• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

I GOT IT!! Interview passed :)

MY INTERVIEW STORY

Hey guys! I had my interview in Sydney a few weeks back and thought I'd share my experience here :) I'll try to be as detailed as possible & hopefully this helps people getting interviews in Sydney.

My interview was at 9:45 on the 11th of April. Off course - I got there way too early, but would rather that than be late.
I went up the elevator to the security area. I had in my hands the documents needed (In a plastic folder as neat as I could have put them, but didn't seem to matter as you'll see)

Before proceeding to the next room, I was told by the security guard that they would take my cell phone for the entire time I was inside & I would get it back upon leaving. I was then directed to a 'receptionist' kind of person who actually requested certain documents off of me & put them in the order they needed to be which was great. This included my passport, high school cert, birth certificate, police record. She ordered it in the way she wanted it before returning it to me and sending me through the customs area.
(This is where you have to leave basically everything except your documents - so I encourage you to travel light! It's kind of like going through airport customs, taking off shoes etc.)

I took a seat before being called into the next area which was a few floors up - the interview area! - I took a number upon entering as instructed and took a seat. My number was called. The woman behind the desk was friendly & to the point. She asked for the documents before directing me to the 'pay window' to make the $330 fee (or whatever it was) then directed me to come back to her. It was all pretty straight forward and she didn't really ask anything much of me considering I had given her all the documents needed. (Medical exam, birth cert, police record, high school cert, passport.)

I then took a seat & waited to be called up for my actual interview! This is when things got scary for a moment... As I sat there, I witnessed an ENTIRE family (mother, father, son daughter & baby) be flat out denied their green cards because they made a mistake when filling out their initial entry form! They selected 'Australia' as their country of chargeability because they are Australian citizens but they SHOULD have chosen Shri Lanka because that is the country they were born in & that is what matters! Anyway - they all had just paid the fees & it was heartbreaking to watch this happen. They seemed like a really sweet family.
So, you can imagine how scared I suddenly became - doubting everything Ive filled out thus far etc & second guessing myself.

I was then called up for my interview -It was SO relaxed. They ask you the formalities like 'Do you swear to tell the truth etc' & get your finger prints digitally. He looked over my documentation & then said 'Thank you, your visa is approved.' *Sweet Relief/ best feeling ever*

For anyone wondering - I was never asked anything about my financial situation, proof of funds, employment, travel plans. Every case is going to be different but my interview was very simple, straight forward & easy. Everyone there was friendly (we're all humans after all)...

Hope this helps :)

Congrats on your approval @GreatestNameofAll and best of luck in your new journey to the U.S.

MY INTERVIEW STORY

Hey guys! I had my interview in Sydney a few weeks back and thought I'd share my experience here :) I'll try to be as detailed as possible & hopefully this helps people getting interviews in Sydney.

My interview was at 9:45 on the 11th of April. Off course - I got there way too early, but would rather that than be late.
I went up the elevator to the security area. I had in my hands the documents needed (In a plastic folder as neat as I could have put them, but didn't seem to matter as you'll see)

Before proceeding to the next room, I was told by the security guard that they would take my cell phone for the entire time I was inside & I would get it back upon leaving. I was then directed to a 'receptionist' kind of person who actually requested certain documents off of me & put them in the order they needed to be which was great. This included my passport, high school cert, birth certificate, police record. She ordered it in the way she wanted it before returning it to me and sending me through the customs area.
(This is where you have to leave basically everything except your documents - so I encourage you to travel light! It's kind of like going through airport customs, taking off shoes etc.)

I took a seat before being called into the next area which was a few floors up - the interview area! - I took a number upon entering as instructed and took a seat. My number was called. The woman behind the desk was friendly & to the point. She asked for the documents before directing me to the 'pay window' to make the $330 fee (or whatever it was) then directed me to come back to her. It was all pretty straight forward and she didn't really ask anything much of me considering I had given her all the documents needed. (Medical exam, birth cert, police record, high school cert, passport.)

I then took a seat & waited to be called up for my actual interview! This is when things got scary for a moment... As I sat there, I witnessed an ENTIRE family (mother, father, son daughter & baby) be flat out denied their green cards because they made a mistake when filling out their initial entry form! They selected 'Australia' as their country of chargeability because they are Australian citizens but they SHOULD have chosen Shri Lanka because that is the country they were born in & that is what matters! Anyway - they all had just paid the fees & it was heartbreaking to watch this happen. They seemed like a really sweet family.
So, you can imagine how scared I suddenly became - doubting everything Ive filled out thus far etc & second guessing myself.

