• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

I am atheist, I have not been in any organization in Iran, I even didn't go to military because I exempted, I have traveled around Europe and Lived in England for 3 years, I also submitted British Police report of mine but My background name check is still pending and I have been waiting for the clearance and the interview letter for 4 months now. I am really anxious and stresfull. I am pretty sure about my background but I am wondering what they are looking for? Also, my name and family name combination is very rare or I can say I am the only one with this combination the family name is Persian which even in Iran is very rare.
I wish there's a way I can talk to FBI directly, I wish If they have any question ask myself
Sometimes it's a name thing, maybe your name is similar to other name they have. Wait for a couple of months and maybe consult a lawyer later. I am really not an expert but I know someone whose background check took a long time and after he hired a lawyer, things moved faster and he got his green card. I really don't know if things moved faster because of the lawyer but it might be worth a try for you. Good luck and hopefully you get approved soon.

My background check was clear when I went to interview also OF told me in 2 days I will receive a letter that shows everything is ok and in 2 weeks I will receive my GC. It was on Dec 30 th. But I've not received it yet. I went to infopas and they said "for some reason or its better to say for no reason they freez it, go and put an online inquiry " which I did. The answer was : we are not able to answer you right now! I am really tired of waiting and checking my status.

My background check was clear when I went to interview also OF told me in 2 days I will receive a letter that shows everything is ok and in 2 weeks I will receive my GC. It was on Dec 30 th. But I've not received it yet. I went to infopas and they said "for some reason or its better to say for no reason they freez it, go and put an online inquiry " which I did. The answer was : we are not able to answer you right now! I am really tired of waiting and checking my status.
Are you from Middle East?

Finally got the case status updated to "Case Was Approved" and subsequently to "New Card Is Being Produced" today after more than two months of interview followed by an RFE. Got relief from this long painstaking journey. This forum has helped me a lot through this process. I am very thankful to this community, particularly @Sm1smom. All the best for rest of the people still struggling through the process.

Hi All

Long timer lurker and first time poster. My case became current in November and I submitted my application in mid October. I had my biometrics exam in late November and received both my EAD and Advance Parole in mid-January.

A couple of quick questions:

- I haven't seen anything on my paperwork (receipts etc.) which confirms which specific field office it is. I assume given that I live in Manhattan that my field office will be the New York field office. Is that right?

- Assuming that is the case, am I reading into the prior timelines (specifically for 2016) correctly in that the New York field office is historically slow in providing interview letters (I'm seeing March letters for applications that were current in October and lodged in late August / early September)? Presumably, if that's the case, I shouldn't be holding my breath for an interview slot before March / April?

Many thanks in advance!

No you're not violating your status, your new status at the end of your OPT automatically becomes adjustment pending which is still a legal status. However that means if your AOS petition gets denied for some reason, then you'll have no F1 status to fall back on.
Thank you for your reply. I did not get hired and my EAD/OPT expires in 4 days. I am afraid that if my AOS gets denied (for whatever reason), that I won't have a F1 status to fall back to. What are my options? Should I quickly get into a program at my university (do I need to get a new F1 or simply a new I-20?)? If I go that route, will it affect my AOS decision (AOS=immigrant intent, I-20/F1=Non-immigrant intent? I am sorry about all these questions. I just want to make sure that I do not fall out of status and have an F1 status to fall back to if something happens to my AOS.

Thank you!

Hi All

Long timer lurker and first time poster. My case became current in November and I submitted my application in mid October. I had my biometrics exam in late November and received both my EAD and Advance Parole in mid-January.

A couple of quick questions:

- I haven't seen anything on my paperwork (receipts etc.) which confirms which specific field office it is. I assume given that I live in Manhattan that my field office will be the New York field office. Is that right?

- Assuming that is the case, am I reading into the prior timelines (specifically for 2016) correctly in that the New York field office is historically slow in providing interview letters (I'm seeing March letters for applications that were current in October and lodged in late August / early September)? Presumably, if that's the case, I shouldn't be holding my breath for an interview slot before March / April?

Many thanks in advance!

1. Use the following link to search for your FO:
https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

2. Yes NY FO is historically busy, it takes a while to get the IL.

Thank you for your reply. I did not get hired and my EAD/OPT expires in 4 days. I am afraid that if my AOS gets denied (for whatever reason), that I won't have a F1 status to fall back to. What are my options? Should I quickly get into a program at my university (do I need to get a new F1 or simply a new I-20?)? If I go that route, will it affect my AOS decision (AOS=immigrant intent, I-20/F1=Non-immigrant intent? I am sorry about all these questions. I just want to make sure that I do not fall out of status and have an F1 status to fall back to if something happens to my AOS.

