• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

kcc just told me that unlocking and sending again kicks back the ds-260 to the new submission date. so i conclude that technically any change (no matter how small) delays the interview by at least the amount of time it takes kcc to process all the forms ahead of the new (late) submission date. hence final conclusion -- unlocking and resending ds-260 (even if resent immediately) does delay the interview. don't understand why some say otherwise. not complaining, just putting a fact out there.

It isn't a fact at all. It's incorrect.

http://britsimonsays.com/does-unlocking-cause-delays/

Hi guys, firstly, thanks for all the super helpful info across the board. I'm an OC "winner" in the 500's and I kind of jumped the gun with my application BEFORE I came across this forum. I have a couple of questions that are keeping me awake at night (not really, but I'd love to have them answered anyway)

1. I have already received my AFP check (I didn't think about the part where I might be waiting awhile and it has an expiration date), however, I applied for the Purpose of Check 35 (for supply to country other than Australia). This only contained my unspent offences. Reading this forum, it seems I should have applied for 33. Do I need to shell out for another check so my letter contains both unspent and spent offences?
2. I booked a short trip to the US AFTER submitting my application, so my passport will contain a stamp to the US for dates that aren't listed in my application whenever I get an interview (IF I get one). Is it necessary to unlock my application in the meantime? Do you think the unlisted trip will cause issues at the interview?
3. The dual-tax thing. I'm trying to research more info on this, but a lot of people have warned me that it's going to be a nightmare to pay tax on any money I earn in AU. I'm a little confused by this, and struggling to find clear info online. Is anyone familiar with this and able to explain it to me?
4. I have a note from the doctor that I have recently received a tetanus/whooping cough booster. What other injections will I need? I'm not sure if my old GP is able to provide me with details of my past immunisations. Will they do a blood check at the medical appointment, or just give me the required shots? (I am DREADING this part)

Thanks all, sorry for the numerous stupid questions!

1. Some OCers have gotten away with the Check 35, but it is the Check 33 that they want because it includes spent and unspent offences. If it were me, I'd get the right check because you have the time now, but it's up to you.

2. I'll leave that question to @Britsimon. He's smarter than me.

3. Honestly, if you have income from both countries, I'd get your first US tax return done by an accountant. We did ours for the first time with both income issues and capital gains tax in play. In the end, we paid nothing to the US. There is a tax treaty between the two countries that limits tax you would pay. It's not a nightmare, but I'd get an expert in for at least the first year.

4. For injections, look at this link: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/vaccinations.html

Hi guys, firstly, thanks for all the super helpful info across the board. I'm an OC "winner" in the 500's and I kind of jumped the gun with my application BEFORE I came across this forum. I have a couple of questions that are keeping me awake at night (not really, but I'd love to have them answered anyway)

1. I have already received my AFP check (I didn't think about the part where I might be waiting awhile and it has an expiration date), however, I applied for the Purpose of Check 35 (for supply to country other than Australia). This only contained my unspent offences. Reading this forum, it seems I should have applied for 33. Do I need to shell out for another check so my letter contains both unspent and spent offences?
2. I booked a short trip to the US AFTER submitting my application, so my passport will contain a stamp to the US for dates that aren't listed in my application whenever I get an interview (IF I get one). Is it necessary to unlock my application in the meantime? Do you think the unlisted trip will cause issues at the interview?
3. The dual-tax thing. I'm trying to research more info on this, but a lot of people have warned me that it's going to be a nightmare to pay tax on any money I earn in AU. I'm a little confused by this, and struggling to find clear info online. Is anyone familiar with this and able to explain it to me?
4. I have a note from the doctor that I have recently received a tetanus/whooping cough booster. What other injections will I need? I'm not sure if my old GP is able to provide me with details of my past immunisations. Will they do a blood check at the medical appointment, or just give me the required shots? (I am DREADING this part)

Thanks all, sorry for the numerous stupid questions!

LOL Emily!

2. I don't think it would cause issues - but if you have time to update the DS260 to make it more accurate - why not do that. An update like that won't cause delays...

3. The issue is you have to report worldwide income in the USA. The tax you have paid is offset against tax liability in the USA - so you would not normally pay tax unless there is a type of income that is not taxed in the foreign country but would be taxed in the USA. I had that situation with UK ISA's which is a tax free savings mechanism. One could save $10/15k per year and pay no tax on the gain. That tax incentive would not translate to the USA though - so they would potentially have taxed that - and for that reason I simplified the position by closing my ISA accounts. Pension accounts were recognized - so I left those untouched. As Emily said, if we are talking a lot of income you might want to have a tax accountant - at least for the first couple of years. The other aspect is rental income on property. I kept our main house in the UK and rent it out. I declare that as income in the USA. However, I offset expenses so the income is quite small.

Hi, I have been reading this forum since the beginning of this year. Britsimmon, I have read your blog, really appreciate it, very helpful. Emily W and some other contributors, thank you for your valuable information. Now, my husband is a DV winner, I am not Australian, but will be one soon. When we filled our DS260, I put my citizenship as my current one (not Australian yet), so my questions are:
1. Should I unlock my ds260 in order to change my citizenship ? I will receive the citizenship next month.
2. Since it is my husband who is the primary applicant, should I translate my high school certificate? I have my bachelor and master degree certificate in English (I did my master in Australia)
Thank you all for your help.

1. Don't change it until you get your citizenship.

2. You are the derivative so your education qualifications aren't relevant. I took mine with me just in case (I was also the derivative, like you) and they didn't even ask for it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the translation.

Yay that is really cool, remember to post asap after your interviews and tell us every minute detail!

Hi all hope u r doing well ?
am just wondering why i could be selected for DV-2015 but no interview appointment scheduled ,while i was already submitted my DS-260 ??
i know it was already passed but i would like to know the possible reasons.
please tell me :(

Hi all hope u r doing well ?
am just wondering why i could be selected for DV-2015 but no interview appointment scheduled ,while i was already submitted my DS-260 ??
i know it was already passed but i would like to know the possible reasons.
please tell me :(

What was your CN? That is important to know. And when did you submitted DS-260?