• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees

hello again!
waiting to fly to USA for the first time with my DV this Friday, I would like to hear what to expect at CBP inspection from your experience. I am travelling with my two children, one adult, one minor. My husband will follow us on Wednesday.
thank you in advance
2017EUxxx

Not much. Some chit chat, they'll take your brown envelopes, stamp your passport, take fingerprints. Might get it done in a "secondary processing" area. Might or might not take a while...depends on airport and busyness.
I assume you are the primary selectee?

The process can indeed sometimes be confusing. But when someone gets crystal clear instructions in writing - whether in the DV entry instructions or from the embassy - they should follow them. We've seen before people get into trouble because they followed "advice on the internet" which differed from instructions.

Very true.

hello again!
waiting to fly to USA for the first time with my DV this Friday, I would like to hear what to expect at CBP inspection from your experience. I am travelling with my two children, one adult, one minor. My husband will follow us on Wednesday.
thank you in advance
2017EUxxx

I went thru primary passport control with other visitors, then to a secondary processing area where they open the sealed envelope and depending on the airport that might take a while. Mine took 4 hours at Houston.

Not much. Some chit chat, they'll take your brown envelopes, stamp your passport, take fingerprints. Might get it done in a "secondary processing" area. Might or might not take a while...depends on airport and busyness.
I assume you are the primary selectee?

Yes i am the primary applicant and enter at JFK. My husband will enter through LAX!
Oh, my! Guriix! 4 hours in Huston????

Yes i am the primary applicant and enter at JFK. My husband will enter through LAX!
Oh, my! Guriix! 4 hours in Huston????
JFK is a wild card, depending on which terminal & what time of day. I've spent over 2 hours IN LINE there before .... other times breezed right through. Some terminals have lines specifically for new immigrants, so check for that when you land. Make sure your brown envelopes are visible for the people helping those in line to see.

JFK is a wild card, depending on which terminal & what time of day. I've spent over 2 hours IN LINE there before .... other times breezed right through. Some terminals have lines specifically for new immigrants, so check for that when you land. Make sure your brown envelopes are visible for the people helping those in line to see.

thank you SusieQQQ, very helpful information!

Good morning from New York! Entrance was so blunt! Nobody told us welcome to United states and congratulations... haha
Anyway, the stamp in the passports is barely visible , there is not enough ink! I am wondering how i will travel without my green card with this stamp. I cant see any i-551 stamp!! Anyhow I will ask when leaving the country....
Major question now is : does anybody know where to be insured until we find a job? I mean a good insurance covering serious procedures not a simple contract. And one that does not cost 10,000$ per year !!!!!
Thank you!

Good morning from New York! Entrance was so blunt! Nobody told us welcome to United states and congratulations... haha
Anyway, the stamp in the passports is barely visible , there is not enough ink! I am wondering how i will travel without my green card with this stamp. I cant see any i-551 stamp!! Anyhow I will ask when leaving the country....
Major question now is : does anybody know where to be insured until we find a job? I mean a good insurance covering serious procedures not a simple contract. And one that does not cost 10,000$ per year !!!!!
Thank you!

http://britsimonsays.com/health-insurance-for-new-immigrants/

hi guys! I have been staring for some minutes my laptop screen with the word ISSUED and cant have enough of it!!!!!!
I know for sometime that me and my family are granted the div visa, since we were on administration processing and on 20th December they asked for our passports to proceed. today it was the first time I entered the tracker status site and guess what, our visas have been issued today, January the 13th!!!!!!
I am so relieved! it has been a stressful procedure but hope this turn of page in our lives will turn out for the best.
I thank you all for your help and thank god for this forum, many times it has calmed me down and given me courage.
Very soon I will describe the steps of my 2017EU case and what was asked from the CO and we faced administration processing; it may help others in this forum.
again I wish everybody all the best!
thank you MOM, thank you SIMON and the rest moderators <3

Hi, congrats to you and other winners as well!

