• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

For walk-in biometric, Do people need to make an appointment via InfoPass or They can go there and show the biometrics letter without any appointment?

It's called a 'walk in' for a reason, right? :rolleyes: Means you walk in and try to get the biometric done without, or prior to your scheduled appointment.

Pretty steep increases. Thank you for sharing.
USCIS is taking a page from Obamacare, it seems ;)

I think we should leave politics out of the conversation here. The changes in USCIS filing fee has nothing to do with Obamacare IMO and shouldn't be featured here. It's not unusual for USCIS to do a review of the charged fees and adjust it accordingly. Back in early 2007 and years before, the AOS fee used to be $395, then it got jacked up to $1,010 in July 2007 (and there was no Obamacare in existence then). It went up to $1070 in 2010, and as from Dec 2016, it becomes $1225.

The attached Federal Register actually documents the steps taken and the considerations leading to the DHS price increase:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...zenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule

Hello,

Do the documents provided by the sponsor (the person who is doing the affidavit of support) need to be sealed in an envelope like the medical documents, or can they just be included unsealed with the rest of the applicant's documents? Or does it not matter? Thank you very much!

The affidavit does not need to be sealed.

What happens if I have to move to a different city in the meantime of the AOS application where there is also an FO available. Would the case still belong to the FO where they have started the processing or would everything be transferred to the local belonging to the new address?
Thanks.

If you move to a new address which falls under the jurisdiction of a different FO from where your current address is/was as at the time of filing your AOS petition, you will experience considerable delays. Your case file will get transferred from the initial FO to the new FO with jurisdiction over your new address. It's not a good idea to move/change addresses after submitting the AOS petition.

Hello,

I am engaged to an American but decided to proceed with the DVL instead of a marriage green card as we do not plan to get married until 2018. Will that come up in the interview? Will they question why I am not just doing the marriage option? My fiance is my affidavit of support so that is how I think they will know.

Thanks!!!

Yes they may ask about your fiancé, no question is off the table. You just have to truthfully answer any and all questions you may be asked - there's no rule that says you can't you can't use your DV selection to process your GC in place of a family petition.

I think we should leave politics out of the conversation here. The changes in USCIS filing fee has nothing to do with Obamacare IMO and shouldn't be featured here. It's not unusual for USCIS to do a review of the charged fees and adjust it accordingly. Back in early 2007 and years before, the AOS fee used to be $395, then it got jacked up to $1,010 in July 2007 (and there was no Obamacare in existence then). It went up to $1070 in 2010, and as from Dec 2016, it becomes $1225.

The attached Federal Register actually documents the steps taken and the considerations leading to the DHS price increase:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...zenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule

And (was it the same year as the aos fee went up in 2010 or later?) there was a big downward adjustment in the DV fees, from around $770 iirc to the current $330.

If you move to a new address which falls under the jurisdiction of a different FO from where your current address is/was as at the time of filing your AOS petition, you will experience considerable delays. Your case file will get transferred from the initial FO to the new FO with jurisdiction over your new address. It's not a good idea to move/change addresses after submitting the AOS petition.

I may be in this boat - would be moving from Baltimore to New York (most likely). Can you point me to any specific case experiences? Appreciate your response.

I have a small question. My visa number became current in October, but I have to go out of the country in mid December and return in mid Jan. So i'm hoping to send the AOS package right when I return to USA in Jan. do you see any problem in that ? Will that be enough time for the application to be processed?

I have a small question. My visa number became current in October, but I have to go out of the country in mid December and return in mid Jan. So i'm hoping to send the AOS package right when I return to USA in Jan. do you see any problem in that ? Will that be enough time for the application to be processed?

What's your current status?

I'm an F1 student

If you submit your petition in January, you definitely have more than enough time to complete the process, assuming you don't get stuck on background process.

However because you have a none dual intent visa, filing as soon as you return may cause the IO to determine you entered the US with a concealed immigrant intent which may lead to a denial.

It's called a 'walk in' for a reason, right? :rolleyes: Means you walk in and try to get the biometric done without, or prior to your scheduled appointment.
Yes, I know the meaning of walk-in. But As I know, no one can go inside of USCIS without appointment. by the way, thank you for the answer.

Yes, I know the meaning of walk-in. But As I know, no one can go inside of USCIS without appointment. by the way, thank you for the answer.

Yes typically one can't walk into most FOs without an appointment. However that's not the case with the ASC where the bio often takes place, hence the possibility of a walk in.