I was then called up for my interview -It was SO relaxed. They ask you the formalities like 'Do you swear to tell the truth etc' & get your finger prints digitally. He looked over my documentation & then said 'Thank you, your visa is approved.' *Sweet Relief/ best feeling ever*

For anyone wondering - I was never asked anything about my financial situation, proof of funds, employment, travel plans. Every case is going to be different but my interview was very simple, straight forward & easy. Everyone there was friendly (we're all humans after all)...

That Sri Lankan family contacted me after the interview (April 11th) wanting to appeal. I told them it was hopeless because they had crossed a region. Sad.

Congrats to you. It's easy when you look back - huh!

MY INTERVIEW STORY

Congratulations! Did you by any chance get your fingerprints done for the police check? Or did you just submit the AFP form online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone had any experiences on activating, leaving, then entering & leaving once more before making the permanent move?

So e.g. if i activate (September) then enter again in 5 months time (February - return ticket), before making the permanent move 7 months later (September 2018). Is that possible or would that be too risky?

Has anyone had any experiences on activating, leaving, then entering & leaving once more before making the permanent move?

So e.g. if i activate (September) then enter again in 5 months time (February - return ticket), before making the permanent move 7 months later (September 2018). Is that possible or would that be too risky?

I did that, got heavily questioned on the 2nd entry on a return ticket.

So I submitted my DS260 on March 1st, got my 2nl on 25th April and my interview is scheduled for 7th June.
I am from Fiji but I was in Australia for four years for my studies so I had to get a Police Check done.
The letter for police checks was very generic and stated that I needed to get my fingerprints taken at a local police station and send it together with the National Police Check form via post. I got those done and sent it to the address mentioned. However instead of code 35, I picked code 33.. Would that be a problem?
Also, the website said that police checks with fingerprints will take approximately 30 working days. I do not think I will be able to get a Police Check in time.
Will that cause any problems or can I forward that to the Embassy later?
Since I couriered all my forms via TNT, I received a notification that the form was received on 1st May.
Is it ok if I can call and check if my forms have been received and the processing of it has already begun? I thought they would send an acknowledgement email advising me that forms have been received and under process but have not yet gotten anything.

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the information.

Thanks Susie. Think i'll avoid entering again until i make the permanent move then!

Well - it was uncomfortable but obviously they let me in! Just be prepared for it.
Also remember that should you want to naturalize one day, any absence of longer than 6 months resets the 5-year timer.

Well - it was uncomfortable but obviously they let me in! Just be prepared for it.
Also remember that should you want to naturalize one day, any absence of longer than 6 months resets the 5-year timer.

Out of interest, what questions did they ask you? And did they question you again when you made the permanent move?

Yes that was the other factor, if i enter again at 5 months i'll get to count the year towards the 5 years.
But the last thing i want is to have the GC taken away or not let in!

Out of interest, what questions did they ask you? And did they question you again when you made the permanent move?

Yes that was the other factor, if i enter again at 5 months i'll get to count the year towards the 5 years.

I suggest you don't take the clock resetting only for trips 6 months and above at face value. There are several other things they will consider too at the naturalization interview to determine if you're eligible when you file. Your plan of activating, leaving and coming in at 5 months only to leave again for several months will most likely not qualify for counting that first year towards your 5 year citizenship clock.

He was asking things like do I undstand what the residency requirements are, can I show I have a residence in the US' why am I leaving again so soon etc...it was a bit hairy. Luckily I'd already submitted my tax return and could answer kind of the questions but he was stern about letting me in. When I went back again - with the rest of my family who'd all been out 11 months - they did start on the same track of questions and I kind of (politely) cut the guy off with "yes we are now able to make the proper move and are here on a one way ticket" and he was like "cool ok guys, welcome home"!!

I suggest you don't take the clock resetting only for trips 6 months and above at face value. There are several other things they will consider too at the naturalization interview to determine if you're eligible when you file. Your plan of activating, leaving and coming in at 5 months only to leave again for several months will most likely not qualify for counting that first year towards your 5 year citizenship clock.

I do know a couple of people who did this successfully and I certainly plan to try! There were asked about trips out and reasons though. Will let you know in due course if it doesn't work for me! It seems if you've been living properly in the few years before you apply that they take that more into account. I haven't looked at all that detail yet but there is some kind of requirement about living continuously for 3 years within the 5 before you apply? That's easy to show.