Kelly (and others), I know you are very busy now, but could you please help us sharing your experience with your case/AP when you get some free time, because I think we have similar situation.
We where also selected for 2017 EU (my unmarried wife was the lucky one), DS submitted for my wife and kid in June 2016, if I remember correctly, but we have some issues... We are not married, but this is not the biggest issue, because we are together for about 13 years and have 3 year old girl now, have many pictures and my wife added my last name to her documents few years before we even apply for the lottery...

Our happiness (mine, because she is not that eager to go to US, but that is another story...) ended when I realized and remembered that I have a criminal record. Basically about 18 years ago(I was 19 years old then), one of my "friends" asked me a favor which I eventually agreed to help him, so I ended up on court for some unpaid cell phone bills... I know it was stupid, but it is what it is now. Anyhow, I was accused and convicted of accessory/aiding in fraud to 6 months prison for 1 year probation, so I never been in jail for that crime and have never ever had any problems with the law except some speeding tickets(I ride motorcycles whole my life). My record is expunged here in my country and by our law I was not convicted if asked now legally, but as DV260 clearly says any conviction, I don't want to lie in my application and therefore would like to declare it properly. I'm aware that aiding/accessory in fraud is treated same as fraud itself in US law and I know I'm inadmissible for GC. I also assume that CO will suggest I-601 and 202h wavier under criminal grounds (CIMT crime) establishing this: "At least 15 years have passed since the activity or event that made the applicant inadmissible, they have been rehabilitated and that their admission to the United States (or issuance of the immigrant visa) will not be contrary to the national welfare, safety or security of the United States;". Also I concluded that I don't need to use wavier for extreme hardship in my case.

So my question is this, assuming we (your husband and I )have been convicted for similar things, what CO suggested for you to do and what was the reason for AP in your case. If you where asked to submit I-601 and 202h, ho did you do it? Did you hire immigrant attorney /law firm, because I understand that I-601 is not just a form, it needs more than that. Or did you do it yourself and what else you have putted together with that form. So what would be the best thing to do now for us?

Any help is welcome, Thanks!

Hey guys! Has anyone from Venezuela had a DV interview in the London Embassy? Or maybe in any other Embassy in Europe? Looking for stories on how they handled Venezuelan birth certificates and police certificates given that legal documents from our country are so informal and sometimes even handwritten! Thanks

Hey guys! Has anyone from Venezuela had a DV interview in the London Embassy? Or maybe in any other Embassy in Europe? Looking for stories on how they handled Venezuelan birth certificates and police certificates given that legal documents from our country are so informal and sometimes even handwritten! Thanks

What they know is what is written in the reciprocity page. If they read that and they are still convinced, they would place you on AP while they verify your documents with the US embassy in Venezuela.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/VE.html

Hi, congrats to you and other winners as well!

Kelly (and others), I know you are very busy now, but could you please help us sharing your experience with your case/AP when you get some free time, because I think we have similar situation.
We where also selected for 2017 EU (my unmarried wife was the lucky one), DS submitted for my wife and kid in June 2016, if I remember correctly, but we have some issues... We are not married, but this is not the biggest issue, because we are together for about 13 years and have 3 year old girl now, have many pictures and my wife added my last name to her documents few years before we even apply for the lottery...

Our happiness (mine, because she is not that eager to go to US, but that is another story...) ended when I realized and remembered that I have a criminal record. Basically about 18 years ago(I was 19 years old then), one of my "friends" asked me a favor which I eventually agreed to help him, so I ended up on court for some unpaid cell phone bills... I know it was stupid, but it is what it is now. Anyhow, I was accused and convicted of accessory/aiding in fraud to 6 months prison for 1 year probation, so I never been in jail for that crime and have never ever had any problems with the law except some speeding tickets(I ride motorcycles whole my life). My record is expunged here in my country and by our law I was not convicted if asked now legally, but as DV260 clearly says any conviction, I don't want to lie in my application and therefore would like to declare it properly. I'm aware that aiding/accessory in fraud is treated same as fraud itself in US law and I know I'm inadmissible for GC. I also assume that CO will suggest I-601 and 202h wavier under criminal grounds (CIMT crime) establishing this: "At least 15 years have passed since the activity or event that made the applicant inadmissible, they have been rehabilitated and that their admission to the United States (or issuance of the immigrant visa) will not be contrary to the national welfare, safety or security of the United States;". Also I concluded that I don't need to use wavier for extreme hardship in my case.

