• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Moreover, The USCIS customer service told me you can expedite FBI Name check over the phone if you have one of the criterias. (without FO decision)

I've found USCIS official document for 2007 which is mentioned that DV applicant can request FBI name check under sunsetting. But I am not sure it is valid yet Because I could not find it in USCIS website. link: please check http://www.aila.org/infonet/uscis-on-criteria-to-expedite-fbi-name-check .

Moreover, The USCIS customer service told me you can expedite FBI Name check over the phone if you have one of the criterias. (without FO decision)

The link you posted basically validated my earlier response to you, I'm not sure why you think you're saying something different.

You cannot send in an expedite request to the FBI. You send in an expedite request to your FO aka USCIS who in turn follow up with the FBI if your FO decides to honor your expedite request.

Your FO definitely has a BIG role to play in the process. You call the USCIS customer service and put in an expedite request, the request gets sent to your FO. The customer service center cannot send an expedite request directly to the FBI on your behalf.

And just so you know, the customer service reps are actually third party contract staff, they are not immigration officers - they are call service agents hired to man the phone and read scripted responses which may not even be accurate at times.

The link you posted basically validated my earlier response to you, I'm not sure why you think you're saying something different.

You cannot send in an expedite request to the FBI. You send in an expedite request to your FO aka USCIS who in turn follow up with the FBI if your FO decides to honor your expedite request.

Your FO definitely has a BIG role to play in the process. You call the USCIS customer service and put in an expedite request, the request gets sent to your FO. The customer service center cannot send an expedite request directly to the FBI on your behalf.

And just so you know, the customer service reps are actually third party contract staff, they are not immigration officers - they are call service agents hired to man the phone and read scripted responses which may not even be accurate at times.
Thank you for your information. I did not know that the customer service cannot send an expedite request directly to the FBI

Hi, Mom, just got this response to my case assistance request from Ombudsman office :

"Good morning,
USCIS has confirmed that you are scheduled to appear at the Atlanta Field Office for your asylum interview on August 24, 2017. The Asylum Officer assigned to your asylum application will work with the Immigration Services Officer assigned to your I-485 application to determine the best way forward regarding both your asylum application and the DV case. As such, it appears that you may be interviewed in connection with both pending applications on August 24."

I desperately need your comment on this.

My timeline
DV selectee EU201700023xxx (with asylum pending)
Current -May
Acceptance of DV case 5/2/17
Cash checked 5/3/17
Bio -5/24/17

Last edited:
Hi, Mom, just got this response to my case assistance request from Ombudsman office :

"Good morning,
USCIS has confirmed that you are scheduled to appear at the Atlanta Field Office for your asylum interview on August 24, 2017. The Asylum Officer assigned to your asylum application will work with the Immigration Services Officer assigned to your I-485 application to determine the best way forward regarding both your asylum application and the DV case. As such, it appears that you may be interviewed in connection with both pending applications on August 24."

I desperately need your comment on this.

My timeline
DV selectee (with asylum pending)
Current -May
Acceptance of DV case 5/2/17
Cash checked 5/3/17
Bio -5/24/17

I'm really not sure precisely what comment/response you wish for me to make since you haven't asked a direct question.

Which case was the ombudsman's inquiry based on? Did you previously contact your congressman's office for assistance in following up with your DV case?

I'm really not sure precisely what comment/response you wish for me to make since you haven't asked a direct question.

Which case was the ombudsman's inquiry based on? Did you previously contact your congressman's office for assistance in following up with your DV case?
My inquiry was DV based on, not asylum. Yes, on Monday I've asked my Congressman also for DV case assistance. but it should take a week or so, and on 12th of August I made an expedite request(no response up today)

My inquiry was DV based on, not asylum. Yes, on Monday I've asked my Congressman also for DV case assistance. but it should take a week or so, and on 12th of August I made an expedite request(no response up today)

Congressional inquiry and expedite requests are steps that should have happened before reaching out to the ombudsman.

Congressional inquiry and expedite requests are steps that should have happened before reaching out to the ombudsman.

"First Try to Resolve the Issue Directly with USCIS.
Requests for Case Assistance may not be filed with the Ombudsman until you have first sought to resolve the matter directly with USCIS by:
o Checking My Case Status Online; and then
o Request assistance from USCIS using their e-Request tool;
o Calling the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283;
o Making an InfoPass appointment at USCIS "

Actually I followed all 'must' requirements

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...s-on-filing-a-case-submission-request_0_0.pdf

~~ Link merged with post ~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi: my interview date is approaching, and I am panicking again… My IL says to bring original BC with translation- a copy of translation which I filed with original package is fine right? Or I should have the new translation signed?