I do know a couple of people who did this successfully and I certainly plan to try! There were asked about trips out and reasons though. Will let you know in due course if it doesn't work for me! It seems if you've been living properly in the few years before you apply that they take that more into account. I haven't looked at all that detail yet but there is some kind of requirement about living continuously for 3 years within the 5 before you apply? That's easy to show.

Yeah, there are things like physical presence and continuous residency requirements that needs to be met. I admit I haven't looked closely into them because these are not things I need to personally worry about. And to think I will be filing in the next couple of months! Time flies!! Anyways, I've read of how they also look into one's travel patterns though at the time of the interview even when one technically meets the physical presence and continuous residency requirements. Anyway do let us know how yours goes too when the time comes.

Yeah, there are things like physical presence and continuous residency requirements that needs to be met. I admit I haven't looked closely into them because these are not things I need to personally worry about. And to think I will be filing in the next couple of months! Time flies!! Anyways, I've read of how they also look into one's travel patterns though at the time of the interview even when one technically meets the physical presence and continuous residency requirements. Anyway do let us know how yours goes too when the time comes.

Yeah I'm sure if you're constantly out for months at a a time it will count against - ours was just in the first year and travel since is clearly and demonstrably just short vacations.
And wow re your upcoming filing :)

Hi Lottic, I did this a few months ago, so
  • Activation Feb 2016
  • 5 Month return trip Sep 2016 (only in the USA for 3 days) *
  • Permanent move Jan 2017

I got hassled pretty badly when entering LAX for the 5 month trip. They always ask "how long have you been away?". When I answered "5 months" he repeated it sounding shocked "FIVE MONTHS?!!" stopping what he was doing and sitting back in his chair staring at me. I went into damage control "I won the greencard lottery and I couldn't plan that. The consulate said I had the first year to sort out my personal arrangements". He seemed to accept my answer but when he turned back to the computer he was shaking his head left-and-right angrily like a "no". At the end when he stamped the passport he got out his pen and handwrote beside the stamp "FIVE MONTHS". Not good.

For my permanent move I flew one way from Korea to Las Vegas. The guy was super friendly. He asked where I lived. I said "here, as of today" which he liked. No problems at all.

I think the 5 month trip is a good idea. I'm happy I did it, despite the bad experience. I'll probably get my citizenship one year earlier so it was worth the hassle and stress.

* btw I actually took a day trip to Mexico during my five month trip so in theory my last entry was at the Mexican land border. It may have pushed any negative notes off the main page of the computer. In the computer "1 day absent" looks better. Just a little theory of mine.

Hi Lottic, I did this a few months ago, so
  • Activation Feb 2016
  • 5 Month return trip Sep 2016 (only in the USA for 3 days) *
  • Permanent move Jan 2017

I got hassled pretty badly when entering LAX for the 5 month trip. They always ask "how long have you been away?". When I answered "5 months" he repeated it sounding shocked "FIVE MONTHS?!!" stopping what he was doing and sitting back in his chair staring at me. I went into damage control "I won the greencard lottery and I couldn't plan that. The consulate said I had the first year to sort out my personal arrangements". He seemed to accept my answer but when he turned back to the computer he was shaking his head left-and-right angrily like a "no". At the end when he stamped the passport he got out his pen and handwrote beside the stamp "FIVE MONTHS". Not good.

For my permanent move I flew one way from Korea to Las Vegas. The guy was super friendly. He asked where I lived. I said "here, as of today" which he liked. No problems at all.

I think the 5 month trip is a good idea. I'm happy I did it, despite the bad experience. I'll probably get my citizenship one year earlier so it was worth the hassle and stress.

* btw I actually took a day trip to Mexico during my five month trip so in theory my last entry was at the Mexican land border. It may have pushed any negative notes off the main page of the computer. In the computer "1 day absent" looks better. Just a little theory of mine.

Interesting you say "they always ask"... I have noticed that since we made the permanent move, a time during which I have travelled outside the US on short trips I think 5 times, I have never once been asked anything on return - just welcome home, stamp passport. I am convinced it's because they can see the travel is on return tickets originating and ending in the US.

Well we made it!!
After all the anxiety about bub coming late and leaving our activation tripto the final date we made it. Not without drama though.

