• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi mom, Simon, all,

I simply cannot believe I am writing this post right now, that is pretty much a nightmare. My wife (main applicant), and myself (co-applicant), just came back from our interview. The officer lady told us that she has bad news for us. Apparently, last Friday 9/8, USCIS received a letter/memo that told them all DV visas were exhausted and that they no longer have visas available for DV applicants (she even showed us a copy of the letter). That is RIDICULOUSLY frustrating!!!!! My wife's case number was current on May (AS region), and since then all regions were current until the end of this 2017 fiscal year. How is that even possible? I know that they select more people than available visas, but I thought that when your region is current for a certain month they will have visas available for you! Also, what makes it more frustrating is that since we had our bio (5/16), we went to 3-4 infopasses and finally last time (early August) we spoke to a very nice lady at the FO that we gave her an expedite request letter and she also told us she will go now to check our case with the other officer/s. Several days later we received the interview letter (early August). Now, with what happened today we see that if we had our interview date any time prior to today (or Friday) would be just fine.

The lady at the interview today also told us that they will still not close our cases until the end of the month, and they will contact us in case there are available visas, but I don't how this can happen now. Would sending another letter to the FO explaining the frustrating situation help at all?

Please share your thoughts about this situation. What would you recommend us to do at this point?!?

Thank you very much!!
I could not really understand what is going on. Did they relay on the memo they received or on AMSWEB?

I could not really understand what is going on. Did they relay on the memo they received or on AMSWEB?

How could you not understand what is going on?? You have seen multiple reports from various people and regions saying the same thing. We have explained the whole thing to you, the reasons, the AMSWEB lookup, everything. Really - what don't you understand?

How could you not understand what is going on?? You have seen multiple reports from various people and regions saying the same thing. We have explained the whole thing to you, the reasons, the AMSWEB lookup, everything. Really - what don't you understand?
Ok. Look... On the one hand we are talking about that AMSWEB look up determines visa availability and no-one at the FO, or any other places knows anything about visa exhaustion. On the other hand there are some stories about the paper notice with URGENT words on that, others are asserting that they met IO and supervisor at the FO and they let them know that there are "no visa" available. I`ve been at FO, met all the supervisors, manager. They did not know anything on that. This is confusing. That`s what I meant.

Ok. Look... On the one hand we are talking about that AMSWEB look up determines visa availability and no-one at the FO, or any other places knows anything about visa exhaustion. On the other hand there are some stories about the paper notice with URGENT words on that, others are asserting that they met IO and supervisor at the FO and they let them know that there are "no visa" available. I`ve been at FO, met all the supervisors, manager. They did not know anything on that. This is confusing. That`s what I meant.

Let's just wait till your interview so you can see for yourself, because absolutely nothing anyone says here is going to persuade you that there isn't a visa waiting for you. When is your interview again?

Let's just wait till your interview so you can see for yourself, because absolutely nothing anyone says here is going to persuade you that there isn't a visa waiting for you. When is your interview again?
They told me yesterday I`m gonna get the letter next week. BTW do you know anything about the guy who was supposed to have an interview today?

They told me yesterday I`m gonna get the letter next week. BTW do you know anything about the guy who was supposed to have an interview today?

Do you mean the guy you asked when his interview was, in response to a post that clearly said the interview was on Friday?

I've just been reading all the comments on your post about this on your blog - there is certainly no doubt about this when so many people across FOs and various consulates (Algeria.... Kenya..... London.... Yerevan...etc...) are all being told the same thing.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a sponsor but we are wondering after the receive GC how long i will be belong to my sponsor ?

Thanks

I've just been reading all the comments on your post about this on your blog - there is certainly no doubt about this when so many people across FOs and various consulates (Algeria.... Kenya..... London.... Yerevan...etc...) are all being told the same thing.
Where did you see these countries refused visas?

I mean how long he will be my sponsor after the receive GC. I heard like till i get my citizenship ? Is it true ?

Is Yerevan eligible for DV lottery at all?

I mean how long he will be my sponsor after the receive GC. I heard like till i get my citizenship ? Is it true ?

Technically speaking, the affidavit of support you're submitting for AOS does not make the sponsor obligated or responsible for you in anyway. If the sponsor refuses to give you any kind of support after you receive your GC, there's nothing you can do about it, you can't successfully sue the sponsor. You're responsible for making sure you do not become a public charge of your own.

You will not "belong" to the sponsor either.

I'm not sure if you're asking because you think he's obligated to support you (he's not), or because he's worried about being legally obliged to pay back any public support you use. See mom's reply above, in any case,

In the notice we have received it says:

On Friday, September 8, 2017, the US Department of State released a memorandum effective immediately informing that no further authorizations will be made in response to requests for Diversity Visa (DV) cases for the remainder of fiscal year 2017 because the maximum level of numbers which were available for use on a worldwide basis for DV applicants during fiscal year 2017 had been reached.