• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that is not what diversity means in this context. Diversity means they want people from different regions and countries than those that have sent the most immigrants to the U.S. So for DV purposes, they meet this objective with African non-Nigerians for example, given current rates it makes no difference to them whether the person comes from Zim, Namibia, Kenya....

Also to reiterate the point that the draw is random and you enter according to regional chargeability. So on both counts they cannot do it they way you would like. There is a description of how they calculate the quotas ...somewhere. But you can't say that on the basis of diversity they should have it equal numbers per country! Heck, on that basis you could get the entire adult populations of swaziland, Namibia and Lesotho over to the US within a few years :D

And yes $10k is a lot of money for a lot of Africans, that is part of the reason so many less than get selected actually get visas. Some drop out when they realize the expense, others get denied. Nigeria is no longer eligible. When it was, refusal rates at Lagos were about 80% (not all public charge related- also high fraud levels). Kenyans have a host system that seems to get them around the public charge requirement. Johannesburg by contrast almost always asks for financial proof.

There are many threads about what is required whne you are selected, you can also read the official info at the dvselectee website.

The DV selectee website usually has some answers in plain "legal" language that doesn't mean anything to normal people I'd rather read from threads in this forum.
You should see the kind of replies the State Department gives to Qus in their Facebook chats. A person asks: "how much money do I need to overcome the public charge suspicion? " DOS answers "there is no definite $$$amount". To an ordinary person like me, that's not really an answer.
So the threads here are more helpful on that.

Diversity for DV purposes doesn't make common sense, it just obeys certain laws, formulas, etc. It's not about common sense, it's about laws, and very few laws ever make sense to common people.

I disagree. I think that with what, 20 million entries, and some countries only entering a few hundred of those, their approach is very much a common sense one. Again, what you basically want is for people from countries with small population and/or entry level to be virtually guaranteed selection. How is that fair to anyone else?

You didn't get what I said.
I am talking about what's common sense in an individual person's mind when you read SOME of the laws, not all.
I'm not talking about fairness here, and I'm not saying all selectees form one country should be guaranteed to be selected, I'm only saying what you read on the DV selected website and government website is all too "legal" in their language and not easy to understand so no need to get on your high horses.

Last edited:
I was just taking your argument to its logical conclusion. Sorry for disagreeing with you. I'll leave you and lauryn to discuss it among yourselves then.

Very interesting! I looked at the number of those issued with visas vs those selected!
Why is it that the total number of Visas issued is sometimes less than 50K? Do they just stop issuing visas once the year ends?

edited: Susie, I've just seen your posts, thanks for your input, I hope you're not running from me. Just asking how the process works. I'm not going to pretend I understand it. I think I agree that sometimes it's easier to get info from forums where people have actually gone through the process and are more knowledgeable.

I was just taking your argument to its logical conclusion. Sorry for disagreeing with you. I'll leave you and lauryn to discuss it among yourselves then.

@SusieQQQ nobody is chasing you away, this is a free forum where you are free to express your opinion, just don't overreact, as there's always a possibility you may have misunderstood another person's point of view.

Very interesting! I looked at the number of those issued with visas vs those selected!
Why is it that the total number of Visas issued is sometimes less than 50K? Do they just stop issuing visas once the year ends?

edited: Susie, I've just seen your posts, thanks for your input, I hope you're not running from me. Just asking how the process works. I'm not going to pretend I understand it. I think I agree that sometimes it's easier to get info from forums where people have actually gone through the process and are more knowledgeable.
Hi Lauryn my personal opinion,l don't think dwelling on the technicalities of the selection process and any other statistics is really important because at the end of the day with or without the knowledge of it,it won't improve your chances of being selected,it's still going to be a random selection.For now use that energy on believing that you will win the lottery and on everything else that is in your control.Besides if you take your time going through the forum most of your questions would be answered on some of the threads;)

Yes, they stop issuing at fiscal year end, or the full quota, whichever comes first. In some years, notably the 2012 fiasco, that happens before they have issued their total allowed, usually they actually issue somewhere over 50k (technically there is a total of 55k with some set aside for something called nacara which can be reallocated).

@SusieQQQ nobody is chasing you away, this is a free forum where you are free to express your opinion, just don't overreact, as there's always a possibility you may have misunderstood another person's point of view.
I don't recall telling anyone to get off their high horse,

In my opinion the language on the websites is too official and legal, and many times difficult to understand. This forum gives information in easier to understand terms.

Hi Lauryn my personal opinion,l don't think dwelling on the technicalities of the selection process and any other statistics is really important because at the end of the day with or without the knowledge of it,it won't improve your chances of being selected,it's still going to be a random selection.For now use that energy on believing that you will win the lottery and on everything else that is in your control.Besides if you take your time going through the forum most of your questions would be answered on some of the threads ;)

I agree! Positive energy ;) is the way to go!! Personally I think exchanging views about technicalities helps us understand how the lottery works (not to increase our chances, because it's not possible to) but to be able to also explain it to others. I believe knowledge is key and knowledge is never toxic;)

Good Luck to those waiting! I hope this year is the year. I will trawl the website and look for the financial requirements etc. Did someone say 84 days - too close!

True, that's why it's good to kill time by discussing and exchanging views;)

There are some cases where the country answers are different. For instance my entry was as a British person but charging to my wife's country - Spain. So I had to enter my birth country and then in Q6 click the no box and enter Spain.

Sounds like you selected no but entered the same country as your birth country. Whilst that is not strictly correct, it should not be an issue. But anyway - you have to get selected first....

Thank you for the answer, i'm not sure about the selection i made, hopefully is ok. We are both from Romania.

I'm sure i'll be happy if all of us get it this year!!!

75 days to go!!

SUCCES!!!!

Hi guys,

So glad to find this forum. I am from Karnataka, India but born in Kuwait. So will be applying in the Kuwait quota. This is my 3rd time. Hope I am lucky this time. I live US at the moment but stick in the long immigration line and is not helping much. Fingers crossed.

Hey guys,
I'm from Romania and it's my first time applying for the lottery. :)
I used to live in Cali for 1 year and I loved it so much that I decided to give it a whirl and apply for the DV 2016.
I currently live in the cold cold Scandinavia.
Good luck to everyone! Looking forward to getting the results in May!

Hi guys,

I am from Malaysia, currently working and living in Penang island. Been to California two times in my life, and fell in love with it!

DV2016 will be my second time. In fact I got selected in DV2015, but case number is unfortunately too high that I could not put much hope on it.

Wish myself and everyone good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.