• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

My husband is OCxxxx9xx... do you think it will actually go current or is the number too high because the total number selected for the region is quite low in DV2016?

I'm pretty sure OC will go current in DV2016 (assuming they don't add any more applicants).

Does anybody know what (hopefully inexpensive!) options there for converting AUD to USD while still living in Aussie? And if I also don't have a US bank account? I'm beginning to consider converting some of my money because watching the dollar drop every day is just agonizing and I have very little confidence it will go back up any time soon. I don't know if I will actually convert anything now (especially because I still haven't had an interview yet), but it would be nice to know if there are any options to do so...

I've managed to answer my own question in case there's anyone else out there driving themselves bonkers by looking at the exchange rate and possibly looking to jump the gun and exchange already !

I realise now I can open a foreign currency account with Commonwealth (and presumably the other banks do the same) and maybe do a currency conversion through OzForex (looks like the much cheaper option than going via the bank) from my AUD account to the USD account. It's tempting...

Last edited:
I've managed to answer my own question in case there's anyone else out there driving themselves bonkers by looking at the exchange rate and possibly looking to jump the gun and exchange already !

I realise now I can open a foreign currency account with Commonwealth (and presumably the other banks do the same) and maybe do a currency conversion through OzForex (looks like the much cheaper option than going via the bank) from my AUD account to the USD account. It's tempting...

The Forex brokers can also sit on your money for you - but that is not something you would want to do for a long time.

http://britsimonsays.com/move-money-usa/

Wow, 275 for the first VB for September! That's a superb number,

So that means that the following OCers have gone current and will be interviewed in October

polyvalent - xx (AUS)
GdayUSA - xx (AUS)
Cogger - 1xx (AUS)
Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
gemka - 1xx (AUS)

And maybe, depending on their numbers,

Alex McDermott - 2xx
DV2016LOST - 2xx (AUS)

I completed my form early June and haven't seen anything yet so it might be because I was late in completion?

I completed my form early June and haven't seen anything yet so it might be because I was late in completion?
Some people who have submitted the form by late May (27-28) have reported to have received no 2nl so it's obvious June forms are not proccessed yet.

Havent received my email yet but i'm expecting it any day now! very exciting.

Also I have questions about money. Obviously I need to bring bank records showing that I have enough money to sustain myself in the US. Seems like a strange question but what do you think is the minimum I need in my account for it to be okay??

Thanks

To my knowledge, there hasn't been an OCer in DV2015 who was asked for their bank account balances (myself included). But the benchmark seems to be $10,000USD. Combine that with house, car, superannuation and most OCers don't just meet the minimal public charge amounts, but triple jump over them. I suspect that's why none of us have been asked for that information.

FYI, if you submitted on 1 June 2015, you might be borderline for an October interview.

Havent received my email yet but i'm expecting it any day now! very exciting.

Also I have questions about money. Obviously I need to bring bank records showing that I have enough money to sustain myself in the US. Seems like a strange question but what do you think is the minimum I need in my account for it to be okay??

Thanks

If you don't have your 2nl by now you will probably be expecting it in a later month. That depends on your ds260 submission date.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been an OCer in DV2015 who was asked for their bank account balances (myself included). But the benchmark seems to be $10,000USD. Combine that with house, car, superannuation and most OCers don't just meet the minimal public charge amounts, but triple jump over them. I suspect that's why none of us have been asked for that information.

FYI, if you submitted on 1 June 2015, you might be borderline for an October interview.

The Auckland Consulate (NZ) requires you submit to them prior to the interview a bank statement, in addition to a CV - you are asked how much you intend to take with you to the US, and the amount does seem to be that $10k figure, per person. My bank balance definately didn't show that, but the wife and I did submit our combined KiwiSavers, which is around $25k. I think it's all taken on its merits though. It's better to be a public charge in Australia or NZ compared to the U.S

Well I'll adjust my comment to say that no-one interviewing at the Sydney consulate, to my knowledge, has been asked for a bank statement.

Well I'll adjust my comment to say that no-one i
My first cousin, who has zero savings was never asked for any proof of savings or bank balances here in Auckland, young girl in her 20's. All she was asked at the interview was to show her education details and where she'd like to live, nothing else was asked, this was in 2012 dv. Perhaps it depends on the interviewer. She took $3000 NZ, with her.

Are we expecting another inflated number for the next VB? I'm anticipating 375 or 400 (hopefully the latter! :eek:)