• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Exciting! So how long does it generally take for them to notify interviewees? Or is this a 'how long is a piece of string?' scenario?

The opening number was definitely slightly higher than I was expecting, but hey, I ain't complaining! :D Congrats to all those gone current - since you're the first batch of DV2016 interviews we'll be looking to you to share your interview experiences in October!

The number's a little higher than I thought it would be, though it's not a big surprise in light of last year.

It opens up a pace of 75 per month until the region goes current in September. Not inconceivable.

The number's a little higher than I thought it would be, though it's not a big surprise in light of last year.

It opens up a pace of 75 per month until the region goes current in September. Not inconceivable.

Agreed - although it is likely to be current in August....

Yeah, I also reckon OC will go current earlier than September. I'm interested also to see if the OC region will actually fill the quota this year...

Hi do you know if we will receive conformation from the KCC that the application has been processed and forwarded to the consulate for the interview?

Should you assume that all is ok or is it worth checking with the KCC if it has been processed?

Thank you.

Hi do you know if we will receive conformation from the KCC that the application has been processed and forwarded to the consulate for the interview?

Should you assume that all is ok or is it worth checking with the KCC if it has been processed?

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure they'll let you know in an email. Won't hurt to call if it puts your mind at rest.

Thanks, Emily! It's the long road for me. On the plus side, I already have a bank account, tax number, property, contacts and a bunch of friends over there, so finally getting there will be like walking home from third. Though I'm afraid that there will be a big fat hole where the 'I'm waiting for me number to come' used to be. I might have to fill it with something like productivity. Yuck!

Simon: Won't that depend on how high the CNs go? Current in August would certainly be better. I suppose we'll find out when CEAC start making the data available...

On the plus side, I already have a bank account, tax number, property, contacts and a bunch of friends over there, so finally getting there will be like walking home from third.

I find this statement terrifying. Are all of these things we should set up prior to interview? (Minus the friends...)

In response to what does my husband do, he's in the field of user experience/design. I'll definitely check out that O*Net site.

Thank you.

You will only get an email notification when your CN becomes current and KCC is done processing your DS-260 form. The purpose of the email will be to let you know your interview has been scheduled.

Of course there have been reports of people who claimed to have not received the 2NL, so you will need to check the ESC site for your 2NL on your own once your CN becomes current.

Last edited:
I find this statement terrifying. Are all of these things we should set up prior to interview? (Minus the friends...)

In response to what does my husband do, he's in the field of user experience/design. I'll definitely check out that O*Net site.

Nope. Once you get your GC, and hence SSN, setting up banks accounts, utilities and so on will be easy. Property will be harder. If you rent, many landlords are going to want a US credit history or a lot of money up front, especially in NYC and SF. (Heck, I'm a landlord in rusty old Chicago and I want credit histories.) If you buy, unless you pay cash, your bank will want a credit record to give you a loan.

To expedite that credit record, a good way is to get a credit card and start using it, keeping it under 1/3 of its limit each month. Within a few months you should have something pretty solid. Getting that credit card is trickier. The best way I've heard is to get an amex here in Australia. They'll let you transfer it to the US if you've been a customer for six months, IIRC.

So to answer your question: don't sweat anything except an Aussie amex card, which will lubricate the credit score process later on.

I'm pretty sure they'll let you know in an email. Won't hurt to call if it puts your mind at rest.

Thanks, Emily! It's the long road for me. On the plus side, I already have a bank account, tax number, property, contacts and a bunch of friends over there, so finally getting there will be like walking home from third. Though I'm afraid that there will be a big fat hole where the 'I'm waiting for me number to come' used to be. I might have to fill it with something like productivity. Yuck!

Simon: Won't that depend on how high the CNs go? Current in August would certainly be better. I suppose we'll find out when CEAC start making the data available...

I'm pretty sure the CNs max at about 1000. Here is why.

