• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

@mom: is that true that if FBI won't give the clearance in time frame of 180 days after Biometric, USCIS would approve the case and issue the GC?

Nope, absolutely not true. There are lots of AOS petitioners currently stuck in AP for one year and above - admittedly those are none DV based. However the same rule applies to everyone. For DV cases, extra effort is made to get those cleared by the end of their applicable FY, but if they're not cleared they will not be approved.

Hi Sm1smom, I sent my AOS package last week with a cashier check of $1225 included (I did not use my personal check) -- do you think it's gonna be a problem for using a cashier check and not a personal check? Thank you!

Hi Sm1smom, I sent my AOS package last week with a cashier check of $1225 included (I did not use my personal check) -- do you think it's gonna be a problem for using a cashier check and not a personal check? Thank you!

Probably not. The instruction says to make payment using check or money order - it didn't specify cashier or personal check, so I'm guessing you should be okay.

Hello Everyone,
my husband and I did the interview two weeks ago. He went through the YES and NO questions, how did we meet, when we got marry, the original birth certificate, we told him it's hard to get he said that's fine, also, asked about our leases and proof of our relations photos, bank account. He also, asked about the state ID we showed him even though, they were expired he said that fine. Transcripts with WES evaluation and Certificates. He asked if my family and my husband family met. then he asked my husband about my parent's full name. The interview lasts about 30 min. He said everything looks ok you will hear from me between 20-60 days, if I didn't you can come back and reach me.

Will update you with the decision.

Hi,

How easy it is to walk in to the biometrics? Anyone got experience to share?

Also, I have some important meetings coming up in March. Is it risky to reschedule the interview? Usually how long will it be delayed?

Thanks

Hi,

How easy it is to walk in to the biometrics? Anyone got experience to share?

Also, I have some important meetings coming up in March. Is it risky to reschedule the interview? Usually how long will it be delayed?

Thanks

1. Did you read @CountryGirl's response to your question when you first asked about bio walk-in?

2. Yes it is risky. A very long time - could be after the FY is over.

While anxiously waiting, today we received our Interview Letter from USCIS. Appointment is on March 30, 2017 :)

DV2017 EU00013xxx
Chicago Lockbox: Dec. 13, 2016
NOA letter: Dec. 27, 2016
BIO letter: Jan. 03, 2017
BIO walk-in: Jan. 11, 2017
IL received: Feb. 19, 2017
Interview Date: Mar. 30, 2017

Hello Mom, my question is if you did not submit some supporting documents in your initial i485 package, is it allowed to submit during infopass? What's the implication?

Hello Mom, my question is if you did not submit some supporting documents in your initial i485 package, is it allowed to submit during infopass? What's the implication?

You cannot submit anything during an INFOPASS, nobody will collect supporting documents at an INFOPASS - they will have to 'chase' your case file all over the place in order to include documents people bring to an INFOPASS if they should allow that.

You may take any missing document to your interview though and give them to the IO if they ask for it.

I am currently studying at NYU for a year and am doing my junior year civil engineering. I am originally from the NYU global campus in Abu Dhabi and the school is a full time American institution in the same way as the NYU NY one. I was fortunate to be selected for the DV2017 lottery and my case number is 2017AF00035XXX. I opted for AOS as I wanted to take advantage of my year long stay here in the US and I received my 2NL email a few months ago. Looking at the recently released VB numbers, I anticipate my status to be current in May this year. I was curious on whether it will be a good idea to send in the AOS package by April this year. Also my F1 visa expires in May this year and I am hoping to get an internship for the summer till August this year before I return back to Abu Dhabi. I am curious on whether this time I have here during my stay here in the US will be enough for the process from filing my AOS case to being issued the Greencard. If not, will getting the EAD work permit to work any type of job serve as a visa to enable my stay here till I have the greencard .I read online that people who are in the process for filing for AOS are eligible to apply for AOS. I am willing to stay here till as long as it takes to get the process completed. For proof of finances, I am on a full scholarship which has a generous travel and stipend as well as tuition and housing and also I have an American faculty member from my school who is willing to help with the 1-134 form to prove I will not be a public charge to the US.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I am currently studying at NYU for a year and am doing my junior year civil engineering. I am originally from the NYU global campus in Abu Dhabi and the school is a full time American institution in the same way as the NYU NY one. I was fortunate to be selected for the DV2017 lottery and my case number is 2017AF00035XXX. I opted for AOS as I wanted to take advantage of my year long stay here in the US and I received my 2NL email a few months ago. Looking at the recently released VB numbers, I anticipate my status to be current in May this year. I was curious on whether it will be a good idea to send in the AOS package by April this year. Also my F1 visa expires in May this year and I am hoping to get an internship for the summer till August this year before I return back to Abu Dhabi. I am curious on whether this time I have here during my stay here in the US will be enough for the process from filing my AOS case to being issued the Greencard. If not, will getting the EAD work permit to work any type of job serve as a visa to enable my stay here till I have the greencard .I read online that people who are in the process for filing for AOS are eligible to apply for AOS. I am willing to stay here till as long as it takes to get the process completed. For proof of finances, I am on a full scholarship which has a generous travel and stipend as well as tuition and housing and also I have an American faculty member from my school who is willing to help with the 1-134 form to prove I will not be a public charge to the US.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Your post is one long paragraph, digging through it to know precisely what your questions are is a bit tough. Try and make it easier on the reader by numbering your questions or using paragraphs if making a long post. I will try and address what I'm able to deduce as follows:

1. Yes, you may take advantage of the early filing memo and mail in your AOS package one or two months ahead of the current month. However, be aware of a slight possibility of the package getting rejected or denied. If the package gets rejected by the Chicago Lockbox, you simply re-file it. If it gets denied by your FO, you may or may not have enough time to get your FO to reconsider the denial.

