• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

As @SusieQQQ said, most employers will subsidize your insurance. We pay $400 a month for our insurance (including dental and optometry). My employer pays the balance of $700. I was paying close to $500 a month in Australia for private health insurance plus Medicare Levy, so it's working out cheaper for us so far.

And the care is pretty good, I have to say. I needed to get four scripts filled last week. It cost me $6 for all four.

Hello Mom,
Kindly assist me here as I have a WRONG year (1989) of birth on my Original School Certificate, but have the CORRECT year of birth (1990) on all other documents Listed Below:

WASSCE CERTIFICATE; 15th May, 1989

Private WASSCE Certificate
; 15th May, 1990- correct DATE OF BIRTH

PASSPORT ; 15th May, 1990

BIRTH CERTIFICATE; 15th May, 1990

Edv Form; 15th May, 1990

DS-260 FORM; 15th May, 1990

QUESTIONS;

1. Will this cause me any problem at the interview?
2. I went to the Exams Council and I was told nothing can be done about it because I have wasted 8years after school before coming for correction. What can I do about it before am schedule for interview?
Thank You.
Looking forward to your expert views; BritSimon, SussieQQQ, Sm1smom, Sammy......

If you have read back at all on this thread you will see a number of people have wrong details on their school certificate.
As far as we know it is not a problem.

It is really better if people read at least a few pages before posting so that the same questions are not asked over and over.

If you have read back at all on this thread you will see a number of people have wrong details on their school certificate.
As far as we know it is not a problem.

It is really better if people read at least a few pages before posting so that the same questions are not asked over and over.
Thank you SusieQQQ

I'll be activating in September and wondering if there'll be any issues with making a short trip to Canada after arriving in the US?

The plan is Syd to NY (POE will be LAX), stay in NY for a few days, spend 2 days in Toronto, go back to NY for a few more days, then fly back home to Syd. Will be using Aussie passport to enter Canada. Should i use the US visa/temporary GC to enter the US again? Would probably get some questions wouldn't i?

Thought i'd check with you guys before buying tickets.

Thanks heaps!

As @SusieQQQ said, most employers will subsidize your insurance. We pay $400 a month for our insurance (including dental and optometry). My employer pays the balance of $700. I was paying close to $500 a month in Australia for private health insurance plus Medicare Levy, so it's working out cheaper for us so far.

And the care is pretty good, I have to say. I needed to get four scripts filled last week. It cost me $6 for all four.

I've never bothered with private health cover in Australia, so I wouldn't even know what a good plan is! How many people does your $400 plan cover? My partner and
I are both self-employed here in Australia, but hearing all this has definitely convinced us that being an employee will be more beneficial for us in the States - at least initially.

Will be using Aussie passport to enter Canada. Should i use the US visa/temporary GC to enter the US again? Would probably get some questions wouldn't i?

Thanks heaps!

I'm a bit confused by the question - how else would you re-enter the US if not with your temporary green card?

I've never bothered with private health cover in Australia, so I wouldn't even know what a good plan is! How many people does your $400 plan cover? My partner and
I are both self-employed here in Australia, but hearing all this has definitely convinced us that being an employee will be more beneficial for us in the States - at least initially.

When we moved over our initial private coverage for a family of 4 was I think around $1800 /month, like Emily our employer subsidized one is now around $400, and it's better coverage.
Insurance can be quite state specific and if Trumpcare gets passed, will become even more so in terms of coverage, with certain states protecting consumers better while others seem to be champing at the bit to be allowed to deny/drop certain conditions.

I'm a bit confused by the question - how else would you re-enter the US if not with your temporary green card?

The other option would be to exit and enter using australian passport?

Just wanted to know if leaving the US and coming back within a few days would be an issue. That's all

Tomorrow's the day for my interview. I will share my experience once the interview is done.

As for the 3kg platinum express envelope we're meant to bring - if i understood correctly I am meant to self address it to myself.

But what about the sender details and address section? Does the US consulate fill that out?

Thanks everyone for your help.

-Tom

The other option would be to exit and enter using australian passport?

Just wanted to know if leaving the US and coming back within a few days would be an issue. That's all

The temporary green card (visa) is in your passport isn't it?! Anyway the short answer is if you are a LPR as you will be yes of course you should be using it. Trying to enter without using it would be what leads to problems. Why would a green card holder try enter the US as a tourist ...?!

The temporary green card (visa) is in your passport isn't it?! Anyway the short answer is if you are a LPR as you will be yes of course you should be using it. Trying to enter without using it would be what leads to problems. Why would a green card holder try enter the US as a tourist ...?!

I meant the Australian passport page in the passport as opposed to the green card visa page. I was just putting it out there as an alternative option (wasn't actually going to use a tourist visa).

Thanks for your input Susie but i'll wait and see if anyone else has had that experience who can answer my original question.

Cheers

Tomorrow's the day for my interview. I will share my experience once the interview is done.

As for the 3kg platinum express envelope we're meant to bring - if i understood correctly I am meant to self address it to myself.

But what about the sender details and address section? Does the US consulate fill that out?

Thanks everyone for your help.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes the consulate will fill it out.

