• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

The main benefit to open the bank accounts in advance is two fold, firstly if you don't intend to do an activation trip it's ready to go prior to arrival to make payments and transfer funds, and secondly to allow you to build a US credit history before even arriving in country (more on this below).

HSBC is now the only bank that will allow you to open a US based account from overseas prior to arrival unless you qualify for their premier tier of service with account balance minimums. Citibank used to provide this service also, but ceased during the past year.

HSBC will allow you to setup a US based account if you have an Australian account for 200 AUD regardless of your account balance. You can then fund this prior to arrival.

Happy to answer any questions as needed.

The main benefit to open the bank accounts in advance is two fold, firstly if you don't intend to do an activation trip it's ready to go prior to arrival to make payments and transfer funds, and secondly to allow you to build a US credit history before even arriving in country (more on this below).

HSBC is now the only bank that will allow you to open a US based account from overseas prior to arrival unless you qualify for their premier tier of service with account balance minimums. Citibank used to provide this service also, but ceased during the past year.

I presume you mean a credit card account then as you can't build a credit history otherwise?

Well, ymmv (as they say here). Almost everyone I know who moved over opened accounts only on an activation trip and I don't know anyone who's had any material issues as a result. I could transfer funds on day 1, same day as opening my account. I had a good credit score within 6 months, it didn't really affect anything one way or the other tbh. Again different people may find different things. I had no hassle with anything at all and still don't see the point of two months of hassle upfront?

Plus, HSBC may not be the most...convenient bank you have in the US.

^^ ditto what Sussie said above. You can't build a credit history simply by opening an account unless it is a credit card account and you will need to start using it considerably anyways in order for the credit history to make a difference.

We had HSBC credit cards and our credit score did transfer over, which resulted in a score in the 700s within two months or so. Which was helpful but not really necessary. You can start from scratch and have a good score within six months.

And, as Susie says, HSBC has precious few locations in the US. Our closest branch is four hours away. So it might not be a convenient option for many.

You can have the HSBC account to start auth then once you are stateside, get a common bank with nearby branches and a credit card to build or continue building credit. I easily got a capital one card and within 6 months I had good credit. Citi Bank, Discovery, Wells Fargo were not willing to take the risk with me being a new comer. I've heard good things about Bank of America too. Within a few days of arrival and the SSN in hand you should walk into any bank and open a cashing account.

So then how does the AMEX card transfer work with the banks? That's supposed to be a great help for having good credit right from the get-go?

And is there much difference between the banks? For example, in UK, Santander, NatWest seem kind of regular, and Lloyds and Barclays are a bit more prestigious or fancy?

So then how does the AMEX card transfer work with the banks? That's supposed to be a great help for having good credit right from the get-go?

And is there much difference between the banks? For example, in UK, Santander, NatWest seem kind of regular, and Lloyds and Barclays are a bit more prestigious or fancy?

You get more regional banks in the US. A bank that is brilliant in California might not have any branches on the east coast, for example, so there's one difference vs UK. Some people love the regional banks as they have a reputation for better /closer customer service etc.

I don't know that any banks are much more "prestigious' than others (then again I never picked up that Barclays was supposedly better than others, so ...maybe I'm not the best judge). But it depends on you personally too; for example you can be a Chase bog-standard client with normal credit card and checkbook, or a private client with a relationship banker,and a sapphire reserve card and special checks to flash around etc. Most banks have this kind of differentiated service. Some of the banks aimed primarily at the higher end, like Schwab, don't have as many product offerings as some of the other banks. So you probably need to figure out what you want from your bank and choose based on that.

Yeah sorry, I had to append the post as the filter keeps blocking my post for some reason and it came out somewhat muddled. I've tried to write something clearer but it won't let me submit for some reason...

I've given up, this filter thing is pretty frustrating

@Wingpin with regards to the AMEX credit history transfer, you contact AMEX in the US and log a new application as an existing foreign customer and they'll give you a US card based on your Australian credit history. The only downside with this approach relative to obtaining one in advance depending on circumstances is that this cannot be completed until you have your SSN which may be several weeks before that arrives.

Thanks for the great post, @TheaT :) sorry to hear about the troubles at LAX. Not fun after such a long flight!

