• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi

I am trying to understand the disadvantages of filing I-131 with my AOS package.

1) does it affects the AOS processing time?
2) I am currently on F1 visa. Does it prevent me to be back on F1 status, in the case of unsuccessful AOS?

Thanks,
Jord

Hi

I am trying to understand the disadvantages of filing I-131 with my AOS package.

1) does it affects the AOS processing time?
2) I am currently on F1 visa. Does it prevent me to be back on F1 status, in the case of unsuccessful AOS?

Thanks,
Jord

This is extensively covered on the AOS process spreadsheet, please refer to it.

Hi Sm1smom,

When I applied for F-2 Visa back in 2012 to enter the US in DS-160 (for Consular Process) as a place of work I indicated one company (I really was working at that company), then here in the US when I applied for Change of status (from F2 to F1) in 2013 with I-539 Application (for USCIS) I submitted a Recommendation Letter indicating I was working at that Company at that time (and I was on unpaid vacation) from another Company (because this Company was sponsoring me). So my question is:

in I-485: "provide your most recent employment outside of the United States" should I indicate the one was in DS-160 or the one was in I-539?

P.S.: I'll try to be qualified based on my Education, not my Work Experience. But still confused which Work place I should indicate. And I decided not to submit DS-260

Hi Sm1smom,

When I applied for F-2 Visa back in 2012 to enter the US in DS-160 (for Consular Process) as a place of work I indicated one company (I really was working at that company), then here in the US when I applied for Change of status (from F2 to F1) in 2013 with I-539 Application (for USCIS) I submitted a Recommendation Letter indicating I was working at that Company at that time (and I was on unpaid vacation) from another Company (because this Company was sponsoring me). So my question is:

in I-485: "provide your most recent employment outside of the United States" should I indicate the one was in DS-160 or the one was in I-539?

P.S.: I'll try to be qualified based on my Education, not my Work Experience. But still confused which Work place I should indicate. And I decided not to submit DS-260

I don't know. Just answer the question truthfully, that's all I can say.

Hi Sm1smom,
Just want to double check that I can submit one cheque per adult for the amount of 1225$ rather than two cheques -- 1140$ and 85$ seperately.
Also What goes in to the "pay to the order of " section of the personal cheque.

One a separate note for medical test, my CS is asking for varicella vaccine (chicken pox) which I don't see in the spreadsheet. Also for both MMR and Varicella, one needs to receive the booster in a month.

Hi Sm1smom,
Just want to double check that I can submit one cheque per adult for the amount of 1225$ rather than two cheques -- 1140$ and 85$ seperately.
Also What goes in to the "pay to the order of " section of the personal cheque.

One a separate note for medical test, my CS is asking for varicella vaccine (chicken pox) which I don't see in the spreadsheet. Also for both MMR and Varicella, one needs to receive the booster in a month.

1. Yes
2. Checks and money order payable to: U.S. Department of Homeland Security (do not use initials such as USDHS or DHS)
3. If you've had chicken pox in the past, you tell your CS and varicella vaccine should be waved for that reason - and I think the spreadsheet explains this.

Also I'm not sure what your CS is up to, (make some extra bucks off you???) there's no MMR booster shot required within a month or at any other time for an adult.

Hello.

I have a vaccination Card from my country which is in Spanish. I translated it my self. Can this be done or do I need a certified translation? the Doctor's secretary told me I could translate it myself to show it to the Civil Surgeon.

Will the doctor include it in the sealed I-693? or will she just copy the dates of vaccinations?

Thank you

Hello.

I have a vaccination Card from my country which is in Spanish. I translated it my self. Can this be done or do I need a certified translation? the Doctor's secretary told me I could translate it myself to show it to the Civil Surgeon.

Will the doctor include it in the sealed I-693? or will she just copy the dates of vaccinations?

Thank you

The vaccination card isn't included with the medical form, the information gets transferred to the form. The CS makes the determination to accept your translation or not - and if his secretary says a self translated version is acceptable to them, then there's nothing to worry about.

The vaccination card isn't included with the medical form, the information gets transferred to the form. The CS makes the determination to accept your translation or not - and if his secretary says a self translated version is acceptable to them, then there's nothing to worry about.

