• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

My family and I have now received our green cards and I wanted to share the FINAL part of my experience with the AOS process:

Case#: DV2016AF32XXX

Current: June 2016

Chicago Lockbox: May 02, 2016

Fingerprints: June 22, 2016

Interview: August 04, 2016

Approved: August 31, 2016 (file delayed at Kentucky Consular Office until August 25)

On Sept 09, we received in the mail only cards for other family members and one for my 18 year old daughter was missing. I started making customer service calls and booking multiple INFOPASS appointments to chase the missing GC. I learnt the following:

1. Although my daughter applied for AOS before she turned 18, USCIS officers (Tier 2 on customer service calls or at FO for INFOPASS) are not willing to discuss a case with the parents for anyone above 18. For customer service calls, the 18 year old must make the call themselves, or as in my case, I’d call USCIS and connect to my daughter on the same line via teleconference – which was acceptable

2. We did the interview at the New York, NY Field Office and my daughter has since moved to Buffalo, NY (400 miles away). We took a chance and booked an INFOPASS at the Buffalo USCIS Filed Office (different from interview location) on Sept 15. The Immigration Officer was very helpful and STAMPED A TEMPORARY FORM I-551 (Green Card) in her passport!

I have been reading of experiences where FO’s refused to conduct the INFOPASS appointment if the applicant went to a location other than where they were assigned for the interview. From my experience it seems there are exceptions and anxious applicants should still try if they have a good reason (distance, lack of appointment slots at their designated location, etc).

Hello guys I recently got an appointment update letter stating that I could go in for the interview on the 22nd instead of the 27th and in the list of documents required I came across the i134. I am a college student here and am not employed right now. What should I do? Should I print out my bank statement or am I required to fill out the i134? Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Hello guys I recently got an appointment update letter stating that I could go in for the interview on the 22nd instead of the 27th and in the list of documents required I came across the i134. I am a college student here and am not employed right now. What should I do? Should I print out my bank statement or am I required to fill out the i134? Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Get an I-134.

You don't fill out the I-134, you get an eligible person to fill it out and provide you with the necessary documents in support of the affidavit. They are aware you're a student and do not work hence the I-134 request.

Considering how long you've had to wait for an interview letter and the fact that the FY is coming to an end, I strongly encourage you to get an I-134 and not rely on presenting your bank statements to overcome being perceived as likely to become a public charge.

Thankyou so much for your replies. I am going to ask my cousin to fill it out for me. Do I need anything else apart from the copies of her tax returns for the last 2 years? Also she resides in Florida and I live in NY could that cause a problem?

Thankyou so much for your replies. I am going to ask my cousin to fill it out for me. Do I need anything else apart from the copies of her tax returns for the last 2 years? Also she resides in Florida and I live in NY could that cause a problem?

A copy of her ID, which can either be a GC or passport if she's a USC. The different places of residence shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Mom,

I wish that you are doing great. Some update on my case and a quick question. We attended our Infopass on Sep. 6th and I wrote a letter to the AOS office. We got our interview letter some days after and we had our interview on Sep. 14th. The officer was extremely kind and considerate and reviewed all of our documents. Finally she said she approved all of our documents and she is only waiting for the clearance to arrive to let the case go. I asked her when we can follow-up and she said today (Monday Sep. 19th), which I called the customer service and the status is not changed. Also there is no change in the status online.

So my question are two: what can we do to speed-up the clearance process? I am trying to reach out to our Congressman and Senator but given the timing (10 days to deadline) I am not very hopeful. Is there any other way to directly contact FBI and ask them to make things faster? Also is it possible that the officer approves the case without the clearance or we will lose the application if it's not done in time?

My second question is I arranged an Infopass for Sep. 30th. (the only available time I found). Is there anyway to have a walk-in visit regarding the urgency of our case?

Thanks a lot,
Hamid

Hi Mom,

I wish that you are doing great. Some update on my case and a quick question. We attended our Infopass on Sep. 6th and I wrote a letter to the AOS office. We got our interview letter some days after and we had our interview on Sep. 14th. The officer was extremely kind and considerate and reviewed all of our documents. Finally she said she approved all of our documents and she is only waiting for the clearance to arrive to let the case go. I asked her when we can follow-up and she said today (Monday Sep. 19th), which I called the customer service and the status is not changed. Also there is no change in the status online.

So my question are two: what can we do to speed-up the clearance process? I am trying to reach out to our Congressman and Senator but given the timing (10 days to deadline) I am not very hopeful. Is there any other way to directly contact FBI and ask them to make things faster? Also is it possible that the officer approves the case without the clearance or we will lose the application if it's not done in time?

My second question is I arranged an Infopass for Sep. 30th. (the only available time I found). Is there anyway to have a walk-in visit regarding the urgency of our case?

Thanks a lot,
Hamid

1. Unfortunately there's nothing you can personally do to hasten up the background check. Nothing your senator or congress person can do about it either. And there's no way for you to contact the FBI either, even if you can contact them, they will not release any information to you about your case.

2. Your FO is the only one that may be able to request the FBI to complete the background check if possible before the end of the FY. Bear in mind there's a big security concern in the US, so they will want to ensure they carry out a thorough vetting before recommending a clearance. Anyway, you should try a walk in INFOPASS at your FO, don't wait until the Sept 30th appointment you got.

Hi there,

According to the visa bulletin, I'll be current in Octobre.
So far I've done my medical examination, submitted my DS 260 (a day ago) and sent the 330$ (a week ago).
I'm still confused with the process. I have all the documents ready.

As an F-1, should I send the I-765 ?

I would like to know if there is anyone here in Houston, Tx who is familiar with the DV Lottery process.

Really need some help

Thank you.