So my question is this, assuming we (your husband and I )have been convicted for similar things, what CO suggested for you to do and what was the reason for AP in your case. If you where asked to submit I-601 and 202h, ho did you do it? Did you hire immigrant attorney /law firm, because I understand that I-601 is not just a form, it needs more than that. Or did you do it yourself and what else you have putted together with that form. So what would be the best thing to do now for us?

Any help is welcome, Thanks!

Dear BABAZANETTI,
your situation with the unpaid bills seems so nonessential and not so "criminal". my husband's was way more serious and finally it was OK. they didn't ask for any of the forms you say, which I don't even know what they are...... it seems to me that if you are unmarried would be your biggest issue to overcome! anyway, in a few hours I will upload the detailed story of our case so I hope it is helpful to you and any member of this great forum!

Helo everyone ,
I am a dv selectee of 2017 from nepal. I received my visa a few weeks back. As I did my medical examination a month earlier to my visa interview my visa was issued just for 4.5 months. I m flying to dallas texas on 19 th of february. I have my final exams on may/june of this year and I plan to stay in dallas for a month and get back to nepal to appear for my final exams. I know this has been asked many times but I hear the trends have changed from before and now the duration is a bit longer. My question is how long does it usually take to get SSN and the plastic green card. In my ds 260 form I have listed dallas as my address and my port of entry will also be dallas. I have already paid the USCIS immigrant fee. They say it usually takes around 120 days.
And do I have to get and additional biometric after I enter US or everything will be done at port of entry.
Thank u very much in advance for ur patience.

When you activate, you will get a stamp in your passport that serves as confirmation that you are a lawful permanent resident. You can use that stamp to re-enter once you come back in June.

SSN should take a couple of weeks. GC a bit longer: they say up to six months but it's usually less than that.

Hello!

I am about to describe the reasons that sent us to AP for a little while, with the hopes that this story could help or ease minds of other members of this forum.

2017EU***
DS-260 submitted on May 22nd 2016
2NL received September 20th 2016
Embassy appointment November 7th 2016 ---- results: AP under section 221(g)
Additional papers sent to Embassy on November 30th 2016
e-mail from embassy requesting for our passports December 20th 2016
visas issued on January 13th 2017
POE NY, JFK January 27th 2017

ok, after the bullet points let me explain. We are a family of 4, me, the primary applicant, my husband and our 2 children from my ex-husband; boy 19y, girl 15y. My main concern for jeopardizing the visa, was my husband’s old conviction of issuance of some bad checks with insufficient funds, although he was not responsible for them, but he still got convicted. His conviction was 7 months suspended sentence. Serious convictions are mostly considered sentences of 12 months and over.

We went to the Embassy on the 7th November 2016 fully prepared with 99% confidence that we will be found eligible right and there. I had all the paperwork prepared with copies as per instructions. At first, we were called to a very small office (like a window counter with a door) and there was a local employee of the embassy going over our papers and putting them in their wished order. She asked very basic questions, mainly about the papers, she was friendly enough.

After half an hour we have been called to a window, where an American Consular Officer took fingerprints from all of us.

