• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

I had my interview 2 weeks ago and I still didn't get any response yet.
My case status is still showing "Fingerprint Fee Received."

Is it normal?

Hi Mom,

My husband and I received our green cards 3 weeks ago, but we still haven't heard anything for our 2 children. Their cases still show online as: "my case was received". Would you recommend we go in for an info pass at this point, or do something else? If an info pass, what should we say / ask?

Hi Mom,

My husband and I received our green cards 3 weeks ago, but we still haven't heard anything for our 2 children. Their cases still show online as: "my case was received". Would you recommend we go in for an info pass at this point, or do something else? If an info pass, what should we say / ask?

The two boys are age 5 and 7

Yes go on an INFOPASS. Tell them precisely what you told us here.

Hi Mum,

I wish that you are doing great. I had a question regarding timing and delay. I read on the USCIS website that the whole AOS process should be done by end of September this year and after that over application with be voided. We already did our finger print (on July 26th) and we are waiting for our interview letter. I am wondering if you could inform me that whether this deadline will be applied to people like us with pending cases or it's for the people who has not yet applied?

Moreover, is there any way to speed-up the process? We read from the timelines that it should take around a month to get your interview, but is it possible to make it faster? Thanks a lot mum.

Hi Mum,

I wish that you are doing great. I had a question regarding timing and delay. I read on the USCIS website that the whole AOS process should be done by end of September this year and after that over application with be voided. We already did our finger print (on July 26th) and we are waiting for our interview letter. I am wondering if you could inform me that whether this deadline will be applied to people like us with pending cases or it's for the people who has not yet applied?

Moreover, is there any way to speed-up the process? We read from the timelines that it should take around a month to get your interview, but is it possible to make it faster? Thanks a lot mum.

The September 30th deadline applies to all DV cases, including those who as a matter of fact have had an interview and are simply awaiting a decision - if those cases are not approved by COB on September 30th, they will not be getting their GC.

You need to schedule an INFOPASS appointment with your FO and go follow up on your case in person.

Hi Mum,

Same with me here, waiting for the interview letter. I did my finger print on August 4th. Crossing fingers...

I will be having my INFOPASS appointment this Thursday

A week ago I called the USCIS customer service and asked them to expedite our case which is pending background check (we already had an interview in May).
They said that they will send a request to the FO. We have just got the mail from out Newark FO that the request for expediting was rejected since the reason was not sufficient.
Tomorrow we have an INFOPASS appointment scheduled. Should we go or it is better to wait another 2 weeks?
There are about 5 weeks left until the deadline and it is very hard to stay relaxed (especially when we paid ~$5000 fees for the whole family...).
Thanks!

A week ago I called the USCIS customer service and asked them to expedite our case which is pending background check (we already had an interview in May).
They said that they will send a request to the FO. We have just got the mail from out Newark FO that the request for expediting was rejected since the reason was not sufficient.
Tomorrow we have an INFOPASS appointment scheduled. Should we go or it is better to wait another 2 weeks?
There are about 5 weeks left until the deadline and it is very hard to stay relaxed (especially when we paid ~$5000 fees for the whole family...).
Thanks!

Attend the INFOPASS appointment. Of course it may not necessarily appear like a fruitful journey at the end of the day, but I think it's still worth it.

You need to bear in mind the fact that you're asking for your case to be expedited doesn't necessarily mean your FO will oblige (like you're finding out). They however use their discretion to do so, especially as the FY draws closer and closer to an end.

Thanks!

The question of whether it is too soon to attend the Infopass is based on when you did the last one. If the last one was more than 2 weeks ago, you should attend. You are justified in asking when the case will be finalized.

Also - given the FO rejected the expedite (that seems to be common), that is something else you can politely but firmly discuss. The reason for the expedite was sufficient - but the FOs don't seem to "like" having their cases expedited - even though they often seem to jump to action after the case is raised to them.

Attend the INFOPASS appointment. Of course it may not necessarily appear like a fruitful journey at the end of the day, but I think it's still worth it.

You need to bear in mind the fact that you're asking for your case to be expedited doesn't necessarily mean your FO will oblige (like you're finding out). They however use their discretion to do so, especially as the FY draws closer and closer to an end.

