• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Hi guys. Congratulations to all those who have been selected.

I am yet to submit my DS-260. Once submitted. Am i supposed to submit any documents to the embassy before the interview i.e birth certificates, marriage certificate etc? My guess is that they will need to authenticate/verify the documents before the interview is conducted. Just want to make sure i do not make a mistake in the application process.

Hi guys. Congratulations to all those who have been selected.

I am yet to submit my DS-260. Once submitted. Am i supposed to submit any documents to the embassy before the interview i.e birth certificates, marriage certificate etc? My guess is that they will need to authenticate/verify the documents before the interview is conducted. Just want to make sure i do not make a mistake in the application process.

Most embassies require you to bring in your documents on the day of the interview - only a handful require prior submission a couple of days before. So without knowing your selected embassy, can't tell you yes or no.

Thank you very much for this info @Sm1smom. My apologies on the duplicate post.

Another query. We were married under customary law in Kenya and we have been living together for a few years. I included both of them in my initial application. We also have a beautiful daughter together. However, we do not have a marriage certificate but are now working towards it to ensure we have it during the interview. Will it be an issue since we will have gotten the marriage certificate after the DV selection?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this info @Sm1smom. Your blog is amazing. My apologies on the duplicate post.

One final query, we were married under customary law in Kenya and we have been living together for a few years. I included both of them in my initial application. We also have a beautiful daughter together. However, we do not have a marriage certificate but are now working towards it to ensure we have it during the interview. Will it be an issue since we we got the marriage certificate after the DV selection?

I do not have a blog, @Britsimon has the very useful and informative blog :rolleyes:

Your customary law marriage with the certificate you're getting now shouldn't be a problem - you did the right thing by listing your spouse and kid on your eDV registration.

Hey everyone,

I have another question, do you know if I need to translate my documents before the interview? My selected embassy is the one in Paris !

Thanks a lot!

Hey everyone,

I have another question, do you know if I need to translate my documents before the interview? My selected embassy is the one in Paris !

Thanks a lot!

If your documents are in French and you're interviewing in Paris, they do not need to be translated.

Btw I just called KCC to ask about changing my interview location and I was told to send an email with my details and they will change the interview location for me. No need to unlock ds260! I am passing down the information :)

I have a question regarding ds260 form. At the work experience you are asked "Does this job require at least 2 years of training or experience?". Is a university degree considered training? Thanks !

Btw I just called KCC to ask about changing my interview location and I was told to send an email with my details and they will change the interview location for me. No need to unlock ds260! I am passing down the information :)

Good luck, and let us know if it works.... we've seen some people be ok with this and others despite confirmation from KCC originally about a change, discover their original selected location in their 2NL. So be sure to be on top of that and don't delay checking your 2NL when it's eventually available in case you need to change it then.

by the way whether or not you unlock the DS260 you should ALWAYS email KCC about any change in address/interview location from what was originally in the DS. Things are not automatic.

Hi again,

I am trying hard to not over-think everything, but it’s easier to say it than to do it. I would be much more relaxed if I had never been selected.

As you know my case number is High: AF45XXX,…I am right now hesitating if I should send my DS260 or wait till much later, till I am quite sure there is a high probability my case number will go “current”.

If I send my DS260 and my number doesn’t become current,…It’s likely I’ll no longer be eligible for Visa Waiver (I have an EU passport). Is that correct? ….If this is the case, it may limit my professional horizons (I travel frequently for professional purposes).

What would you suggest to me?

Otherwise, my foolish brother prefers (70% probability according to him) to stay in Morocco (having a low Case number and 100% chances to get a visa). He could earn 10 times what he’s earning in Morocco (and above all, he’d live in a stable, first-world and democratic country),…he’ll just have to struggle during two years to get his equivalency in dentistry (he’s young, smart and has enough savings to do it,…but a bit lazy, nonambitious and risk-avert). Right now he prefers his 1.000 $ monthly salary doing nothing in a government job. I advised him to not send DS260 if he’s not 100% sure he’s willing to go to the US,….so he won’t be barred from the US forever for showing “immigrant intent” (I understand DS260=immigrant intent, correct me if I am wrong).

Last edited:
Hi again,

I am trying hard to not over-think everything, but it’s easier to say it than to do it. I would be much more relaxed if I had never been selected.

As you know my case number is High: AF45XXX,…I am right now hesitating if I should send my DS260 or wait till much later, till I am quite sure there is a high probability my case number will go “current”.

If I send my DS260 and my number doesn’t become current,…It’s likely I’ll no longer be eligible for Visa Waiver (I have an EU passport). Is that correct? ….If this is the case, it may limit my professional horizons (I travel frequently for professional purposes).

What would you suggest to me?