Hi,
I have received my Receipt Number with receive date - 10/05/2016 for my Priority month - November application. My H1b transfer was pending and it got denied today. Also my I-94/H1b with my previous employer expired in September 2016.
These are my queries -
1) My stay until we receive the I-485, I-765,I-131 is adjudicated is legal right?
2) Would this H1B denial, because I do not have a valid visa /status right now, affect in any way my AOS application?
3) Is it an option to go back to my home country and start the consular process or wait until AOS decision comes?
4) if my AOS gets denied for any reason, can I go back to my home country and apply consular?
5) I am also eligible to apply for my concurrent filing of I-140 & 485, should I even start that process, or just wait for my DV AOS application decision? I know that we can have multiple applications for permanent status concurrently (DV & Employer Sponsored)
6)Should I even think about options about changing my status to back F1 to maintain my status until my I-485 is adjudicated?

I know I might seem a little weird with all these options, I am just trying to find all my options available.

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi,
I have received my Receipt Number with receive date - 10/05/2016 for my Priority month - November application. My H1b transfer was pending and it got denied today. Also my I-94/H1b with my previous employer expired in September 2016.
These are my queries -
1) My stay until we receive the I-485, I-765,I-131 is adjudicated is legal right?
2) Would this H1B denial, because I do not have a valid visa /status right now, affect in any way my AOS application?
3) Is it an option to go back to my home country and start the consular process or wait until AOS decision comes?
4) if my AOS gets denied for any reason, can I go back to my home country and apply consular?
5) I am also eligible to apply for my concurrent filing of I-140 & 485, should I even start that process, or just wait for my DV AOS application decision? I know that we can have multiple applications for permanent status concurrently (DV & Employer Sponsored)
6)Should I even think about options about changing my status to back F1 to maintain my status until my I-485 is adjudicated?

I know I might seem a little weird with all these options, I am just trying to find all my options available.

1. Assuming the NOA for the DV based AOS petition was issued before the H1B transfer got denied, then yes you're still in legal status.

2. It shouldn't.

3. You will need to formally withdraw the current petition from USCIS before it gets adjudicated. However I've never heard of anyone withdraw a DV based AOS petition at this stage and changed to CP.

4. No, that's the end of the process. You can't reapply via CP, you only have one shot.

5. Speak with a competent immigration attorney.

6. Same as 5 above.

Hi,
These are my queries -

With the various USCIS relevant events, i.e original H1-B employment termination, H1B transfer application with subsequent denial etc., you have to be 100% sure and able to document, if necessary, that your legal status has been uninterrupted and intact, at minimum until your DV NOA Receipt Date. If it were my case, I would have it reviewed and confirmed by an experienced immigration attorney, who will also be able to provide insight in your questions 5 and 6. As far as DV processing is concerned, your pending DV AoS application in reality will be the only chance you got, best to make sure there is no foreseeable problem with it. Good luck!

With the various USCIS relevant events, i.e original H1-B employment termination, H1B transfer application with subsequent denial etc., you have to be 100% sure and able to document, if necessary, that your legal status has been uninterrupted and intact, at minimum until your DV NOA Receipt Date. If it were my case, I would have it reviewed and confirmed by an experienced immigration attorney, who will also be able to provide insight in your questions 5 and 6. As far as DV processing is concerned, your pending DV AoS application in reality will be the only chance you got, best to make sure there is no foreseeable problem with it. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I have received the denial notice it says if the "I94 expiry has passed, you will be subject to unlawful stay in the U.S and the unlawful stay start hereafter which means the unlawful presence starts from the day of denial right? Which means the NOA receipt date and AOS was filed correctly and there shouldn't be a problem, right?
Yes, I will be consulting and documenting the period of stay after my i94 expiry with an attorney. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I have received the denial notice it says if the "I94 expiry has passed, you will be subject to unlawful stay in the U.S and the unlawful stay start hereafter which means the unlawful presence starts from the day of denial right? Which means the NOA receipt date and AOS was filed correctly and there shouldn't be a problem, right?
Yes, I will be consulting and documenting the period of stay after my i94 expiry with an attorney. Thanks!
Yes, this is this case. Nevertheless, please keep in mind that the 'Notice of Denial' relates to matters concerning the unsuccessful H1B transfer application and subsequent USCIS relevant events, only. As mentioned above, you have to ensure that your legal status has been uninterrupted and intact throughout, from legal entry until the very least to DV NOA Receipt Date. From the information you provided, there are no reasons to doubt that this is the case, I am simply suggesting to have this critical matter well documented over your full US time span, so that you will find yourself in the position to successfully argue your case if this should ever become necessary as part of your DV related AoS I-485 application. Good luck!

Last edited: