1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by Sm1smom, May 2, 2017.

1. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

Yes I've heard about it. Like you rightly noted, it is a just a proposal for now, so I'm refraining from speculating on what may or may not happen. You can however go through the following Thread (link below) to read of others opinions on this:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/raise-act-immigration-reform.335837/

2. F1_DV2018

F1_DV2018 New Member

Hey Sm1smom,

My 1NL, 2NL and Copy of DV administrative fee payment receipt contain my old address, where I lived when I applied for DV Lottery. But after that I moved to another address, and I indicated that in both DS-260 and self-addressed stamped envelope (for DV fee payment). I hope it won't be a problem that now my address is different. What do you think?

3. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

Not a problem.

F1_DV2018 likes this.
  4. Jonathan784

Jonathan784 New Member

Hi mom,

Had a question from I-485 please.

There is a question asking if I am applying for Aos based on Immigration and Nationality Act, and it says if you select yes, then you are applying under family-based, employment based or DV based category. I don't think I am applying under INA but I am in the DV category, do you know what INA based AOS pertains to?

Thanks

5. Jarr

Jarr New Member

I believe this post is related to your question. I cannot share a link so I quoted the answer for you. It is in this post on page 30.

Mooonlight likes this.
  6. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

Hi Mom! @Sm1smom

I am worried about my current status (F1) in case if I won't get approved. I tried to find the answer in the Spreadsheet and what I found is (in FAQ part):

"What happens to my current status if I use an AOS based EAD card?" - "Using an AOS based EAD changes your current status to 'adjustment pending' status. If your AOS petition gets denied, you cannot get revert back to that previous status, unless your previous status was a dual intent visa status"

1 - Does it mean there is a different consequence of using and not using the AOS based EAD card?
    2 - how about if I don't use an AOS based EAD card, will I still loose my F1 status? And will I have to leave the country even if my I-20 valid till Nov 2018?

Thanks!

7. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

1. If you would like to work and are not currently authorized to work, especially if you're stuck in background check, you obviously wouldn't be able to work if you don't have or use an AOS based EAD card while your AOS petition is pending. On the other hand, if you use an AOS based EAD card and your AOS petition gets denied, you're automatically out of status from the denial date.

2. Short answer: No.

8. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

Thanks for your prompt response as always!
    I am not desperate to work since I have a sponsor (but he is not US citizen or LPR). The only reason I would use an AOS based EAD card is to find a job before the interview so I would have a job offer letter and maybe some pay stubs to show IO at the interview (to show that I will not become a public charge). Do you think it would help?

One more thing: I've checked @Britsimon 's blog page and I saw he accepts donations from those he helped out (voluntarily of course). I am curious if you have something like that (or other ways to accept donations as our gratitude)? :)

9. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

The reason for using an AOS based EAD makes no difference. Once the card is used while the AOS petition is pending, the user automatically invalidates their current status.

And anyways, the EAD processing time is about the same as the average DV based AOS petition - 3 to 4 months. It makes no difference for most DV based AOS petitioners.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, I'm however not accepting donations. I don't have a personal blog site I maintain like Simon does.

Jonathan784 and Mooonlight like this.
  10. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

Thanks for clarifying, now I understand that AOS based EAD is useless at some point.
    I am very impressed (!) and a bit disappointed in you not accepting donations. However, I wish all the good things you are doing here for us 'will come back to you tenfold in unexpected ways'!

11. SusieQQQ

SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

I'm sure mom will agree, pay it forward!

Sm1smom and Mooonlight like this.
  12. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

I definitely will, as it's very inspiring!

13. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

For DV based AOS petitions, the EAD card ends up not being necessary or useful. However for a none time limited petition like a family based AOS for instance the EAD is a great card to have since some of those petitions could take years before they get adjudicated.

Mooonlight likes this.
  14. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

Absolutely! You're equally doing a great job yourself Sussie both here and on the other forum. :)

And I'm sure Simon didn't start out with the intention of accepting donations either. But when people started bugging him, he agreed for them to donate towards a project he's doing for his daughter.

Mooonlight likes this.
  15. KKT115948

KKT115948 New Member

16. F1_DV2018

F1_DV2018 New Member

Hi Sm1smom,

I have 2 questions about I-134:

1) Included copies of W2 and government ID are enough for AOS package or 1099 should be added?

2) If a sponsor owns a real estate together with his wife, is it ok to include it in I-134 as his property?

17. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

1. If sponsor has both, yes include.

2. Yes.

F1_DV2018 likes this.
  18. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

Mom, @Sm1smom

What should I send with my AOS package as a financial document in support of my petition?
    Bank statement on my name with current balance of $20,000 and showing money transfers to my card from my real sponsor... and than take I-134 provided by a USC to the interview? (in case if IO will require it)
    or
    I should ignore that company because it's not in the US and send I-134 provided by a USC?
    I am confused because on all my I-20s the foreign company is indicated as my funding

19. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

Make your case easier to adjudicate, get an I-134. You can also include your bank statement in addition.

20. Mooonlight

Mooonlight New Member

I see. Thanks a lot!!