• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Really, if Simon had done the same thing would that be your response too?

Now, imagine how congested this thread would be if every single participant posted every single update every single time. Assuming you think other people are as important as you and can't have an update missed, of course.

The interesting thing is he wasn't even posting any new update. The post was an exact copy of what he previously posted twice!

The interesting thing is he wasn't even posting any new update. The post was an exact copy of what he previously posted twice!

I apologize, I am sorry if that comment was offensive. You and this forum have helped me and many people a lot.

Last edited:
I apologize, I am sorry if it that comment was offensive. You and this post have helped me and many people a lot.

You're sorry "if" the comment was offensive? "If"??? The thing is I have real difficulties in accepting a conditional apology. You will notice I didn't bother to respond to you directly, same reason I ignored the fauxpology you posted on my wall by the way.

I apologize, I am sorry if that comment was offensive. You and this forum have helped me and many people a lot.

Mom will probably "retire" from this "service" she provides one day. Idiotic comments like the one you made will probably hasten that day. Literally NONE of us can replace her in the depth and breadth of knowledge she has and gives to people day after day, 7 days a week, free of any charge. Where will people get their needed help then?

Think about that!

Hello,
1. You may apply for OPT after sending in your AOS package, although I normally recommend getting the OPT in place before filing AOS. Your status becomes adjustment pending following the expiration of your current status.

2. What is AOE?

Thank you for the reply.

1. I don't want to delay sending the package, I will do that October 1st. By that date I won't get my OPT, as I graduate December 2017. I thought after December I will have couple of months to apply for OPT. Do I loose this right when I engage in the AOS process in October?

2. I meant EAD, the employment authorization.

3. Kindly, if I may, I wanted to ask about the financial support part. I get it from previous posts above that assets outside of the US don't matter. I am not employed. I have a respectable amount of money here in the US more than 10K. 3.1. Would it be enough as financial support evidence to provide a Bank letter with that amount? 3.2. If yes, do I need to include that letter in the package that I will send, or wait in case they ask about it at the interview, since financial support is not a requirement?

4. I wanted also your advice, do I need to let the international affairs services at my University know about my AOS? I am not sure what their reaction would be.

Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

1. I don't want to delay sending the package, I will do that October 1st. By that date I won't get my OPT, as I graduate December 2017. I thought after December I will have couple of months to apply for OPT. Do I loose this right when I engage in the AOS process in October?

2. I meant EAD, the employment authorization.

3. Kindly, if I may, I wanted to ask about the financial support part. I get it from previous posts above that assets outside of the US don't matter. I am not employed. I have a respectable amount of money here in the US more than 10K. 3.1. Would it be enough as financial support evidence to provide a Bank letter with that amount? 3.2. If yes, do I need to include that letter in the package that I will send, or wait in case they ask about it at the interview, since financial support is not a requirement?

4. I wanted also your advice, do I need to let the international affairs services at my University know about my AOS? I am not sure what their reaction would be.

Thank you

1. You don't loose the privilege of applying for OPT.

2. Applying for an AOS based EAD is a personal choice, I can't tell you if it is good or not since I don't have all the details about your situation. I recommend you go over the pros and cons listed on the AOS process spreadsheet to determine if you should apply for it or not.

3.1. Possibly yes
3.2. Include it with the package

4. I highly recommend you NOT discuss your AOS process with your school officials. You do not want to find yourself in a situation where an overzealous international affairs services official misunderstands your current status and erroneously terminates you from SERVIS thereby creating issues for you. You only inform them AFTER receiving the GC.

2. Applying for an AOS based EAD is a personal choice, I can't tell you if it is good or not since I don't have all the details about your situation. I recommend you go over the pros and cons listed on the AOS process spreadsheet to determine if you should apply for it or not.

3.1. Possibly yes
3.2. Include it with the package

4. I highly recommend you NOT discuss your AOS process with your school officials. You do not want to find yourself in a situation where an overzealous international affairs services official misunderstands your current status and erroneously terminates you from SERVIS thereby creating issues for you. You only inform them AFTER receiving the GC.

Thank you so much for your prompt response. Much appreciated.