Beat me to it.

Thanks, I will attend the appointment. In case the first representative will say that there is nothing to do about the case (like it was on our previous appointment 3 weeks ago), should I ask to speak with his manager/supervisor? Or what is the "firm/polite" way to insist on considering the expediting more seriously?

Thanks, I will attend the appointment. In case the first representative will say that there is nothing to do about the case (like it was on our previous appointment 3 weeks ago), should I ask to speak with his manager/supervisor? Or what is the "firm/polite" way to insist on considering the expediting more seriously?

Asking to speak to a manager/supervisor is a sure way to irritate them. So - only do that if the person is not taking you seriously.

I would raise the point of the expedite rejection as a "disappointment" since the deadline is very real and looming fast. It is perfectly reasonable to ask them to assure you they are taking account of the deadline and that they will adjudicate the case in time. It is also reasonable to ask why there is a delay, and so on. Being polite and firm means politely holding your ground. Don't be "fobbed off" with some pat on the head. Politely ask for the situation, and re-confirm every point. Don't feel rushed out the door. My infopass lasted well over an hour - but by the time I left, I knew exactly where my case stood and the IO knew I would not just accept some BS answer.

Asking to speak to a manager/supervisor is a sure way to irritate them. So - only do that if the person is not taking you seriously.

I would raise the point of the expedite rejection as a "disappointment" since the deadline is very real and looming fast. It is perfectly reasonable to ask them to assure you they are taking account of the deadline and that they will adjudicate the case in time. It is also reasonable to ask why there is a delay, and so on. Being polite and firm means politely holding your ground. Don't be "fobbed off" with some pat on the head. Politely ask for the situation, and re-confirm every point. Don't feel rushed out the door. My infopass lasted well over an hour - but by the time I left, I knew exactly where my case stood and the IO knew I would not just accept some BS answer.

Thanks for the advise. But is there anything can be done/asked if they say that "the case is waiting for the background check and this is FBI and so does not depend on USCIS so we can't do anything about it". Can they (FO) ask FBI to expedite the background check?

Hello Mom,
We received our card today and I would like to thank you for your continuous help and support through this forum.
We had our interview on August 4th, CPO 15th August, case approved 16th August, welcome letter 19th August, Green Card 22nd August. Thanks to everyone who helped me through this. Best of luck for the one who is waiting...patience is the key to overcome the stress.....

Thanks for the advise. But is there anything can be done/asked if they say that "the case is waiting for the background check and this is FBI and so does not depend on USCIS so we can't do anything about it". Can they (FO) ask FBI to expedite the background check?

I feel like we're dancing round a circle here - Simon already provided guidance on how to handle your INFOPASS in addition to what I already provided. Yes, I understand you've spent ~$5K on this process and you're quite worried. Truth is we can't tell you precisely what to ask, you'll have to use your best judgment based on how the meeting is proceeding. We've (or at least I've) told you over and over the FOs typically use their discretion in expediting cases with pending background checks, even when they tell you to your face there's nothing they can do about it. Background check expediting is on a case by case basis - basically depends on what triggered the additional checks in the first place and this is obviously not something they share with the public.

Hello Mom,
We received our card today and I would like to thank you for your continuous help and support through this forum.
We had our interview on August 4th, CPO 15th August, case approved 16th August, welcome letter 19th August, Green Card 22nd August. Thanks to everyone who helped me through this. Best of luck for the one who is waiting...patience is the key to overcome the stress.....

Congratulations Rubi.

I feel like we're dancing round a circle here - Simon already provided guidance on how to handle your INFOPASS in addition to what I already provided. Yes, I understand you've spent ~$5K on this process and you're quite worried. Truth is we can't tell you precisely what to ask, you'll have to use your best judgment based on how the meeting is proceeding. We've (or at least I've) told you over and over the FOs typically use their discretion in expediting cases with pending background checks, even when they tell you to your face there's nothing they can do about it. Background check expediting is on a case by case basis - basically depends on what triggered the additional checks in the first place and this is obviously not something they share with the public.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help Mom. Sorry for annoying you with all the questions...