• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2016 RESULTS 91,563 winners

I am a DV 2016 Winer. i was born in Gabon and hold a Gabonese citizenship as well as my husband. But since we reside in Uganda,When I was entering the dv in 2014, I mentionned Uganda as country of chargeability, while neither I or my husband are born in Uganda. Upon sending the DS260, on the confirmation page it was mentionned that I am charged under Uganda and will have the interview in Nairobi. I didn't know about the law concerning the country of chargeability until I read on some forums. I would like to know :
1. If this mistake can disqualify me.
2.if there is any way to repare the mistake by sending an explanation letter to the KCC...Is it necessary?
Looking forward to read from you.

As Susie has said, the rules say that these types of errors can be overlooked if the two countries are both within AF region. However, I would personally recommend you consider what you have entered in the DS260. I am hoping you put your place of birth accurately and that all the other information is also accurate. You must not fall into the trap of trying to create documentation to match the mistake.

By the way - I would also suggest you print out the following passage from the 9 FAM "rulebook" that the CO should follow. I believe most COs should understand about chargeability mistakes BUT just in case you meet one that does not know the rule and gives you a problem, you can quote this. By the way this text has just been amended to add the piece about no fraud concerns which goes back to what I posted above in making sure your mistake appears what it is - a simple mistake and not an intended fraud.

9 FAM 42.33 N4.3 Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability (CT:VISA-2326; 09-11-2015) If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error and there are no fraud concerns,, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO. Post may need to obtain additional DV number(s) for the correct country of chargeability from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/

Last edited:
Th
As Susie has said, the rules say that these types of errors can be overlooked if the two countries are both within AF region. However, I would personally recommend you consider what you have entered in the DS260. I am hoping you put your place of birth accurately and that all the other information is also accurate. You must not fall into the trap of trying to create documentation to match the mistake.

By the way - I would also suggest you print out the following passage from the 9 FAM "rulebook" that the CO should follow. I believe most COs should understand about chargeability mistakes BUT just in case you meet one that does not know the rule and gives you a problem, you can quote this. By the way this text has just been amended to add the piece about no fraud concerns which goes back to what I posted above in making sure your mistake appears what it is - a simple mistake and not an intended fraud.

9 FAM 42.33 N4.3 Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability (CT:VISA-2326; 09-11-2015) If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error and there are no fraud concerns,, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO. Post may need to obtain additional DV number(s) for the correct country of chargeability from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/
Thank you very much Simon. I will consider your advice.God richly bless you for your kindness and help.

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 August 9 or 10.

Should I worry? When should I receive the interview date? And when do you think my interview would be?

Thanks!!!!

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 August 9 or 10.

Should I worry? When should I receive the interview date? And when do you think my interview would be?

Thanks!!!!

You should not worry, but you need to be patient. The late submission of your DS260 will have caused a delay - we can't be certain yet of processing times - but it is likely that your late submission will mean you have a January or February interview.

You should not worry, but you need to be patient. The late submission of your DS260 will have caused a delay - we can't be certain yet of processing times - but it is likely that your late submission will mean you have a January or February interview.

Even if I am not located in SA? My interview is in Canada.

Thank you.

I explained its forecasts on the number of visas in 2016 with AOS:
Europe will get ~ 13840 visas
Africa ~ 20900
Asia ~ 8300
Oceania ~ 600
SA ~ 1570
World ~ 45210

Unlucky Europe, very... So little visas was in 2007, 2012

Africa ~ 20900
Asia ~ 8300
Oceania ~ 600
SA ~ 1570
World ~ 45210

Difficult to understand how they have screwed up so badly this year... Always felt it to be a much better approach to "over-select", even considering that some cases loose out at the end. This is a lot worse. Just hope KCC won't be able to hide behind mixing up between the regions...

Difficult to understand how they have screwed up so badly this year... Always felt it to be a much better approach to "over-select", even considering that some cases loose out at the end. This is a lot worse. Just hope KCC won't be able to hide behind mixing up between the regions...

But all the over-selected people screamed blue murder when it happened. Face it, KCC is never going to please everyone.
(Although I also think over selection is clearly the better route to get the visas issued.)

But all the over-selected people screamed blue murder when it happened. Face it, KCC is never going to please everyone.
(Although I also think over selection is clearly the better route to get the visas issued.)

I agree, over selection is better than wasted visas - but brutal for those that wonder what happened...

Africa ~ 20900
Asia ~ 8300
Oceania ~ 600
SA ~ 1570
World ~ 45210

Hi Sloner.... if this will be the quotas then some of us in AF region with high CN are already cooked.. hopefully and prayerfully they'll donate the unused visas from EU and OC regions to other visa hungry regions.

Hi Sloner.... if this will be the quotas then some of us in AF region with high CN are already cooked.. hopefully and prayerfully they'll donate the unused visas from EU and OC regions to other visa hungry regions.
Hi ! Of course.