1. About OPT, I just want to make sure I am getting this right, I will still be able to apply for OPT after December, in case I don't get the green card?

Thanks a lot

Thank you so much for your prompt response. Much appreciated.

1. About OPT, I just want to make sure I am getting this right, I will still be able to apply for OPT after December, in case I don't get the green card?

Thanks a lot

Nothing is guaranteed - you may or may not get approved for OPT which is why I earlier on told you I typically recommend getting OPT in place prior to filing AOS. Filing and being approved for OPT is not a right, it is a privilege. I realize going that route may not be possible in your case, you have to decide and take your chances I suppose.

Of course I can state the fact that I also know of a couple of DV selectees in similar situation as yours who got their OPT approved while the AOS petition was pending.

Hello Sm1smom,
How have you been doing? Hope all is well.
A quick question: Hong Kong BNO vs. Hong Kong SAR on DS-260? When filled out the DV 2018 application, the application instruction only listed Hong Kong SAR is eligible. Would selecting HK BNO affect the result? Please confirm asap. Gratefully appreciate!
Blessings,
hellomyfriend

Hi,
I have a few questions.
I am on F1 status. I found out that I won the lottery in May, but I had already purchased a ticket for a study abroad in a different country. I just got back to the US a few days ago. I plan on doing AOS. Thinking of applying in 60 days time. My questions are:
1. I want to apply for a fee waiver (i-912) since I can't afford the application fee. But I am not sure if DV AOS qualifies for that. Do you know if I can?
2. If I can, how does that change my AOS timeline and docs I have to submit?
3. If I apply for the work permit and travel document, but never use them. does it affect my F1 status at all?

Hello Sm1smom,
How have you been doing? Hope all is well.
A quick question: Hong Kong BNO vs. Hong Kong SAR on DS-260? When filled out the DV 2018 application, the application instruction only listed Hong Kong SAR is eligible. Would selecting HK BNO affect the result? Please confirm asap. Gratefully appreciate!
Blessings,
hellomyfriend

Just select whichever option is correct and applicable in your case.

Hi,
I have a few questions.
I am on F1 status. I found out that I won the lottery in May, but I had already purchased a ticket for a study abroad in a different country. I just got back to the US a few days ago. I plan on doing AOS. Thinking of applying in 60 days time. My questions are:
1. I want to apply for a fee waiver (i-912) since I can't afford the application fee. But I am not sure if DV AOS qualifies for that. Do you know if I can?
2. If I can, how does that change my AOS timeline and docs I have to submit?
3. If I apply for the work permit and travel document, but never use them. does it affect my F1 status at all?

I like consistency in people's stories when they seek my help, it enables me to give what I consider appropriate guidance. Going home on a summer break is not the same thing as going on a study abroad trip, which I'm not even sure a freshman can take part in.

1. I am going back home this summer. Since I get only a 1 year F1 visa, I would have to reapply. I have not submitted any form (DS260, I485,...). Would the embassy in my country know that I won and deny my application for F1 renewal? In the case that they know, can I tell them I don't intend to pursue it?

1, 2. If you can't afford the AOS processing fees, how do you plan on convincing the IO you're not likely to become a public charge? My recommendation is to borrow money for the fees, if you have to.

3. Applying for an AOS based EAD/AP card without using either will not affect your F1 status.

Hi mom,
I am a DV 2018 winner from Nepal (planning for AOS) case number: 2018AS000019**.

I notice a change in the VB cut off numbers. Last year, for Nepal, it was below 1900 for the month of October, while this year it's 750. I believe my case number would become current sometime, but I see that in Atlanta field office (my local FO), the processing time for I485 is about 9 months. Do they generally expedite DV cases? I am worried that although my case would become current, I might not get the GC until the end of Sep 30, 2018 because of the delay in processing. I would appreciate your views on this.

Thank you so much!

Hi mom,
I am a DV 2018 winner from Nepal (planning for AOS) case number: 2018AS000019**.

I notice a change in the VB cut off numbers. Last year, for Nepal, it was below 1900 for the month of October, while this year it's 750. I believe my case number would become current sometime, but I see that in Atlanta field office (my local FO), the processing time for I485 is about 9 months. Do they generally expedite DV cases? I am worried that although my case would become current, I might not get the GC until the end of Sep 30, 2018 because of the delay in processing. I would appreciate your views on this.