Our flight from Aus to Lax was 30 mins late into the gate and then we were at the furtherest gate possible and were bussed to the terminal. Once at the terminal we asked where to go i.e. which line and were told many different things.. eventually we ended up in the special assistance and diplomats line and were greeted by a really lovely guy. He completed most of the computer stuff and took our yellow envelopes and bubs original birth certificate but this is where it went from a good experience to a not so great one.
If you remember.. we were entering with a new born (5 weeks to be exact), so we were then escorted to "the room" the place in LAX where you are not officially on american soil.. we get there and then room is full already.. we had booked a flight from Lax to Portland for 3.5 hours after our landing time in LAX thinking that would be plenty of time but once we got to that room I started to doubt it.
Once in the room we were told to take a seat and we would be processed soon.
Well over an hour passed and we watched people get grilled about their intentions in the US and other things. There was one particular BPO that was really rude and I was hoping he wouldn't be looking after us.. and then I saw our envelopes in his hand.. he took them out back and then about half an hour later (when I was in the restroom with the baby) he came and asked my husband for our babies passport photos (which we had thankfully due to this forum) and also wanted our original marriage certificate (which we didn't have with us), he went back to the back room and surfaced again about 45mins later. When he walked out he just pointed at me and motioned for me to come to him and then basically yelled at my husband to come as well. He then grilled me asking me how long i intended to stay and made some comment about a few months and I replied saying eventually permanently but we are only here for 2 weeks this time and plan to go home sell our house and move permanently. He then says you know that it is a federal offence to lie to a federal officer to which I replied yes of course. He then said when do you plan to come back 3 or 4 months and I said no.. we plan to be back closer to 9-12 months.. then he gave me a peice of paper for bub attached to a photocopy of his birth certificate and our passports. I asked if he needed to keep the original and he really rudely said yes all originals, you'd know that if you did your research and you'd know you should have brought your original marriage certificate as well.. i didn't want to push my luck and say we had already provided it all to the embassy so I thanked him and got out of there..
We missed our flight to Portland but Alaska Air put us on the next flight and wiaved the fees..
Definitely avoid LAX.. if you aren't a straight forward entry..
I don't even know how to go about paying the fee for bub (or if I have to as he didn't provide any information).
But it all all done and dusted for now and when we immigrate permanently in the next year we won't go through LAX if we can avoid it.

Well we made it!!
After all the anxiety about bub coming late and leaving our activation tripto the final date we made it. Not without drama though.

Our flight from Aus to Lax was 30 mins late into the gate and then we were at the furtherest gate possible and were bussed to the terminal. Once at the terminal we asked where to go i.e. which line and were told many different things.. eventually we ended up in the special assistance and diplomats line and were greeted by a really lovely guy. He completed most of the computer stuff and took our yellow envelopes and bubs original birth certificate but this is where it went from a good experience to a not so great one.
If you remember.. we were entering with a new born (5 weeks to be exact), so we were then escorted to "the room" the place in LAX where you are not officially on american soil.. we get there and then room is full already.. we had booked a flight from Lax to Portland for 3.5 hours after our landing time in LAX thinking that would be plenty of time but once we got to that room I started to doubt it.
Once in the room we were told to take a seat and we would be processed soon.
Well over an hour passed and we watched people get grilled about their intentions in the US and other things. There was one particular BPO that was really rude and I was hoping he wouldn't be looking after us.. and then I saw our envelopes in his hand.. he took them out back and then about half an hour later (when I was in the restroom with the baby) he came and asked my husband for our babies passport photos (which we had thankfully due to this forum) and also wanted our original marriage certificate (which we didn't have with us), he went back to the back room and surfaced again about 45mins later. When he walked out he just pointed at me and motioned for me to come to him and then basically yelled at my husband to come as well. He then grilled me asking me how long i intended to stay and made some comment about a few months and I replied saying eventually permanently but we are only here for 2 weeks this time and plan to go home sell our house and move permanently. He then says you know that it is a federal offence to lie to a federal officer to which I replied yes of course. He then said when do you plan to come back 3 or 4 months and I said no.. we plan to be back closer to 9-12 months.. then he gave me a peice of paper for bub attached to a photocopy of his birth certificate and our passports. I asked if he needed to keep the original and he really rudely said yes all originals, you'd know that if you did your research and you'd know you should have brought your original marriage certificate as well.. i didn't want to push my luck and say we had already provided it all to the embassy so I thanked him and got out of there..
We missed our flight to Portland but Alaska Air put us on the next flight and wiaved the fees..
Definitely avoid LAX.. if you aren't a straight forward entry..
I don't even know how to go about paying the fee for bub (or if I have to as he didn't provide any information).
But it all all done and dusted for now and when we immigrate permanently in the next year we won't go through LAX if we can avoid it.

Sounds like the officer is either a complete a hole with Trump hand syndrome or was just having a bad day. Glad you got in though - talk about last minute.