Otherwise, my foolish brother prefers (70% probability according to him) to stay in Morocco (having a low Case number and 100% chances to get a visa). He could earn 10 times what he’s earning in Morocco (and above all, he’d live in a stable, first-world and democratic country),…he’ll just have to struggle during two years to get his equivalency in dentistry (he’s young, smart and has enough savings to do it,…but a bit lazy, nonambitious and risk-avert). Right now he prefers his 1.000 $ monthly salary doing nothing in a government job. I advised him to not send DS260 if he’s not 100% sure he’s willing to go to the US,….so he won’t be barred from the US forever for showing “immigrant intent” (I understand DS260=immigrant intent, correct me if I am wrong).

I don't know whether or not it makes you ineligible for visa waiver but if so, it's a slight pain but just get a US B1/B2 visa. They normally have 10 year validity then you can travel as much as you want, so it will be a couple hours and some cash but it's hardly going to limit your professional horizons. As for your brother, filing a DS does not mean he can never go to the US. Yes he might need to show that he has enough ties to return to his home country to get a visa. If he has a professional occupation like a dentist that's probably very easy to do. But if he has no intention of going then I'd agree no point in sending it.

But anyway why are you worrying about your number being high? I can't remember any year since I've been looking at it that hasn't been a totally safe number.

And quite frankly, if you'd be more relaxed without being selected, you have the option of de-selecting yourself. There is nothing to force you to move ahead with this. (Although then you probably need to stop criticizing your brother for not taking risks you yourself aren't prepared to take.) Incidentally many people choose to live in the comfort of the third world less safe etc countries they know than move to the US. Your brother wouldn't be unusual. And obviously $1000 buys a lot more in Morocco than it does in the US.

Hello good day, my case number is AF000086XX planning to submit my ds-260 form next month will i be too late? since you said by cn is likely to be current by the end of this year and btw am from Uganda. thanks once again.

Hello good day, my case number is AF000086XX planning to submit my ds-260 form next month will i be too late? since you said by cn is likely to be current by the end of this year and btw am from Uganda. thanks once again.

It's not "too late", you don't miss out if you're not ready in time for when your number is current, it just means that you interview later than you could have. We don't know yet how long initial processing will take this year or what numbers will be current in the initial months anyway, so you may or may not be ready in time for your earliest possible interview.

Most embassies require you to bring in your documents on the day of the interview - only a handful require prior submission a couple of days before. So without knowing your selected embassy, can't tell you yes or no.
Btw, US Embassy in Tirana (Albania) holds the record by asking to submit documents at least 2 weeks prior to the interview! Even though, they will still accept if you bring over a couple of documents on the interview day.

@SusieQQQ @Sm1smom @Britsimon have you noticed in the past few years that an increased number of people from the same family are being selected as winners - each one with different CN ? I may have encountered about a dozen of these cases and wondering whether something's going on with the "randomly selected" rule, algorithms etc... Any thoughts?

I don't know whether or not it makes you ineligible for visa waiver but if so, it's a slight pain but just get a US B1/B2 visa. They normally have 10 year validity then you can travel as much as you want, so it will be a couple hours and some cash but it's hardly going to limit your professional horizons. As for your brother, filing a DS does not mean he can never go to the US. Yes he might need to show that he has enough ties to return to his home country to get a visa. If he has a professional occupation like a dentist that's probably very easy to do. But if he has no intention of going then I'd agree no point in sending it.

But anyway why are you worrying about your number being high? I can't remember any year since I've been looking at it that hasn't been a totally safe number.

And quite frankly, if you'd be more relaxed without being selected, you have the option of de-selecting yourself. There is nothing to force you to move ahead with this. (Although then you probably need to stop criticizing your brother for not taking risks you yourself aren't prepared to take.) Incidentally many people choose to live in the comfort of the third world less safe etc countries they know than move to the US. Your brother wouldn't be unusual. And obviously $1000 buys a lot more in Morocco than it does in the US.

Thanks for your input. I am actually really excited about the prospect of moving to the US, but a little disappointed (and frustrated) by my high (albeit safe according to you) case number,...so I apologize if I am being annoying.

As for my brother,....in the bottom of my heart I would love if both of us move there together. So there is some selfishness in the fact I am pissed off by his quasi-decision. I advised him to at least,...consider the possibility of taking an unpaid leave (it's possible for him since he works for the government without the risk of losing his job) and try his luck in the US,...if after a year he considers impossible to get the equivalency for X reasons (that's his biggest fear),...he can go back to his job in Morocco. But anyway, I told him, the final decision must be HIS, ...but he must take his time (he's got many months to do it) and think about it before taking a final decision. Yes,...1.000$ in Morocco buys a lot more than 1.000$ in the US,...and he can possibly earn 3-4 times his current salary in a few years even in Morocco (he's just 27 years old),.....so it's not actually about money only,...there are a lot of things to consider. including possible political instability in the future (Morocco right now is a safe and stable country but it's the middle-east,....everything is possible).

anyway, thanks for your help and your PATIENCE. ;)
regards.

@SusieQQQ @Sm1smom @Britsimon have you noticed in the past few years that an increased number of people from the same family are being selected as winners - each one with different CN ? I may have encountered about a dozen of these cases and wondering whether something's going on with the "randomly selected" rule, algorithms etc... Any thoughts?

I'm not entirely convinced all of these are really family tbh.