As to the financials: I have to bring I-134(which I filed already with the package back in May). Then the letter says: federal income tax return including copies of W-2 or IRS transcript (if applicable), and pay stubs with letter of employment (if applicable). As I mentioned before, I am not employed (just a trainee), and I receive a stipend to cover my expenses (health care, taxes, housing etc.), so:

1) I filed 1099s with the original package. Can FO examine the amount of my stipend and conclude that it is too much for a stipend? The stipend was lower initially but did not allow me to support myself fully, so it got increased. Will I have to prove that somehow?

2)Letter of employment – the idea of my visa was to train me so I can bring the profit to the US company after returning to my home country. Should I ask my employer for the letter of future employment in the US (I do not have any degree from the US)? Or it can raise questions? OR the I-134 Affidavit is enough to prove that I will not become a public charge?

"First Try to Resolve the Issue Directly with USCIS.
Requests for Case Assistance may not be filed with the Ombudsman until you have first sought to resolve the matter directly with USCIS by:
o Checking My Case Status Online; and then
o Request assistance from USCIS using their e-Request tool;
o Calling the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283;
o Making an InfoPass appointment at USCIS "

Actually I followed all 'must' requirements

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...s-on-filing-a-case-submission-request_0_0.pdf

Nonetheless, the ombudsman is intended to be a last resort - it doesn't list all, but the expectation is for one to have exhausted all other avenues of following up on a petition before reaching out to the ombudsman for assistance.

Hi: my interview date is approaching, and I am panicking again… My IL says to bring original BC with translation- a copy of translation which I filed with original package is fine right? Or I should have the new translation signed?

As to the financials: I have to bring I-134(which I filed already with the package back in May). Then the letter says: federal income tax return including copies of W-2 or IRS transcript (if applicable), and pay stubs with letter of employment (if applicable). As I mentioned before, I am not employed (just a trainee), and I receive a stipend to cover my expenses (health care, taxes, housing etc.), so:

1) I filed 1099s with the original package. Can FO examine the amount of my stipend and conclude that it is too much for a stipend? The stipend was lower initially but did not allow me to support myself fully, so it got increased. Will I have to prove that somehow?

2)Letter of employment – the idea of my visa was to train me so I can bring the profit to the US company after returning to my home country. Should I ask my employer for the letter of future employment in the US (I do not have any degree from the US)? Or it can raise questions? OR the I-134 Affidavit is enough to prove that I will not become a public charge?

1. Copy of the already submitted original is fine.
2. Take what is applicable.
3. You should be okay with an I-134.

Hello: My yesterday`s interview took place in Newark FO. I arrived 20 minutes earlier, waited for about 30 minutes in the waiting room.

I was asked to raise my hand and swear to tell nothing but the truth. The officer asked about my full name, current address, went through almost all the yes/no questions from I-485 form. Then he asked to see all of my passports, original birth certificate, HS and University diplomas (did not ask for translations- it was in the package). He did not ask for evaluations of my diplomas, even though those were listed on IL. He asked to see my original receipt from KCC for the $330 payment. Then he asked who is the person who filled out the I-134 for me (he was confused because my aunt, who filled it out for me, put down that she is my niece instead of aunt :p). Then he asked if I worked, to which I answered that I am a trainee in XX firm. He asked if I had any letter from the company showing that I have been receiving training there- I said that I did not have any letter but I had the 1099 form which shows the company`s name on it, and if it`s not enough I could bring the letter tomorrow if necessary. He looked at my 1099 and replied that the 1099 is enough and there is no need for the letter. After that he said that I seem to be approvable, but he will review the documents once again, and will issue the decision by the end of the day, and if I am approved, I should receive my GC in the mail withing 30 days.

I checked the status of my case couple of hours later- it shows that my card is being produced :D. So, Mom was right again, all stress was unnecessary.
Thank you very much for your guidance and help Sm1smom! And I am sorry for being annoying and overstressed! I also wanted to thank others in this forum for their tips and support.
2014-word-of-the-year-heart-emoji-00.jpg

Case No.: EU23XXX
ASC: Elizabeth, NJ
FO: Newark, NJ
Current: May
AOS Package sent: May 1
Chicago Lockbox: May 2
Delivery:FedEx
Acceptance: May 8
Check cashed: May 10
NOA Letter date: May 8
Bio Letter: May 12 (letter arrived May 18)
Bio Appointment: May 30
Infopass: July 17
IL received: August 13
Interview date: August 24
CPO: August 24

I would like to share this info on timeline but have no idea how to do that?