Hi there,

According to the visa bulletin, I'll be current in Octobre.
So far I've done my medical examination, submitted my DS 260 (a day ago) and sent the 330$ (a week ago).
I'm still confused with the process. I have all the documents ready.

As an F-1, should I send the I-765 ?

I would like to know if there is anyone here in Houston, Tx who is familiar with the DV Lottery process.

Really need some help

Thank you.

At the risk of sounding arrogant or condescending, I must say I find it hard to believe that someone who is a student is having such a hard time understanding the step by step process clearly laid on on the AOS process spreadsheet they've been referred to a couple of times, or is it more like failure to actually follow the directive to go through the spreadsheet? Frankly speaking if you're not going to spend the time to use the resources painstakingly put together, you might what to consider paying someone to help you and pray they will be available to hold your hand through the process.

Plus you're a DV2017 selectee, why post on a 2016 Thread when there's also a 2017 Thread dedicated to AOS candidates???

At the risk of sounding arrogant or condescending, I must say I find it hard to believe that someone who is a student is having such a hard time understanding the step by step process clearly laid on on the AOS process spreadsheet they've been referred to a couple of times, or is it more like failure to actually follow the directive to go through the spreadsheet? Frankly speaking if you're not going to spend the time to use the resources painstakingly put together, you might what to consider paying someone to help you and pray they will be available to hold your hand through the process.

Plus you're a DV2017 selectee, why post on a 2016 Thread when there's also a 2017 Thread dedicated to AOS candidates???

Thanks, I'll wait patiently :(. Is there anyway that I can continue the process after September 30th?

So I just found out two days ago that my card is being processed and today it is being sent!

Only thing I can say is that when the case officer stated she is just waiting on the document from the KCC (she might also say State Department), then make sure you annoy the heck out of KCC. Call them, press 0 (or # can't remember) to bypass the usual tone and ask about your case. Have your Diversity Visa case number ready (not your receipt number) and they should help you out. Every once in a while you might encounter the same person and it makes it all the more important to ensure they send your file to the local office.

Once they do, schedule the quickest Infopass available or do anything in your power to meet the case officer. It usually helps to know their name and 'say' to security or whoever that they are expecting you. It should help you grant an audience with said case officer.

I hope it is all going well for everyone and praying so that it works out for all of you out there!

Here is my whole experience

Informations:

Name: Christian Sakai
Case No: 2016AS00009127
AOS/CP => AOS
Status => F1
ASC => Long Island City, NY
FO => Manhattan, NY

Timeline:

5th May 2015 => 1st NL from KCC
6th Feb 2016 => Submitted DS-260
25th Feb 2016 => 2nd NL from KCC, proceed to do AOS
5th March 2016 => Sent Payment $330
11th May 2016 => Got back payment confirmation for $330
1st July 2016 => Case became current
4th July 2016 => Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox
6th July 2016 => Confirmation that AOS Package delivered by USPS
18th July 2016 => NOA received for AOS Package acceptance
20th July 2016 => Status updated on website
22nd July 2016 => Biometrics Letter received
4th August 2016 => Did Biometrics
25th of August 2016 => Did INFOPASS
3rd September 2016 => Interview Letter received
22nd September 2016 => Interviewed, Case Approved and CPO

Remarks:

I did a name change while in F1 but before submitting DV Lottery 2016. When I submitted DV-2016 I already used the new name. During my stay with F1-OPT for the last 5 years (attended about 3 different schools, used CPT and OPT, with old name and SSN attached to old name, so some of my documentations were mismatched). So even though I was able to apply for early processing on May 2016, but delayed it to July 2016 instead because I decided to use the 2 months to fix my documentations and make everything coherent. I gave an extra explanation letter about the whole name change situation in my AOS Package. I used my own bank statement instead of Affidavit of Support. On the interview letter, I was asked to bring with me photo identification and passport, also in the other page of the letter, I was asked to bring again the medical report and bank statement. I asked the doctor for another medical report and she seemed surprised, insisted that medical report is only one genuine file and is not supposed to be duplicated, nevertheless she gave it to me again anyway because I insisted.

Interview Experience:

22nd September 9:20 AM is the scheduled time. I came at 9:00 AM, and got called at 9:20 AM. I came with 2 bags full of documents, wore a business casual outfit that day. The IO was pretty serious but relax. She asked me bunch of questions such as: date of entry to the USA, ever worked without authorization or not, what am I doing right now, my marital status, where do I go to school, what major, where do I live currently, why did I move from the previous address, what transportation that I take, the bus name, the road name, how do I support myself, have I ever done any criminal activities listed in the I-485. Interview lasted for 15 minutes, she concluded by saying my case is under review and she will review it at the end of the day. I went home, 30 minutes later got 3 status updates by text on my phone. I checked the status update, and it was “New Card is being Produced”.

Mom and Britsimon and everyone, thank you again!

Also, I would like to update the Timeline Sheet, how do I gain access to that?

Mom, I have a few questions.

How long does it take on average for the GC to arrive in the mail?

Also, right now, I want to update my existing SSN to reflect my current name. I couldn't update it before because I didn't have work authorization so I didn't have a sufficient reason to update the SSN. Since now technically I am Green, but the card hasn't arrived yet, what can I do to go to SSN office to update my SSN?

Mom, I have a few questions.

How long does it take on average for the GC to arrive in the mail?

Also, right now, I want to update my existing SSN to reflect my current name. I couldn't update it before because I didn't have work authorization so I didn't have a sufficient reason to update the SSN. Since now technically I am Green, but the card hasn't arrived yet, what can I do to go to SSN office to update my SSN?

1. Roughly about 2 weeks.

2. You'll need the actual GC, the SSA office will not go by "technically Green" - the actual evidence of a LPR status is required.