• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hello all! This is my first post. DV-2017 selectee from Australia.

I'm in the middle of filling out my 260 form and wondering, in the section where it asks what address you will be staying at when you arrive in the US... How could I possibly know this yet? It's probably more than a year away! I don't have a friend whose couch I can stay on, so should I list a hostel? Will that hurt my chances of getting through the interview round? Also, can I change this address later or would I need to completely re-submit the 260 form?

Halp!

~~ Moved from the AOS 2017 Thread ~~

- Yes, you can list a hotel address for now.
- Yes you can request to unlock the form later and change the address. You can also request to make the change when you go for your interview.

dumb a** award coming right up...

Went to check my DS260 form today and started stressing as it kept saying invalid number...

After 20 minutes panicing/rechecking number thinking someone had hacked my account - turns out I was entering my DV lottery enterance confirmation instead of my actual wining case number

Yes -I am blonde. In my defence I'm an avid MotoGP fan and the race is on tonight so more anxious than normal haha

hmmm to follow it up with an actual question...

I've noticed on my birth certificate they misspelt the city my mum was born in (Gossau, Switzerland - they spelt it with a 'v' - Gossav) (Dad's Aussie)

I've also entered it as that on the DS260 as Gossav. Should I bother having my birth certificate corrected? (Note; it's incorrectly spelt on both copies that I have - long and short version. Despite it being spelt correctly on her citizenship papers).

Is this something I should bother having corrected? I'm not overly concerned just not sure if it would pop up as an issue on any background checks as there's no such place in Switzerland called Gossav

hmmm to follow it up with an actual question...

I've noticed on my birth certificate they misspelt the city my mum was born in (Gossau, Switzerland - they spelt it with a 'v' - Gossav) (Dad's Aussie)

I've also entered it as that on the DS260 as Gossav. Should I bother having my birth certificate corrected? (Note; it's incorrectly spelt on both copies that I have - long and short version. Despite it being spelt correctly on her citizenship papers).

Is this something I should bother having corrected? I'm not overly concerned just not sure if it would pop up as an issue on any background checks as there's no such place in Switzerland called Gossav

I wouldn't worry about it. Put what's written on the document.

my form is already done with what's on the cert and locked, was just being overly picky/curious haha Thanks Matt

Note; it's incorrectly spelt on both copies that I have - long and short version.

@MissM88 You have short and long versions of your Australian birth certificate? I thought they only made one normal style? Mine is an A4 page but it's pretty basic?

The year I was born, they gave parents (or at least mine anyway in the state I was born) a "commemorative" birth certificate. (It looked completely different to all other birth certs born the previous years) So I guess it wasnt really 'short', more that it was "commemorative"

I didnt discover this was a problem until several years ago where they would not accept my birth certificate when applying for a passport. Despite it being original and the one issued as my birth, it wasn't accepted and they said all those given this particular cert on the year I was born, had to have theirs re done/re-ordered at the BDM

The long form version is required for US immigration, as per the instructions for selectees.
I may be wrong but I think she's saying she's aware a long form is needed, just didnt know that Australia issued (if they do?) short form versions

My original question was worded incorrectly, should have said 'commemorative' not short

I may be wrong but I think she's saying she's aware a long form is needed, just didnt know that Australia issued (if they do?) short form versions

My original question was worded incorrectly, should have said 'commemorative' not short

Her comment about it having "pretty basic" info made me wonder. No harm in confirming people know what's required rather than assuming they do for things like DV...as you'll see during the course of the year, there will inevitably be someone caught out on something that everyone else assumes they know.

This is what I was wondering about. When I checked it seems for me there's no option to get such a detailed long form certificate. You have the standard option or a decorative one. The U.S. examples coming up on image search seem much more comprehensive. Mine doesn't state parent's current address, time of birth or anything like that. It looks similar to this specimen below

Attachments

• birth-certificate-sa-01.jpg
    birth-certificate-sa-01.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 18
This is what I was wondering about. When I checked it seems for me there's no option to get such a detailed long form certificate. You have the standard option or a decorative one. The U.S. examples coming up on image search seem much more comprehensive. Mine doesn't state parent's current address, time of birth or anything like that. It looks similar to this specimen below

Ok, take this the right way please, but this here is an example of not seeing the wood for the trees. You're doing an image search for US birth certificates when your first port of call should be to read the DV instructions....

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person's date of birth;
  • Person's place of birth;
  • Names of both parents; and,
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
That's it. No time of birth or horoscope or guardian angel's name required. Read the instructions!!!!!

I did read the instructions and am continuing to do so with great care. Thanks for the clarification. It's just the long and short aspect of it threw me off, as I understood it as needing these key bits of info in this particular format, not that if you have these basic bits of info it's satisfactory.

Aside from this, will anyone be starting up an excel sheet for 2017 selectees and their points of progress, as there was for previous years?

I did read the instructions and am continuing to do so with great care. Thanks for the clarification. It's just the long and short aspect of it threw me off, as I understood it as needing these key bits of info in this particular format, not that if you have these basic bits of info it's satisfactory.

Aside from this, will anyone be starting up an excel sheet for 2017 selectees and their points of progress, as there was for previous years?

@MissM88 is already doing this I believe

And I'll keep the Dropbox up, just as a reference point, even though I'm not updating it anymore.

I am :)

Not sure what the easiest way is to share it with everyone? As at the moment I just copy and paste the list on this thread from time to time

@MissM88 Yay that's great news. Are you able to put it up on Google docs at all? Then everyone will be able to see the latest version easily.