• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Because that's what he's trying to say. Albanian families all get selected together.

Now that's bullshit. Yes, definitly some people lie and lots of conspiracies are posted on "communitarian" (not sure if it exists in english) forums. If both and your spouse are eligible,...and let's say each one has 2% of probability to get selected, then the odds improve to 4% to get selected (as a primary selectee or dependent). But the probability of both of you being selected, is just 0.0004%. It's possible, but I don't think we'll see 12 cases in just 3 years on the albanian forum alone. Yes, some people defintiely lie.

Agree on the fact that not all of them might be true but still we are talking about only a tiny fraction of Albanian selectees i.e. 0.1 - 0.17 % which is not mathematically impossible. Anyway I started the topic just out of curiosity, to understand whether the same thing was happening in other areas of DV program.

Last edited:
Albania also has a pretty high refusal rate, around 15%. Not the worst, but up there. Of course that excludes Albanians who interview outside Albania.
http://britsimonsays.com/embassy-league-table-statistics-refusalapissued/

High refusal rates are usually associated with a high incidence of fraud in the countries involved.
How about simple reasons as:
-not able to find a US sponsor for the AoS
-not sufficiently able to self-fund in order to prove not to be a future public charge in US
-not having the minimum education req's (vocational schools which don't qualify etc)
-non procces savvy, hence technical/doc's mistakes

Of course occasionally fraud happens, especially with young couples with no authentic marriage after being selected... but that's not the main reason for the high refusal rate.

Last edited:
Agree on the fact that not all of them might be true but still we are talking about only a tiny fraction of Albanian selectees i.e. 0.001 - 0.0017 % which is not mathematically impossible. Anyway I started the topic just out of curiosity, to understand whether the same thing was happening in other areas of DV program.

To be honest, never heard of such cases (both spouses getting selected),...but it's possible. Weirder things do happen, like someone getting selected at the first shot,..or someone getting selected twice (first time case number didn't go current, second time was the good one). BUT,...if you start seeing people talking about such RARE cases with frequency,...you better be skeptical, because they are RARE cases and can't be that frequent.

Also better stop trying to dig conspiracies out of everything,....there are even people who say it's not really a lottery, since most selectees have college degrees (With some logic,...you'll reason that only a fraction of selectees post on the internet (and internet-savvy selectees are likely to have studied beyond high-school), and a much smaller percentage of this fraction post on english-speaking forums, most people who post on english-speaking boards are proficient in english, people proficient in english are likely to be college graduates, etc....no conspiracy in here).

I guess I got carried away with the rigged-proccess-Trump-style :D jk
Totally understand your point and agree, even though larger pool DV countries tend to give more acurate sampling and patterns

How about simple reasons as:
-not able to find a US sponsor for the AoS
-not sufficiently able to self-fund in order to prove not to be a future public charge in US
-not having the minimum education req's (vocational schools which don't qualify etc)
-non procces savvy, hence technical/doc's mistakes

Of course occasionally fraud happens, especially with young couples with no authentic marriage after being selected... but that's not the main reason for the high refusal rate.

Don't get so upset, I know it's not objective for you, but I'm also betting you have no idea what the main reason for the high refusal rate is seeing as you don't work in the visa section at the consulate. Yes of course all those are also reasons, just as they were and are in Nigeria, Ghana etc. but ... it's a bit naive to just dismiss fraud as a factor. Fraudulent entries might often be reasons why surprising outcomes happen and more people get selected who wouldn't have been otherwise. And it's probably no surprise that the incidence of fraudulent entries rises in countries who have fraud problems otherwise. And sadly one of the things Albania is famous for is pyramid schemes, and the CIA World Factbook describes "endemic corruption" as one of Albania's characteristics ( https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/al.html, scroll to Economy section). So you have to accept than rather than some strange non random conspiracy leading to a pattern you identify, perhaps you could admit that IF the pattern is there it could be due to fraudulent entries.

Last edited:
To be honest, never heard of such cases (both spouses getting selected),...but it's possible. Weirder things do happen, like someone getting selected at the first shot,..or someone getting selected twice (first time case number didn't go current, second time was the good one). BUT,...if you start seeing people talking about such RARE cases with frequency,...you better be skeptical, because they are RARE cases and can't be that frequent.

Also better stop trying to dig conspiracies out of everything,....there are even people who say it's not really a lottery, since most selectees have college degrees (With some logic,...you'll reason that only a fraction of selectees post on the internet (and internet-savvy selectees are likely to have studied beyond high-school), and a much smaller percentage of this fraction post on english-speaking forums, most people who post on english-speaking boards are proficient in english, people proficient in english are likely to be college graduates, etc....no conspiracy in here).