Do you mind me asking how the interviews are going? Makes sense that the recruiters would be cautious, as they're responsible for screening, but I was hoping once you're actually in front of an interview the reaction was a bit more positive. I've been on the other side of the table, and am impressed by people who go out of their way to make such a big change in their life.

Also, great advice on opening a bank account. Does anyone know of banks other than HSBC that would accommodate this? I've had a couple of accounts with them here in Australia and always found their processes painful.

As for myself, my passport came back at the start of last week. We have one more hurdle to get over with my partner's re-entry permit (posted in another thread) which, fingers crossed, should be resolved in a few days. Then we'll be booking flights for September. Also need to inform work, which will be kinda funny given just a month ago a colleague resigned for the same reason...!

Thanks for your comments and best of luck with your partner's re-entry permit! :)

The interviews actually went well once I got through the initial screening. I had a chat with another recruiter today and he mentioned that it was good that I've included my Green Card status in my LinkedIn profile. Btw, that's just my approach, it might be a bit excessive, but seemed to work for this particular recruiter. I've been proactively messaging recruiters and people within my industry in NY even if I don't know them at all. I probably wouldn't have done this back home as I don't want to hassle others unnecessarily. But it's a competitive market here and networking seems to be the norm, just want to do my absolute best to increase the chance of landing the next role.

I think there're quite a few comments about the bank account matter already. I have only done this through HSBC so am not sure about other alternatives. I also agree with Susie that it's easy enough to open one when you get here too! It's a good way to get to know your neighbourhood when you have to go around town to run a few admin errands.

Good luck with informing work, what a co-incident that your colleague also won the DV lottery! Must be in the water ;) Enjoy the next few months and take your time to savour those awesome lattes I miss so much!

^^ agree -> alsways a good idea to make it very clear immediately that you have a green card if your education/experience is all elsewhere.

Thanks @EmilyW for your reply re Onet, two more questions! Do I need to get the copies of my original documents certified by a JP? (my appointment is with the Sydney Consulate)
I also applied for my Police Check last week (Name and Fingerprint check because I forgot to write down 'full disclosure' on my original Name Check only request, although I did include my married name), I'm concerned it won't arrive in time, I was planning to bring the receipt issued by the police station in case it doesn't, do you think this will be a problem if I don't have it in time?

Quick question about the activation trip,

I'll be flying to New York, but the POE will probably be San Francisco (trying to avoid LAX as don't want to miss the connecting flight).

What should i aim to get done on this trip apart from opening bank account? Would getting a driver's licence be too difficult in NY? Thinking of spending 10 days there.

I'll be moving 11 months after activation. Am i allowed to enter the US after activation but before the official move over? Or would that raise questions?

Thanks guys!

Hi all!

Can I please just confirm with everyone on what I bring based on the checklist?

Required for everyone:
  • Passport
  • Photo
  • DS-260 Confirmation
  • Medical Exam report
  • Express post envelope
  • Australian Federal Police certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Education certificate or employment records/O*Net qualification
  • US Address for greencard to be mailed
Only required if have a history/specific reason/record:
  • Name change certificate
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Unobtainable Birth certificate
  • Divorce/Death certificate
  • Marriage certificate / Translation
  • Court Documents
  • Military record
I know it may seem obvious but I guess the point I want to clarify is that I don't need to obtain documents to say I have had no name changes for example.

Thanks!

Looks good to me. Just make sure you have self-addressed the Express Envelope and have taken the Tracking Sticker off.

@Wingpin with regards to the AMEX credit history transfer, you contact AMEX in the US and log a new application as an existing foreign customer and they'll give you a US card based on your Australian credit history. The only downside with this approach relative to obtaining one in advance depending on circumstances is that this cannot be completed until you have your SSN which may be several weeks before that arrives.

You normally have three SSN 5-7 days after arrival of everything goes well. But it's true banks won't activate an account until they see a SS card.

You normally have three SSN 5-7 days after arrival of everything goes well. But it's true banks won't activate an account until they see a SS card.
We were able to open out accounts without an SSN. This was at Bank of America.

Chase didn't require an SSN either, though they did want a proof of address. There seem to be no standard requirements across all banks in terms of exactly what each needs to open an account.