In Dv2015 OC had 3500 selectees. That is winners and family members and from the CEAC data we know the max case number was 2306 and there were 2111 individual case numbers. The difference between 2306 and 2111 (195 cases) is “holes”. Those are cases that got disqualified before they were even notified – so that is a hole rate of 8.5%

Now the 3500 selectees were on the 2111 cases – so there is a derivative rate for the region of 1.66 people per case.

DV2016 has 1500 selectees. At the same derivative rate as DV2015 that would mean 903 cases, but if we apply the same fraud hole rate that 903 represents 91.5% of the original – so we should theoretically see a max case number of 986.

We haven't heard any case numbers above 1000 - and I think this is why....

Current is in the bag for OC in 2016, and with the low volume they would have no problem in announcing current in August.

Nope. Once you get your GC, and hence SSN, setting up banks accounts, utilities and so on will be easy. Property will be harder. If you rent, many landlords are going to want a US credit history or a lot of money up front, especially in NYC and SF. (Heck, I'm a landlord in rusty old Chicago and I want credit histories.) If you buy, unless you pay cash, your bank will want a credit record to give you a loan.

To expedite that credit record, a good way is to get a credit card and start using it, keeping it under 1/3 of its limit each month. Within a few months you should have something pretty solid. Getting that credit card is trickier. The best way I've heard is to get an amex here in Australia. They'll let you transfer it to the US if you've been a customer for six months, IIRC.

So to answer your question: don't sweat anything except an Aussie amex card, which will lubricate the credit score process later on.

Great advice, thank you. We'll get on to that straight away. Can it be an AMEX backed by an Australian bank, i.e. http://www.nab.com.au/personal/credit-cards/velocity-credit-cards/nab-velocity-rewards-premium-card and still qualify for a 'transfer'. Or would you need to go grab one from AMEX direct? i.e. https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-edge-credit-card/

Secondly, does anyone go back into their D260 forms to ensure all info is up to date from the time they first applied? (We did ours over 4 months ago).. jobs are current but overseas trips are not. I assume now is a good time to ensure all information is matching for my husband (the selected applicant) and I?

Great advice, thank you. We'll get on to that straight away. Can it be an AMEX backed by an Australian bank, i.e. http://www.nab.com.au/personal/credit-cards/velocity-credit-cards/nab-velocity-rewards-premium-card and still qualify for a 'transfer'. Or would you need to go grab one from AMEX direct? i.e. https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-edge-credit-card/

Secondly, does anyone go back into their D260 forms to ensure all info is up to date from the time they first applied? (We did ours over 4 months ago).. jobs are current but overseas trips are not. I assume now is a good time to ensure all information is matching for my husband (the selected applicant) and I?

My understanding is it needs to be an AMEX AMEX not a bank AMEX.

IMHO if the DS260 was accurate when you submitted it then it's fine. I'd only update for important errors - eg incorrect names or birthdates.

I'm pretty sure the CNs max at about 1000. Here is why.

<snip>

We haven't heard any case numbers above 1000 - and I think this is why....

Current is in the bag for OC in 2016, and with the low volume they would have no problem in announcing current in August.

Here's hoping the same holds true for years to come (back to normal you might say?).

No. It has to be an AMEX card issued by AMEX itself. You have to hold it for 12 months before you can transfer internationally.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/search/faq/?aid=2781&dynamicsearch=predlink

Although be careful - looks like they've changed the rules to only be charge cards (not credit cards).

No. It has to be an AMEX card issued by AMEX itself. You have to hold it for 12 months before you can transfer internationally.

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/search/faq/?aid=2781&dynamicsearch=predlink

Although be careful - looks like they've changed the rules to only be charge cards (not credit cards).

That's a good pickup.

EDIT: Looks like the Australian AMEX website is incorrect. Going to http://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/ and selecting USA takes you to the right page, which only states "Corporate Cards, International Dollar Cards and Global Network Cards are not eligible for Card transfers in the U.S.".

So it looks like AU AMEX credit cards are OK - but I'm double checking this with AMEX US at the moment. Will update here when I have 100% clarity.