Hello: My yesterday`s interview took place in Newark FO. I arrived 20 minutes earlier, waited for about 30 minutes in the waiting room.

I was asked to raise my hand and swear to tell nothing but the truth. The officer asked about my full name, current address, went through almost all the yes/no questions from I-485 form. Then he asked to see all of my passports, original birth certificate, HS and University diplomas (did not ask for translations- it was in the package). He did not ask for evaluations of my diplomas, even though those were listed on IL. He asked to see my original receipt from KCC for the $330 payment. Then he asked who is the person who filled out the I-134 for me (he was confused because my aunt, who filled it out for me, put down that she is my niece instead of aunt :p). Then he asked if I worked, to which I answered that I am a trainee in XX firm. He asked if I had any letter from the company showing that I have been receiving training there- I said that I did not have any letter but I had the 1099 form which shows the company`s name on it, and if it`s not enough I could bring the letter tomorrow if necessary. He looked at my 1099 and replied that the 1099 is enough and there is no need for the letter. After that he said that I seem to be approvable, but he will review the documents once again, and will issue the decision by the end of the day, and if I am approved, I should receive my GC in the mail withing 30 days.

I checked the status of my case couple of hours later- it shows that my card is being produced :D. So, Mom was right again, all stress was unnecessary.
Thank you very much for your guidance and help Sm1smom! And I am sorry for being annoying and overstressed! I also wanted to thank others in this forum for their tips and support.
2014-word-of-the-year-heart-emoji-00.jpg

Case No.: EU23XXX
ASC: Elizabeth, NJ
FO: Newark, NJ
Current: May
AOS Package sent: May 1
Chicago Lockbox: May 2
Delivery:FedEx
Acceptance: May 8
Check cashed: May 10
NOA Letter date: May 8
Bio Letter: May 12 (letter arrived May 18)
Bio Appointment: May 30
Infopass: July 17
IL received: August 13
Interview date: August 24
CPO: August 24

I would like to share this info on timeline but have no idea how to do that?

You just made my day! Very happy for you. Congratulations.

You will need to need to send a request directly from the 2017 Timelines spreadsheet in order to update it.

Hello everyone, I too have some information to share. We were approved this week and our cards are on the way!

Thank you all for your help throughout this process especially Sm1smom & Britsimon. The AOS Process and Documents Google Doc was invaluable.

We had our 4th Infopass appointment on Monday and got lucky. We we're assigned the same officer as Infopass number 3 who was very knowledgeable. He remembered us and said that he had submitted an “enquiry” to look into our case but he didn’t hear back. He asked us to give him a couple of minutes as he went away to speak with someone.

He took us up to the floor where they do the interviews and told us to wait for the Section Supervisor. Before leaving us he said that our background check had been completed and they had the package. We met with the supervisor a few hours later who said that the case looked straight forward. He said if we wanted to wait then they could do the interview (we were prepared with all of our docs as per the guidance in this forum).

Approximately 3 hours later the primary applicant was called into the interview alone. Questions were straight forward but there was a lot of back and forth describing employer and role including number of direct reports. Asked for the processing fee receipt. There was a question about the spouses employer.

Spouse was then called into a one on one interview. There were only a couple of questions including details of the employer and job description. The IO said everything looks good and we should receive approval information within three weeks.

About 2 hours later we got the text messages and emails.

Timeline
Case: DV2017 AOS
USCIS office: Los Angles (LOS)
AOS delivered to Chicago lockbox: 04/13/2017
Acceptance Text/email: 05/03/2017
Check cashed: 05/04/2017
NOA letter date: 05/08/2017
Bio Letter received date: 05/19/2017
Bio appointment date: 06/01/2017
Interview letter received: NA
Interview day: 08/21/2017
CPO text/email: 08/21/2017

Good afternoon! So it is all over! The interview took less than 5 min, the officer only went through I-485 yes/no questions, looked at my driver's license and passport. I didn't even need to open my documents folder! Such a huge relieve. Thanks a lot to this forum and a very special thank you to Sm1smom & Britsimon!

Timeline
Case: DV2017 AOS
Current: April
USCIS office: Jacksonville, FL
AOS delivered to Chicago lockbox: 03/31/2017
Acceptance Text/email: 04/18/2017
Check cashed: 04/17/2017
NOA letter date: 04/25/2017
Bio Letter received date: 04/25/2017
Bio appointment date: 05/05/2017
Interview letter received: 08/16/2017
Interview day: 08/25/2017