Thank you!

I'm sorry to learn you didn't get the job and I'm sorry to say I don't know what your options are.

You're right you will have no fall back status should your AOS petition gets denied. However, I limit the guidance I provide here to straight-forward DV cases. I recommend you speak with a competent immigration attorney.

I'm sorry to learn you didn't get the job and I'm sorry to say I don't know what your options are.

You're right you will have no fall back status should your AOS petition gets denied. However, I limit the guidance I provide here to straight-forward DV cases. I recommend you speak with a competent immigration attorney.
Thank you.

Hello mom,

I sent my DS260 on January 13th 2017 and received the 2NL yesterday, February 22nd, 2017. My question is: At the question " what is your visa number?", I responded " I do not know". Should I unlock my DS 260 and put my visa number? Or should I leave it like until the day of the interview?

Hello mom,

I sent my DS260 on January 13th 2017 and received the 2NL yesterday, February 22nd, 2017. My question is: At the question " what is your visa number?", I responded " I do not know". Should I unlock my DS 260 and put my visa number? Or should I leave it like until the day of the interview?

It really doesn't matter.

Hello mom,

I have a high number of around 1350 (hopefully current in June) and have filled out my DS-260 and opted for AOS (currently working in the US on an E3 visa). I have just got off the phone with a lawyer who said that I should consider not doing AOS because by the time my number becomes current, I may not have enough time for my application to be reviewed and approved. The lawyer said that AOS can take up to 6 months to review and approve so he's not sure my application will be complete by Sep 30.

Is this something you have seen in previous years? Should I not do AOS?

Hello mom,

I have a high number of around 1350 (hopefully current in June) and have filled out my DS-260 and opted for AOS (currently working in the US on an E3 visa). I have just got off the phone with a lawyer who said that I should consider not doing AOS because by the time my number becomes current, I may not have enough time for my application to be reviewed and approved. The lawyer said that AOS can take up to 6 months to review and approve so he's not sure my application will be complete by Sep 30.

Is this something you have seen in previous years? Should I not do AOS?

As a matter of fact, I know of numerous cases that become current in August or September who successfully completed the AOS process by Sept. 30th. Those cases can be found on some of the past DV AOS Threads in this forum. So the lawyer's response isn't quite right.

By the way, are you aware you could submit your AOS package one or two months ahead of the listed current month? This is something the lawyer doesn't seem to be aware of.

Hello,
I finally got my green card today :). I am so happy and excited, hopefully it's just the start for better life and new beginnings. I would like to thank everyone who helped here especially @Sm1smom and @CountryGirl. If it wasn't for this forum I would have had no idea how to go through this process, I really appreciate all the help. I can stop freaking out now and concentrate on my studies :p. Again thank you all :D.

As a matter of fact, I know of numerous cases that become current in August or September who successfully completed the AOS process by Sept. 30th. Those cases can be found on some of the past DV AOS Threads in this forum. So the lawyer's response isn't quite right.

By the way, are you aware you could submit your AOS package one or two months ahead of the listed current month? This is something the lawyer doesn't seem to be aware of.

Thank you for your reply!

That's good to know. Have you heard of anyone that has submitted their AOS in July (or before) and it taking too long?

I think I get what you mean by submitting my AOS package before the listed current month. Are you referring to when the newsletter updates for the month in advance and when I see that my number will be current (in the future month), I can submit?

Thank you for your reply!

That's good to know. Have you heard of anyone that has submitted their AOS in July (or before) and it taking too long?

I think I get what you mean by submitting my AOS package before the listed current month. Are you referring to when the newsletter updates for the month in advance and when I see that my number will be current (in the future month), I can submit?

Yes, as it is stated on the Early Filling Memorandum, you can send you AOS petition as soon as your number appears on the Official Bulletin for future months.

Hello,
I finally got my green card today :). I am so happy and excited, hopefully it's just the start for better life and new beginnings. I would like to thank everyone who helped here especially @Sm1smom and @CountryGirl. If it wasn't for this forum I would have had no idea how to go through this process, I really appreciate all the help. I can stop freaking out now and concentrate on my studies :p. Again thank you all :D.
Congratulations @mira88 . I wish you all the best for your future. Seeing positive results of others really makes me happy. Wish you a wonderful greeen life ahead.. Hehe