Then, in about another half an hour we have been called again to a window. There the CO asked us some basic questions, where I went to school, where I studied, same for my husband, also for our son who was already a student at the time in the US with F1 Visa, and also our daughter who is 15, he even asked her a couple of questions like what she wishes to study and stuff. I am assuming he wanted to check the overall level of our family, English speaking and behavior. In our DS-260 application we had mentioned the conviction of my husband about the check. We didn’t hand out any court decisions to them but we had them with us. This conviction did not appear in any of my husband’s police records etc, so we thought they may not ask about it. However, the CO saw it on the DS-260 application and asked my husband about it: what exactly happened with that bad check? My husband told him the story in short, and the CO requested court papers regarding this conviction. My husband took them from his briefcase and handed them over to the CO. They were in our native language, as instructions said that all paperwork can be either in English or the native language of the country the Embassy is in. However, the CO asked that these papers will officially translated and given to them. At that point I knew that we would not walk out of the Embassy with the visas in our hands. We waited in the waiting room a bit longer and then the CO called for us again at the window and handed over the refusal paper with 3 items under section 221(g) which were:

1. The telephone number of the person we have as a contact in the US, oh as simple as this sounds, yes, we all enter a contact person in US with an address in our DS-260 application and they asked for this person’s phone number. Although this person is my cousin living in US, I didn’t know her phone number by heart, and I didn’t have my cell phone with me to look it up since the security of the embassy keeps them at the entrance!

2. The court paperwork and decision of my husband’s conviction officially translated in English and

3. The certified consent of my ex-husband, father of my daughter, regarding the immigration of our 15 y old daughter, since she is a minor. This we didn’t see coming!

I asked the CO, if we deliver those 3 items we will get the visas? And he replied yes.
On the 30th November we sent the conviction court papers officially translated in English, along with a couple of acquittal decisions of my husband for the same crime, the certified consent for our daughter from my ex and the phone number of my cousin.
After 20 agonizing days I received the e-mail from the Embassy requesting our passports to proceed with our case. I knew it then that we got the visas!

I want to thank immigration.com/forum and especially BritSimon, Sm1smom and SusieQQQ for their accurate contribution to this long and agonizing procedure of hundreds thousands of people of being selected to being found eligible for a diversity visa.

I hope to all members of this forum to experience this procedure as calmly as possible and if they are truly eligible on all counts to get the visa and not to be rejected for silly reasons.

Again, thank you immigration.com/forum for your valuable and accurate information.

Sincerely,
Kelly

Last edited:
Hello!

I am about to describe the reasons that sent us to AP for a little while, with the hopes that this story could help or ease minds of other members of this forum.

2017EU***

ok, after the bullet points let me explain. We are a family of 4, me, the primary applicant, my husband and our 2 children from my ex-husband; boy 19y, girl 15y. My main concern for jeopardizing the visa, was my husband’s old conviction of issuance of some bad checks with insufficient funds, although he was not responsible for them, but he still got convicted. His conviction was 7 months suspended sentence. Serious convictions are mostly considered sentences of 12 months and over.

We went to the Embassy on the 7th November 2016 fully prepared with 99% confidence that we will be found eligible right and there. I had all the paperwork prepared with copies as per instructions. At first, we were called to a very small office (like a window counter with a door) and there was a local employee of the embassy going over our papers and putting them in their wished order. She asked very basic questions, mainly about the papers, she was friendly enough.

After half an hour we have been called to a window, where an American Consular Officer took fingerprints from all of us.

Then, in about another half an hour we have been called again to a window. There the CO asked us some basic questions, where I went to school, where I studied, same for my husband, also for our son who was already a student at the time in the US with F1 Visa, and also our daughter who is 15, he even asked her a couple of questions like what she wishes to study and stuff. I am assuming he wanted to check the overall level of our family, English speaking and behavior. In our DS-260 application we had mentioned the conviction of my husband about the check. We didn’t hand out any court decisions to them but we had them with us. This conviction did not appear in any of my husband’s police records etc, so we thought they may not ask about it. However, the CO saw it on the DS-260 application and asked my husband about it: what exactly happened with that bad check? My husband told him the story in short, and the CO requested court papers regarding this conviction. My husband took them from his briefcase and handed them over to the CO. They were in our native language, as instructions said that all paperwork can be either in English or the native language of the country the Embassy is in. However, the CO asked that these papers will officially translated and given to them. At that point I knew that we would not walk out of the Embassy with the visas in our hands. We waited in the waiting room a bit longer and then the CO called for us again at the window and handed over the refusal paper with 3 items under section 221(g) which were:

1. The telephone number of the person we have as a contact in the US, oh as simple as this sounds, yes, we all enter a contact person in US with an address in our DS-260 application and they asked for this person’s phone number. Although this person is my cousin living in US, I didn’t know her phone number by heart, and I didn’t have my cell phone with me to look it up since the security of the embassy keeps them at the entrance!