2. Your F1 visa expiration date is immaterial. What matters is the duration of the status you were admitted. If your AOS package is officially received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your admitted status, you will still be considered to be in a legal status.

3. The AOS based EAD is not what gives you a legal status to stay in the US. It is the document that enables you undertake authorized employment. It's processing takes 3-4months, depending on your FO you may even end up getting the GC before the EAD card.

4. Your scholarship will most likely not be an acceptable means of proving you will not become a legal charge. I strongly recommend you get an I-134.

In conclusion, I also recommend you go through the AOS process document to enable you get a good understanding of what's involved. The link to the spreadsheet can be found on the first post on page one if this Thread.

Hi mom! My parents live in Russia and I am on F1 here in USA, about to send my AOS package. Regarding the affidavit of support: currently I don't work, I am in school. When I applied to school my dad prepared the financial docs that the school needed (proof of income for my support) - they were for the year 2016. Can I use those financial docs for my interview (in case they ask) or should I ask my dad to prepare new I-134? Or is it supposed to be someone living in the US?

Hi mom! My parents live in Russia and I am on F1 here in USA, about to send my AOS package. Regarding the affidavit of support: currently I don't work, I am in school. When I applied to school my dad prepared the financial docs that the school needed (proof of income for my support) - they were for the year 2016. Can I use those financial docs for my interview (in case they ask) or should I ask my dad to prepare new I-134? Or is it supposed to be someone living in the US?

If you'll be required to present an affidavit of support, it must be from a USC or LPR only. The financial support documents your dad prepared for your school will not cut it, nor an I-134 from him be acceptable.

If you'll be required to present an affidavit of support, it must be from a USC or LPR only. The financial support documents your dad prepared for your school will not cut it, nor an I-134 from him be acceptable.
Great! Thanks. That's what I thought based on the questions on the I-134. However, when you say "if I am required" do you mean that I should prepare it for the interview. I have worked here for 4 years: first during my last years of bachelors, plus OPT, and then during first year of Masters. I was laid off last year. Now I am in school and "being supported by dad". Do you think that I need this form? The problem is I don't know anybody who would prepare it for me. I have a diploma, 4 years of work experience, 4 years tax returns, currently don't work because I don't have authorization, but in school. Do you think it is obvious for them that I am not a public charge?

Last edited:
I am atheist, I have not been in any organization in Iran, I even didn't go to military because I exempted, I have traveled around Europe and Lived in England for 3 years, I also submitted British Police report of mine but My background name check is still pending and I have been waiting for the clearance and the interview letter for 4 months now. I am really anxious and stresfull. I am pretty sure about my background but I am wondering what they are looking for? Also, my name and family name combination is very rare or I can say I am the only one with this combination the family name is Persian which even in Iran is very rare.
I wish there's a way I can talk to FBI directly, I wish If they have any question ask myself

I am atheist, I have not been in any organization in Iran, I even didn't go to military because I exempted, I have traveled around Europe and Lived in England for 3 years, I also submitted British Police report of mine but My background name check is still pending and I have been waiting for the clearance and the interview letter for 4 months now. I am really anxious and stresfull. I am pretty sure about my background but I am wondering what they are looking for? Also, my name and family name combination is very rare or I can say I am the only one with this combination the family name is Persian which even in Iran is very rare.
I wish there's a way I can talk to FBI directly, I wish If they have any question ask myself

There are 7 full months before the end of the year. RELAX!

Great! Thanks. That's what I thought based on the questions on the I-134. However, when you say "if I am required" do you mean that I should prepare it for the interview. I have worked here for 4 years: first during my last years of bachelors, plus OPT, and then during first year of Masters. I was laid off last year. Now I am in school and "being supported by dad". Do you think that I need this form? The problem is I don't know anybody who would prepare it for me. I have a diploma, 4 years of work experience, 4 years tax returns, currently don't work because I don't have authorization, but in school. Do you think it is obvious for them that I am not a public charge?

I believe I already responded to you regarding the need for (or none) regarding affidavit of support:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-94#post-2451148

Since you're not currently working and you're on a student visa, my recommendation is to get the affidavit of support if you don't have a substantial amount of personal savings.

Yes I said if required - at the interview. I normally encourage for it to be included with the AOS package itself - some FOs do approve the AOS petition without an interview - having a complete package makes it easier for such FOs to approve.