• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Really sad, and especially for people with strong ties to the US who need a green card more than someone who never set foot on american soil. You should ideally have priority over the rest. .

This is apart from the discussion above - I find this a strange assessment. There are DV winners from countries for whom moving to the US could quite literally be the difference between life or death. Why should someone get priority just because they already live a safe, comfortable life?

I`ve just received notifications that New Cards is Being Produced for I-765. I do not really understand what is the point producing that card when they are going to deny the I-485. Could you please advise?

This is apart from the discussion above - I find this a strange assessment. There are DV winners from countries for whom moving to the US could quite literally be the difference between life or death. Why should someone get priority just because they already live a safe, comfortable life?

Ideally,....for Americans. It would be much easier for a foreign student or a temporary worker on H1 visa,....to succeed in the US than someone else.
Also I don't agree with you,....the most desperate people (refugees and the poorest of the poor in Africa and Asia ) are not betting on DV lottery.

Anyway,...I am not trying to say they should discriminate,...I just think it's more traumatising for someone who's already working and living there,...than for someone else who would go on with his life as if nothing happened if there is no luck. But I see what you mean.

Last edited:
I`ve just received notifications that New Cards is Being Produced for I-765. I do not really understand what is the point producing that card when they are going to deny the I-485. Could you please advise?

That is because the I-765/I-131 approval process is distinctly different from the I-485 process. The NBC is responsible for approving the I-765/I-131 and they do not need to check the stage at which the I-485 is while the FO is responsible for the I-485. Yes the EAD isn't of any use to you at this stage, but the NBC isn't aware of that.

That is because the I-765/I-131 approval process is distinctly different from the I-485 process. The NBC is responsible for approving the I-765/I-131 and they do not need to check the stage at which the I-485 is while the FO is responsible for the I-485. Yes the EAD isn't of any use to you at this stage, but the NBC isn't aware of that.
No I`m falling back to my L status right? Which card should I use? Also A number has changed...

And now my employer is going to file i-140 and i-485. Do you think that the DV process that we went through in any ways help to adjudicate my new i-485? And do you think it worth to do premium processing for i-140?

Can I get SS cards for my kids, just before we receive official denials?

No, I wouldn't recommend you do that. That could be termed as fraudulently obtained - you know the EAD cards will no longer be valid as from Oct 1st.

Plus I don't even believe the SSA office will issue them with the SSN anyways, since they will still have to reach out to the USCIS to confirm if you still have a pending AOS petition.

And now my employer is going to file i-140 and i-485. Do you think that the DV process that we went through in any ways help to adjudicate my new i-485? And do you think it worth to do premium processing for i-140?

Sorry I can't guide you on the I-140 process - I'm limiting my guidance here to the DV process only.

Sorry I can't guide you on the I-140 process - I'm limiting my guidance here to the DV process only.
Thank you very much. But I was just asking if the whole DV background checks or whatever process I went through in any ways could work for another new application?

Thank you very much. But I was just asking if the whole DV background checks or whatever process I went through in any ways could work for another new application?

An entirely new background check will be conducted. No guarantee the old check will speed up the process. I know of AOS petitioners who spent months and months on AP before filing being approved, only for them to spend months/years on AP again when they applied for naturalization.

Ideally,....for Americans. It would be much easier for a foreign student or a temporary worker on H1 visa,....to succeed in the US than someone else.
Also I don't agree with you,....the most desperate people (refugees and the poorest of the poor in Africa and Asia ) are not betting on DV lottery.

Anyway,...I am not trying to say they should discriminate,...I just think it's more traumatising for someone who's already working and living there,...than for someone else who would go on with his life as if nothing happened if there is no luck. But I see what you mean.

Really. We had someone here a couple of years ago from Venezuela, as the country was falling apart and spiralling downwards. She had been selected, but her number was too high and she got cut off from proceeding. That broke my heart. It would truly have been a completely life-changing thing for her. Most people who are living here in the US and doing well can find another way to get green cards, even if it takes longer.

Anyway - there's a reason they prioritize on case numbers, and not on who is or isn't currently living in the US.

Really. We had someone here a couple of years ago from Venezuela, as the country was falling apart and spiralling downwards. She had been selected, but her number was too high and she got cut off from proceeding. That broke my heart. It would truly have been a completely life-changing thing for her. Most people who are living here in the US and doing well can find another way to get green cards, even if it takes longer.

Anyway - there's a reason they prioritize on case numbers, and not on who is or isn't currently living in the US.
What are you talking about I know so many people who received their GC with much higher numbers than mine cause their FO did their process properly , I lost mine because of my IO and FO .

What are you talking about I know so many people who received their GC with much higher numbers than mine cause their FO did their process properly , I lost mine because of my IO and FO .

I didn't say all FOs take the same amount of time. What I said was that they usually take longer than CP, and some of them take months. This has been said time and again on this forum. It is a known disadvantage of AOS, and is highlighted on the spreadsheet - indeed, it's why the spreadsheet allows you to see DV case timelines at your FO and doesn't just give some general timeline - and talked about often in the forum. And it's known that some FOs are slower than others, some batch DV cases etc. But it's never been a problem like this before. Hence, if you go back and see the responses here to people complaining about the slow progress the response has always been - yes AOS is slow, and don't worry there are still X months left in the FY. Because the issue of running out of visas before year end has never been a problem before. This year it has been, and I understand you're frustrated but blaming a FO who may have done exactly the same thing for years in a row and never had a problem of running out of visas before isn't entirely fair, especially if your FO happens to be a generally high case load one that struggles to find space to push DV cases into. It's natural to want to assign blame, but it's not going to change the outcome. I'm sorry for you and hope you find another avenue for a green card.

Ok, maybe that was "insensitive" of me to say some people should ideally be preferred over others,...and sorry if someone was offended (I am myself a candidate from outside the US). Ideally they shouldn't overselect people and everyone should have a guaranteed visa if he meets the requirements. It'd be much more "ethical" to underuse visas, than give false hopes to thousands of people. As to the Venezuelan you talked about,...if it was really a matter of "life or death" for him, he could have moved to the EU, since they don't need a tourist visa for short stays of up to 90 days,....and in some countries, it's relatively easy for them to get refugee status.

Last edited:
As to the Venezuelan you talked about,...if it was really a matter of "life or death" for him, he could have moved to the EU, since they don't need a tourist visa for short stays of up to 90 days,....and in some countries, it's relatively easy for them to get refugee status.

Off topic but you clearly have no idea about what it actually involves to become a refugee.
And the DV instructions etc all say upfront as does the selection notice that selection doesn't guarantee a visa. Everyone moans to high heaven when they underuse visas as you seem to think preferable or somehow "ethical", a word I'm starting to think you use when you actually mean something else. But I'll end this because it's really getting off topic. The main point being the way it works is all described upfront or easily discoverable in advance; not sure why you keep complaining about the whole process after the fact.

In addition to Susie's response above, the fact that you're from Iran also contributed to yours. It actually played a big role IMO.

I know you said you filed in April, I don't really know if you filed early or your CN was current in April. Let's assume you became current in April and you opted to process CP, had interview in April of course, you would have been in prolonged AP which Iranian cases are subjected to, the embassy wouldn't have made any push to get the AP cleared due to the FY coming to an end. Imagine yourself being stuck outside the US all these months, only to still end up without a visa and now possibly unable to return to the US at the end of the process.