Good luck for tomorrow!

I meant the Australian passport page in the passport as opposed to the green card visa page. I was just putting it out there as an alternative option (wasn't actually going to use a tourist visa).

Thanks for your input Susie but i'll wait and see if anyone else has had that experience who can answer my original question.

Cheers

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the Australian passport page in the passport as opposed to the green card visa page."

You present the passport with the temporary GC, end of story.

Cheers

You could very well be considered to be abandoning your green card by trying to enter as a tourist. ( Trying to hide your green card counts. Not that you have any contril over what immigration looks at in your passport, and they'll obviously have records of your previous entry. ) Quite a sad thing to do just after receiving it. Read this, and note that the word is "must" re presenting green card, it's not optional... https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...cuments-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

Plenty of us obviously have experience re-entering the US ...all using our green cards (temporary or plastic) because that is what you're supposed to do. I'm not sure why you find this so difficult to accept!! But by all means wait for input from others.

You could very well be considered to be abandoning your green card by trying to enter as a tourist. ( Trying to hide your green card counts. Not that you have any contril over what immigration looks at in your passport, and they'll obviously have records of your previous entry. ) Quite a sad thing to do just after receiving it. Read this, and note that the word is "must" re presenting green card, it's not optional... https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...cuments-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

Never said i was going to do that. Was just trying to clarify your question about the australian passport page vs green card visa. But thanks for the link, looks useful.

I'm not sure why you find this so difficult to accept!! But by all means wait for input from others.

I'm not finding this "difficult to accept" at all. I was just trying to ask a question/clarify your question. I get that people use the green card to enter and exit, quite simple. Not sure why you seem so frustrated/heated up about this.

However my question was: Would there be any issues with activating then leaving to another country almost immediately, then going back into the US again before returning home.

I'll be activating in September and wondering if there'll be any issues with making a short trip to Canada after arriving in the US?

The plan is Syd to NY (POE will be LAX), stay in NY for a few days, spend 2 days in Toronto, go back to NY for a few more days, then fly back home to Syd. Will be using Aussie passport to enter Canada. Should i use the US visa/temporary GC to enter the US again? Would probably get some questions wouldn't i?

Thanks heaps!

Possible answers could've been:

Any issues with making a short trip ... yes/no/not sure etc
Should i use the visa/temp GC to enter the US again ... yes
Would probably get some questions ... yes/no/likely/not sure

Not trying to start an argument here but you seemed to have misunderstood where i was coming from. This is merely to clarify, again.

Never said i was going to do that. Was just trying to clarify your question about the australian passport page vs green card visa. But thanks for the link, looks useful.

I'm not finding this "difficult to accept" at all. I was just trying to ask a question/clarify your question. I get that people use the green card to enter and exit, quite simple. Not sure why you seem so frustrated/heated up about this.

However my question was: Would there be any issues with activating then leaving to another country almost immediately, then going back into the US again before returning home.

Possible answers could've been:

Any issues with making a short trip ... yes/no/not sure etc
Should i use the visa/temp GC to enter the US again ... yes
Would probably get some questions ... yes/no/likely/not sure

Not trying to start an argument here but you seemed to have misunderstood where i was coming from. This is merely to clarify, again.

Wtf? I didn't have a question about the pages at all, i just asked for confirmation that the visa was in your Australian passport (in case you had other passports as you didn't simply say "my passport"), and I was asking why you seemed to think you didn't need to use it and in my very first response said yes of course you should use the temp GC. And told you that there would instead be issues if you tried not to use it, rather than if you did. In short - I clearly answered all parts of your question. Then you came back with a thanks for my "input" but you'd wait for other opinions. Now you're acting as though I didn't give you a clear response and blaming me for being argumentative! Good lord. Good luck with your travels, all you need is some common sense in actuality to figure out what to do.

Last edited:
On a lighter note: I got approved this morning!

It was quick and easy, with minimal questions (have you lived OS before, have you been married, do you have kids?). I wasn't told to take my wallet with me, but when I got to level 59 and saw everyone with theirs, I just asked to go back down and get it - no problems. Similarly, the address for sending my actual Greencard was stored in my phone - another trip down to level 10 to retrieve the details. All the staff were friendly. And in terms of education - you only need your highest qualification - just the certificate and not the transcript, and not any high school stuff if you have Uni quals.

To note for others: bring the actual printed checklist with you - the one that has the address where your Greencard will be sent in the states. And don't stress if you're late or early. They just process people as they come. There are a bunch of appointments on Tuesday morning till about noon - everyone is in the same boat.

I saw one man pay his visa fee then get called up to the window and he had selected Australia as his birth country when it was actually Egypt (presumably for the DV). He was sent straight home and told to reapply in October lottery with correct country - no fee refund.

Another person was put into AP and I'm not sure what for - they stressed to her it was important to get the documents before September 30.

Mostly it was just strange to be sitting and waiting somewhere ...without my phone! And trying to pick which staff would have US or Aussie accents. I made friends with the security guards on level 10 - they were pretty funny.

Flying out on August 21 with no home or job yet - call me an optimist :)