Thank you

I have the following Questions regarding AOS for my wife who is in USA with the kids and I'm not:

1. When looked at I-485 processing times online, it appears they are processing cases from last July now (employment based is what posted), Does this apply to DV AOS as well? If it is, then when we apply we will miss end of Sep deadline. If not, how can I know the average processing time for different centers?
2. Can I chose the center I want if one is faster than other?
3. After applying for I-485, is she allowed to work in USA?
4. Is she allowed to do CP even though she is residing and working in USA and kids are in USA school?
5. If she decided to follow the CP process, can she return to USA with the kids right after the interview? or How long after the interview?
6. When she return, she returns with original visa she has or the paper they give her after interview allows her to entre USA?
7. For CP, how long she need to be outside the US for interview before she can return. Kids are also in school and we need minimum time outside USA.
8. In this case (CP), can she do medical in USA before the interview to minimize time outside USA?

Thank you and I appreciate some details please.

I have the following Questions regarding AOS for my wife who is in USA with the kids and I'm not:

1. When looked at I-485 processing times online, it appears they are processing cases from last July now (employment based is what posted), Does this apply to DV AOS as well? If it is, then when we apply we will miss end of Sep deadline. If not, how can I know the average processing time for different centers?
2. Can I chose the center I want if one is faster than other?
3. After applying for I-485, is she allowed to work in USA?
4. Is she allowed to do CP even though she is residing and working in USA and kids are in USA school?
5. If she decided to follow the CP process, can she return to USA with the kids right after the interview? or How long after the interview?
6. When she return, she returns with original visa she has or the paper they give her after interview allows her to entre USA?
7. For CP, how long she need to be outside the US for interview before she can return. Kids are also in school and we need minimum time outside USA.
8. In this case (CP), can she do medical in USA before the interview to minimize time outside USA?

Thank you and I appreciate some details please.

1. USCIS's posted processing time is not applicable to DV based AOS petitions. The AOS process spreadsheet (which I believe I've referred you to before) has links to AOS Timelines spreadsheets for the past couple of years which shows the average processing time for listed FOs.

2. No you can't. The FO is based on the home address listed on the I-485.

3. Yes - after receiving the AOS based EAD card - processing time for this is 3-4 months, technically about the same time it takes to get the GC of one isn't put on AP or the FO doesn't delay in scheduling an interview. Working with an AOS based EAD has some some pros and cons which are covered on the AOS process spreadsheet.

4. Yes. If she's not, I wouldn't have recommended that option in my previous response to you.

5. They return after getting their passports back from the embassy.

6. She returns with an IV (if she's approved) - the TN/TD/F1 visas gets cancelled.

7. It's roughly about two weeks if there are no issues with the petition. It really depends on when the embassy returns the passports. So could be days, weeks, or months.

8. Nope, medical can only be done by one of the Panel Doctors assigned by the embassy with jurisdiction over the petition.

Hello, and thanks for your valuable input.

Can you recommend an Attorney to help through the AOS process in order to avoid mistakes?

Hello, and thanks for your valuable input.

Can you recommend an Attorney to help through the AOS process in order to avoid mistakes?

If your process is straightforward all you need is the spreadsheet. DV AOS is not that common and we've had a number of instances where people using attorneys hinder rather than help their cases.

Exactly, that is why I'm looking for a recommendation for someone that is familiar with the process. Any recommendation please. Also, does it help to have an attorney during the interview?

Exactly, that is why I'm looking for a recommendation for someone that is familiar with the process. Any recommendation please. Also, does it help to have an attorney during the interview?

Having an attorney during interview will help the attorney's bank balance, for sure. You, on the other hand...

From what you posted earlier I didn't see any complication requiring an attorney?

The smart recommendations is to NOT use an attorney UNLESS...
1. Your case has some complication
2. You like throwing your money away on training lawyers that don't know anything about DV lottery cases.

Why is it like this?

DV lottery represents around 5% of immigration cases annually.
5% of those DV cases are AOS (instead of CP)
The vast majority of those cases are handled by people without lawyers because it is a simple process.

So - there are MAYBE 50 to 100 cases handled by lawyers in the USA annually. So there is no such thing as a lawyer "experienced" with DV cases.

Just follow the spreadsheet recommendations, all you need to know is there. If you take a lawyer to the interview, it makes the officer think something is wrong, like a red flag