• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 - Application Form questions

raz3008

Hi folks, i just need to ask something regarding the name field on the application form for DV 2016.
So my name is :
Raz xmiddlename xlastname a/l Rayxxxx xmiddlename xlastname

My passport has the whole name in there without the" a/l ". a/l stands for "son of" which is very typical in malaysia.

My US Visa(visitor) for travel has "Razx xmiddlename xlastname" as Given Name and "Rayxxxx xmiddlename xlastname" as surname.

what shall i use in my application ? its a long name and i wanna fill in the form "first time right!".
thank you in advance.

Please note that i have clearly understood the instructions on the DoS site and i have read most of the threads here before asking.

That is interesting that your passport has everything. The DV instructions of course say:

Name – last/family name, first name, middle name – exactly as on your passport.
which means to put everything that is on your passport. But they also give the specific name order (last, first, middle).

I would say your options are entering only "xlastname, Raz, xmiddlename" or everything with a translation "xlastname, Raz, xmiddlename a/l (son of) Rayxxxx xmiddlename xlastname".

Perhaps others from Malaysia who have entered can chime in.

Thanks Zuroma, the last DV2014, i just went with "xlastname, Raz, xmiddlename" and skipped my dads name.
I didnt get through but i am not sure if the name played a part lol
Its so weird that my dads name is in the passport and in malaysia . that is official. i have to use the whole name for banking etc.
I don't see many malaysians posting here but i hope simon and mom can help.

I doubt it affected anything in your DV2014 application, since before one gets randomly selected for 'further processing' they don't even do any deep checks, just simple checks like duplicate entries, etc.

Thanks Zuroma, the last DV2014, i just went with "xlastname, Raz, xmiddlename" and skipped my dads name.
I didnt get through but i am not sure if the name played a part lol
Its so weird that my dads name is in the passport and in malaysia . that is official. i have to use the whole name for banking etc.
I don't see many malaysians posting here but i hope simon and mom can help.

I would just put everything. As Zuroma mentioned, how you write your name won't be affecting your chances of being selected for further processing. The only point at which it can potentially become as issue is at your consular interview, but as you say, it's a very common thing in m'sia so won't be an issue to begin with. And I'm assuming you'll be interviewing in KL where I'm sure the case officers are aware of what it is and have already dealt with it countless times.

Thanks Kiwione, Zuroma ! that does make sense. So i will most probably go with "xlastname, Raz, xmiddlename" and skip my dads name for now.

Well i am just worried as i want to give little or no explanations in the interview (when i get in of course), prefer to have a clean interview with "all cards open" . I'm hoping if there is someone else who has had similar issues be so kind as to provide some advise on this.