• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017

Kristiana

Hello all,
I am an 2017 winner and want to take a loan in a bank, because I don't have enough money to pay everything in the beginning, when I go to USA. Will it be a problem for taking the visa?

Depending on which country you are from / interviewing in, you may be asked for proof that you can support yourself without becoming a public charge / burden of the US government. Some consulates (e.g. Sydney, Australia) don't have for proof of funds or affadavits of support, but others will require it.

Depending on which country you are from / interviewing in, you may be asked for proof that you can support yourself without becoming a public charge / burden of the US government. Some consulates (e.g. Sydney, Australia) don't have for proof of funds or affadavits of support, but others will require it.

There is no embassy that cannot ask for proof of funds, or have public charge concerns. The consideration of public charge is a part of immigration law for all immigrants, DV selectees included. In talking with a Sydney bound OCer the other day I am pretty certain she will be considered a public charge risk and although Sydney may not normally ask explicitly, but they do ask for a CV and that along with education standards is, I am sure, being considered toward public charge grounds. So - we are best to avoid blanket statements.

It wasn't so much a blanket statement as an omission. Allow me to rephrase: 'Some consulates may not ask for proof of funds or affadavits of support'. I hope that clarifies my point. I will be more careful next time.

It wasn't so much a blanket statement as an omission. Allow me to rephrase: 'Some consulates may not ask for proof of funds or affadavits of support'. I hope that clarifies my point. I will be more careful next time.

Yup - thanks!

I bang on that point because there are people every year t h at get delayed or even lose their visa because they don't believe they have to meet the public charge requirement.