• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi again! I have another question concerning the I-765. When I sent my adjustment of Status papers I did not sent the I-765 together since I am still in the J-1 visa. However my J-1 visa will finish in January 2017 and I am afraid the green card process will not be finished by then. Since I am going to sign a new contract by the end of the year (my current one also ends in January) I was thinking that it may be a good idea to ask for the EAD ( I-765) now even if it maybe take the same time as the Green card (just in case). This AED will cover me until I have the final answer for the green card, right?

Other question, I am now looking to the form I-765 and I have a doubt. When they ask: I am applying for... Should I answer "Permission to accept employment" or Renewal of my permission to accept employment? (since I already have the J-1). Also what should I answer in the question number 11 "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS?" Is my J-1 visa considered a request for employment authorization or not?

Thanks again for your help!

1. Yes, not a bad idea to have the EAD as a back up document.

2. Permission to accept employment.

3. Answer 'No'. You came in on a J visa which already authorized your employment, you did not apply to USCIS for the work authorization.

Well I must say that I feel blessed today because I just found out that my youngest daughter was selected in a second draw CN 2017SA000015XX, however I´m not so confortable at all because she is banned her entry to USA for 5 years because last year when trying to re-enter USA her visa was canceled. I wonder if is worthed the effort to start doing the processing taking into account her situation and because the high CN?
Any advise, Thanks.

Well I must say that I feel blessed today because I just found out that my youngest daughter was selected in a second draw CN 2017SA000015XX, however I´m not so confortable at all because she is banned her entry to USA for 5 years because last year when trying to re-enter USA her visa was canceled. I wonder if is worthed the effort to start doing the processing taking into account her situation and because the high CN?
Any advise, Thanks.

If she is banned from entry for 5 years she can't get a DV visa until the ban is over

Any advise, Thanks.
"... she is banned her entry to USA for 5 years because last year when trying to re-enter USA her visa was canceled". What type of official information/documentation did your youngest daughter receive at the time in terms of any 5-year ban?

1. I don't have a SSN yet (perhaps, that's why the Infopass representative insisted on applying for EAD?!). How do I get SSN, if I were to obtain the GC?

2. If I show an American bank account as some sort of evidence of being able to support myself, do I have to attach a few statements too, in order to prove that I use the account, and that it isn't a mere "ghost" balance?

1. I don't have a SSN yet (perhaps, that's why the Infopass representative insisted on applying for EAD?!). How do I get SSN, if I were to obtain the GC?

2. If I show an American bank account as some sort of evidence of being able to support myself, do I have to attach a few statements too, in order to prove that I use the account, and that it isn't a mere "ghost" balance?

1. Again, applying for for an EAD with the AOS petition is NOT a most! Whoever you met at the INFOPASS wasn't being accurate - and I'm sure they never told you once you use an AOS based EAD card for employment, your current status becomes void and you can't return to it in case of AOS denial. You don't need an EAD card to obtain a SSN as a LPR. Once you get your GC you proceed to the nearest SSA office and apply for a SSN.

2. Depends on when the bank account was opened. I'm not sure if you've taken a look at the AOS process spreadsheet or not, if you haven't I highly recommend you do. The spreadsheet recommends copies of bank statements.

I just found out that I may have violated my F-1 status while I am in the United States. My passport expired on July/2015 and I renewed it on August/2015, which means I stayed in the US for around 20 days with an expired passport. My visa expired on December/2015 but my I-20 is still valid as I Havent finished my degree yet. I was reading the requirements to maintain an F-1 status and one of it is having a valid passport all the time. I didn't know about that before. I was planning to send my AOS package next week but now I am not sure anymore as I may not to eligible to adjust my status .

Mom,
I have received the NOA today, and they sent back the check for my kids' application saying I sent too much money. I do not see their name anywhere listed on neither mine or my spouse's NOA. Was I supposed to fill an I-485 for them too? Minor does not file such, no? They were listed on both mine and my husbands form. Why they sent back the money? I screwed up something here?

Please suggest!

Thank you!!

I just found out that I may have violated my F-1 status while I am in the United States. My passport expired on July/2015 and I renewed it on August/2015, which means I stayed in the US for around 20 days with an expired passport. My visa expired on December/2015 but my I-20 is still valid as I Havent finished my degree yet. I was reading the requirements to maintain an F-1 status and one of it is having a valid passport all the time. I didn't know about that before. I was planning to send my AOS package next week but now I am not sure anymore as I may not to eligible to adjust my status .

Yes you're required to always have a valid passport. The scenario you described above however does not make you ineligible for AOS. So don't worry about it, you can go ahead and file as planned.

Yes you're required to always have a valid passport. The scenario you described above however does not make you ineligible for AOS. So don't worry about it, you can go ahead and file as planned.
Thank you, I was really freaking out. I contacted the international office in my university about this but I haven't heard back from them yet. Do you think I should request an infopass appointment to check my eligibility?

Does this fact has an impact on your SEVIS status?

Mom,
I have received the NOA today, and they sent back the check for my kids' application saying I sent too much money. I do not see their name anywhere listed on neither mine or my spouse's NOA. Was I supposed to fill an I-485 for them too? Minor does not file such, no? They were listed on both mine and my husbands form. Why they sent back the money? I screwed up something here?

Please suggest!

Thank you!!
never mind, I have not added their i-485 to the packet.
So what now?
Do I have to wait until mine is approved before I can apply for theirs or can I apply separately for them now with the higher application fee?

Thank you!

Mom,

Please suggest!

Thank you!!

Another mistake? I hope this and the fact that you guys didn't include form G1145 are the only mistakes you've made.

Any person being claimed as a derivative is required to submit an I-485 and any other applicable forms, plus the correct amount of payment if they're filing AOS. Listing them on you and your spouse's forms does not automatically qualify them for their own GC.

I suggest you closely follow the guidance provided on the AOS spreadsheet, pay attention to the section listing the documents required for children. You'll need to include a copy of your NOA in each kid's package (in addition to your DV selectee notification letter).

Thank you, I was really freaking out. I contacted the international office in my university about this but I haven't heard back from them yet. Do you think I should request an infopass appointment to check my eligibility?

Like I said, it doesn't make you out of status. But feel free to contact USCIS if it makes you feel better.

never mind, I have not added their i-485 to the packet.
So what now?
Do I have to wait until mine is approved before I can apply for theirs or can I apply separately for them now with the higher application fee?

Thank you!

What do you mean by higher application fee? Why would their fee be higher than yours?

Check my previous response to you for guidance on what to do.

Does this fact has an impact on your SEVIS status?
I am not really sure. How can I know if it impacted my SEVIS status? .
I have never thought that this might be a problem before, as the international student office at my university never told me about it. My country doesn't have a consultant in the states so I had to wait for my mom to renew it for me, that's why I stayed for almost a month with an expired passport. What also confused me is that my driver license doesn't expire until next year and they never said anything about the expiration date on my passport.

What do you mean by higher application fee? Why would their fee be higher than yours?

Check my previous response to you for guidance on what to do.
I thought since now I will file their paperwork separately, I have to add the $9XX instead of the $6XX. Or not?
Do I also have to acquire originals of their medical records? Bc I sent all of those with the 1st application.

Thank you so much!

I thought since now I will file their paperwork separately, I have to add the $9XX instead of the $6XX. Or not?
Do I also have to acquire originals of their medical records? Bc I sent all of those with the 1st application.

Thank you so much!

They are still technically speaking, filing with you, so the $635/per child under 14 should still be applicable. It has to be a complete package, medical records should be included. Speak to the civil surgeon you did your medical with, they should be able to fill out the medical forms again without having to redo the medical exam.