Logic! I love it.

The only cases of spouses being selected simultaneously I'm aware of were in the voided DV2012 draw, voided because (duh!) it wasn't random.

Hi.
I have a question.
I am going to to AOS, but i am confused about something.
Do i first send my DS260 and wait until they KCC confirm my intention to do AOS to THEN send the 330$ payment to DOS... Or do i need to do both things at the same time?
Thanks in advance.

Hi.
I have a question.
I am going to to AOS, but i am confused about something.
Do i first send my DS260 and wait until they KCC confirm my intention to do AOS to THEN send the 330$ payment to DOS... Or do i need to do both things at the same time?
Thanks in advance.

Post AOS related questions on the AOS thread only.

I Had epilepsy when i was a kid should and on the Do you have a mental or physical disorder that poses or is likely to pose a threat to the safety or welfare of yourself or others? question i clicked no cuz i dont have epilepsy now and i dont think its considered a mental disorder btw was this the correct thing ?

Hello everyone and congrats for your selection.
I was very lucky to be selected with my husband, but we do not want to get our hopes up as we do not know if our number if likely to become current (2018EU16***). I know that the count has not been reveled yet but what do you think? Is it a good number?
Moreover, being two in the aplication and knowing that we cannot have an affidavit of support, how much should we have in our bank account?
Finaly, we both have had visas in the us in the past, a J1 and a B1/B2, and the B1/B2 was extented for a few month after a succeful petition, do you know if that could impact our application in any way?
Thank you very much for your help!
I which you all good luck for the rest of the process.

Hello everyone and congrats for your selection.
I was very lucky to be selected with my husband, but we do not want to get our hopes up as we not know if our number if likely to become current (2018EU16***). I know the count has not been reveled yet but what do you think? is it a good number?
Moreover, being two in the aplication and knowing that we cannot have an affidavit of support, how much should we have in our bank account?
Finaly, we both have had visas in the us in the past, one J1 and the other B1/B2, and the B1/B2 goes extented for a few month after a succeful petition, do you know if that could impact our application in any way?
Thank you very much for your help!
I which you all good luck for the rest of the process.

1. The number is fine.
2. Typically, we advise at least $10k liquid assets per adult, but it is not a hard and fast rule.
3. No impact (other than a 2 year home residency requirement on some J1s)

Thank you very much Britsimon, have a great day.

They will ask proof that you have resided in your home country for at least 2 years following the J1 visa. So make sure you are able to show some sort of proofs - rental agreement, job contract, paychecks or anything that says you have been in your home country for at least 2 years.

They will ask proof that you have resided in your home country for at least 2 years following the J1 visa. So make sure you are able to show some sort of proofs - rental agreement, job contract, paychecks or anything that says you have been in your home country for at least 2 years.
Thank you abumiqdad, but I am actually not under the 2 years limitation as my visa states; "not subject to section 212E. Two years rule does not apply".
So I don't think I will have to provide these proofs.

Thank you abumiqdad, but I am actually not under the 2 years limitation as my visa states; "not subject to section 212E. Two years rule does not apply".
So I don't think I will have to provide these proofs.

That's not applicable in your case.

Hello good day I have no access to the initial email that was used first when applying because it's my friend who applied for me and sent me the letter that shows was selected with my case number. I have my confirmation number too written down. So after am done with submitting the ds-260 form and they reply to me how can I access the 2NL when I don't have access to the first email that was used by my friend because she is no where to be found. Or if I have my case number and confirm number there is site you can direct me to me to check my status am really worried about this email because I can't access it and they in the letter that it's where they send letter for interview appointment. Thanks for advice I really need to know so I can stop worrying about it

Hello good day I have no access to the initial email that was used first when applying because it's my friend who applied for me and sent me the letter that shows was selected with my case number. I have my confirmation number too written down. So after am done with submitting the ds-260 form and they reply to me how can I access the 2NL when I don't have access to the first email that was used by my friend because she is no where to be found. Or if I have my case number and confirm number there is site you can direct me to me to check my status am really worried about this email because I can't access it and they in the letter that it's where they send letter for interview appointment. Thanks for advice I really need to know so I can stop worrying about it
Hi mariam92, I am no expert on the matter myself because I am just getting started with the 2018 process and please someone correct me if I am wrong, but according to what britsimon shows on his website (extremely useful, recommend you read it), the email you will get when the 2NL is available only says that you have a message on dvlottery.state.gov/ESC and from there you will be able to access the 2NL, so you don't really need the email at all. Just by checking the ESC site monthly and wathcing the VBs you should have no problems. (Again, please someone correct me if I am wrong)

Above are right. As long as you have the confirmation number, which you do, you can access the site. That is where all the info is.