: class of admission on I-94
It doesn't allow numbers, should I just put H, both for my H1b and my husband H4?

5) Part 3, 14b: current employment:
it doesn't let me type 'present' but only dates are accepted, should I leave it blank?

6) what are the additional documents I should send for our current H status, besides the I-979 and the visa on the passport? I have a folder full of forms that the university law firm sent at that time but I don't know which one is the correct one to send.

7) in the form instruction at page 14 there is a paragraph about: Documentation regarding J1 or J2 exchange visitor status, where they ask besides all DS-2019 also to show a certificate of eligibility for J1 status. Is it the SEVIS fee payment?

Many Many Many Thanks for your help.
Have a great day

Fanuel

1) They don't ask about the province. Just the name of the city/town. When they do, there's a field for it.
2) If you used passport when you last arrived you did not use travel document. It's not applicable to you.
3) H1B temporary worker, H4 dependent
4) it's the issue with your software. As an example I have 'J-2 dependent' in 22.a and 'J-2' in 23.c. It accepted all the characters without any problem.
5) same as above (you can always print and use a pen if everything else fails)
6) I-797 and a copy of visa stamp sounds good enough for me. H1b holder can additionally provide a letter of employment.
7) DS-2019 is a certificate of eligibility. It's long name for it.

4) it's the issue with your software. As an example I have 'J-2 dependent' in 22.a and 'J-2' in 23.c. It accepted all the characters without any problem.
I have the same issue and I'm using Adobe Reader. What am I doing wrong?

1) They don't ask about the province. Just the name of the city/town. When they do, there's a field for it.
2) If you used passport when you last arrived you did not use travel document. It's not applicable to you.
3) H1B temporary worker, H4 dependent
6) I-797 and a copy of visa stamp sounds good enough for me. H1b holder can additionally provide a letter of employment.
7) DS-2019 is a certificate of eligibility. It's long name for it.

Many Thanks :)