Thank you so much!

DV based AOS petitions do not follow the same timeline as family or business based AOS petitions which is the posted processing time you see on USCIS's website. DV based AOS petitions gets fast tracked since they're time limited. You can check the AOS Timelines spreadsheets put together by this forum (for the past couple of years) to get an idea of the processing time applicable to you:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UC6N8E-w-TUgFNazBIGNRw5ufgv7gyN-jmLELuFXaLQ
Take a look at the "Timelines" tab.

I like consistency in people's stories when they seek my help, it enables me to give what I consider appropriate guidance. Going home on a summer break is not the same thing as going on a study abroad trip, which I'm not even sure a freshman can take part in.

1, 2. If you can't afford the AOS processing fees, how do you plan on convincing the IO you're not likely to become a public charge? My recommendation is to borrow money for the fees, if you have to.

3. Applying for an AOS based EAD/AP card without using either will not affect your F1 status.

I went to 3 different countries over the summer (one of them being my home country), and since it's a long story I don't bother talk about what I did in all three. I didn't think it mattered why I left the country, only the fact that I left and came back on an F1 visa. Fyi, first years do study abroads in a lot of schools.

Since I study computer science at a a top-tier university, and my school has a more than 98% alumni employment rate, I didn't think I would have to worry about them thinking I'd become a public charge. It's almost guaranteed that I'll get a good paying job, especially if I have a green card. I know lots of poor people from my country who came to the US through the lottery only with a high school degree. That's why I was asking if I could apply for a fee waiver and how it can affect the timeline.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Hi mom,

I might be in a similar situation to @Snaydsa with regards to OPT filing and AOS filing (within a relatively short timeframe of each other).

1. From what I understand form I-765 is optional for DV based AOS but is required for OPT application. Just to comment on the user's question. If applying for both, does it make sense to submit 2 forms separately, since different eligibility categories will be selected, and a problem might arise due to that? I would assume it should only be included in the OPT package (please correct me if I'm wrong).

2. You did say that it is best to have OPT in place before AOS. However, if that won't be possible (as in both of our situations), in your opinion, is it more prudent to submit OPT application first or the two should not hinder each other.

3. The reason I thought OPT should be filed first is that it will be registered as F-1 extension. As opposed to filing AOS first, in which case my status will be 'adjustment pending' by the time they receive OPT package.

As always your input and advice are immensely appreciated,
Many thanks,
Jon

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help and advice, so far.

I am preparing the 2018 DV AOS package, and while filling out I-485, I had some doubts. Kindly advise:

1. Q 16 (page 2) if I did already include my passport number in Q 15, do I need to include it again in Q 16 as travel document? If not what should I include in Q16?
2. Q 23b (page 2) I am on F1, I don't have an expiration date on my I-94, what do you advice me to answer?
3. Q24 (page 3) should I leave this one empty since my immigration status did not change since my arrival?
4. Q 2 (page 3) the answer here is NO?
5. Q 3 and Q 4 under part 2 (page 4) do these apply for DV AOS?
6. Q 6.b. Under part 3 (page 4) since I am currently living at thos address, what should I answer?
7. Employment history (page 5) the company I used to work for moved to another country, should I include its contacts when I was working there, or the new ones?

Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you so much

I went to 3 different countries over the summer (one of them being my home country), and since it's a long story I don't bother talk about what I did in all three. I didn't think it mattered why I left the country, only the fact that I left and came back on an F1 visa. Fyi, first years do study abroads in a lot of schools.

Since I study computer science at a a top-tier university, and my school has a more than 98% alumni employment rate, I didn't think I would have to worry about them thinking I'd become a public charge. It's almost guaranteed that I'll get a good paying job, especially if I have a green card. I know lots of poor people from my country who came to the US through the lottery only with a high school degree. That's why I was asking if I could apply for a fee waiver and how it can affect the timeline.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Thank you for schooling me and good luck with your computer science degree from a top tier school with the 98% employment rate.