2. The court paperwork and decision of my husband’s conviction officially translated in English and

3. The certified consent of my ex-husband, father of my daughter, regarding the immigration of our 15 y old daughter, since she is a minor. This we didn’t see coming!

I asked the CO, if we deliver those 3 items we will get the visas? And he replied yes.
On the 30th November we sent the conviction court papers officially translated in English, along with a couple of acquittal decisions of my husband for the same crime, the certified consent for our daughter from my ex and the phone number of my cousin.
After 20 agonizing days I received the e-mail from the Embassy requesting our passports to proceed with our case. I knew it then that we got the visas!

I want to thank immigration.com/forum and especially BritSimon, Sm1smom and SusieQQQ for their accurate contribution to this long and agonizing procedure of hundreds thousands of people of being selected to being found eligible for a diversity visa.

I hope to all members of this forum to experience this procedure as calmly as possible and if they are truly eligible on all counts to get the visa and not to be rejected for silly reasons.

Again, thank you immigration.com/forum for your valuable and accurate information.

Sincerely,
Kelly

Thanks for sharing that. Your dates illustrate one aspect of AP. If the AP is simply for missing documents and you have to return those to the embassy, that type of AP can be fast. However, in your case your AP crossed a month end. So, it took them almost 3 weeks to review the documents and then a further 3 weeks to issue the visas after they asked for your passports. That latter 3 weeks was the process of the embassy requesting a visa for you (since the original visa allocated was returned at the end of November).

IF you hade been able to return the documents earlier in November, the visa issuance would have been much faster.

Dear BABAZANETTI,
your situation with the unpaid bills seems so nonessential and not so "criminal". my husband's was way more serious and finally it was OK. they didn't ask for any of the forms you say, which I don't even know what they are...... it seems to me that if you are unmarried would be your biggest issue to overcome! anyway, in a few hours I will upload the detailed story of our case so I hope it is helpful to you and any member of this great forum!
Hello!

2017EU***

Sincerely,
Kelly

Hello Kelly,

Thanks for your extensive reply, it is really helpful and it is giving us a glimpse of hope.

We are still more concern about my conviction than our marriage , yes it was "only" about unpaid bills, but at that time this was treated as criminal offence in my country and I was convicted for fraud(aiding in fraud), so as far as I understand(from reading numerous laws, etc..) in eyes of immigration law this was a CIMT(crime involving moral turpitude) and on that ground I'm inadmissible. Furthermore, when I was researching about that, I found out in few places that passing "bad" checks is not considered as CIMT therefore is exempt from inadmissibility of immigration visa. I think that was the reason why you didn't need to file I-601 and you only need to give them translation of court records, so they can confirm that conviction was for passing bad checks. It would be really helpful if you write what exact conviction was for in that translated document.

To be honest we are now on the fence, should we go trough all of this, considering our situation and all. My wife is not so negative about the move to US and I could say she is more for it now, but there are soooo much things on the scale, so we are constantly weighing pros and cons. I must say we have really good life here from financial side, we don't have any loans, we have our apartment(fully paid), cars, motorcycle, savings, etc... I always wanted to live in US, was dreaming about it since I was in my teens. Now I'm not so sure if this is the right decision anymore in this phase of our lives, but on the other hand we think (especially me) that we are missing something great, so we are truly torn about it now...

Anyhow, thanks again and I wish you and your family all the best in your new life in US.

Hello!

2017EU***

Sincerely,
Kelly

Congrats and best of luck in your new life in the U.S.