• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi Mom, I already did my interview 45 days ago in Philadelphia and am still waiting for my GC. I will have to move to New York city in 3 weeks and have a question in this regard. Do you think if I change my address to New York, it will elongate my process? Is it possible to give a friend's address in Philadelphia instead?

Thanks.

Hi Mom, I already did my interview 45 days ago in Philadelphia and am still waiting for my GC. I will have to move to New York city in 3 weeks and have a question in this regard. Do you think if I change my address to New York, it will elongate my process? Is it possible to give a friend's address in Philadelphia instead?

Thanks.

Because you've already had you interview, the move shouldn't prolong the rest of the process for you.

The only thing you need to be aware of though is the fact that the GC may still end up being sent to your Philly address, even after you've done a change of addres online with USCIS. All the different systems they use are not quite integrated, and it might take a while for the information to get updated in all the right places.

Because you've already had you interview, the move shouldn't prolong the rest of the process for you.

The only thing you need to be aware of though is the fact that the GC may still end up being sent to your Philly address, even after you've done a change of addres online with USCIS. All the different systems they use are not quite integrated, and it might take a while for the information to get updated in all the right places.
Thanks Mom!

Hello,

I have a question about a mistake has been made on I-485Form !!

My spouse asked many people, but he could not give me a good answer yet may be he misunderstood!
I finally found your great discussion here and would have a better answer if you do not mind!!

I live in the USA under F-2 Visa and my husband F-1.

On I-485 Form where it asks for (EXPIRES ON), our answers were the expiration date of our visas that were stamped on the visas pages of our passports not the Expiration date of our Current USCIS status.
My husband graduated and applied for OPT and recently he got his EAD card and new I-20s for both of us. We recently found that our answers had to be the expiration date of our I-20s or D/S ( Duration of Status). We have sent our new I20s (valid to 2017), I-94 that states our status is (D/S), and my husband EAD card which valid to (2017) with AOS packet.

We have submitted our AOS packet to Chicago lockbox and received Text/email says that they received the Case this week.

In your opinion, do we have to call USCIS to correct the mistakes (EXPIRES ON) or we are OK and they will figure it out that we are maintaining our status F1, F2 by looking at (I-20s, I-94, EAD card) which say we are legal and maintaining the status!!!

Thanks

Hello,

I have a question about a mistake has been made on I-485Form !!

My spouse asked many people, but he could not give me a good answer yet may be he misunderstood!
I finally found your great discussion here and would have a better answer if you do not mind!!

I live in the USA under F-2 Visa and my husband F-1.

On I-485 Form where it asks for (EXPIRES ON), our answers were the expiration date of our visas that were stamped on the visas pages of our passports not the Expiration date of our Current USCIS status.
My husband graduated and applied for OPT and recently he got his EAD card and new I-20s for both of us. We recently found that our answers had to be the expiration date of our I-20s or D/S ( Duration of Status). We have sent our new I20s (valid to 2017), I-94 that states our status is (D/S), and my husband EAD card which valid to (2017) with AOS packet.

We have submitted our AOS packet to Chicago lockbox and received Text/email says that they received the Case this week.

In your opinion, do we have to call USCIS to correct the mistakes (EXPIRES ON) or we are OK and they will figure it out that we are maintaining our status F1, F2 by looking at (I-20s, I-94, EAD card) which say we are legal and maintaining the status!!!

Thanks

Yes, the status expiration date had to be either the date on your I-20 or I-94, whichever is the longest. Call USCIS CSC to see if they will make the correction for you, if they wouldn't then you just have to keep your fingers crossed for an interview, at which point you make sure you get the IO to make the correction for you.

Hi,
I have a quick question. My wife is a DV 2016 selectee and we currently living in the U.S with our kids. Wife and kids on F-2 visas while I'm on F-1 and recently applied for OPT status. When we file for an AOS does it have any affect on my OPT status and my wife's dependent status? I ask this because I have a job lined up starting next month, so does the filing of the I-485 affect anything?

Thanks.

Hi,
I have a quick question. My wife is a DV 2016 selectee and we currently living in the U.S with our kids. Wife and kids on F-2 visas while I'm on F-1 and recently applied for OPT status. When we file for an AOS does it have any affect on my OPT status and my wife's dependent status? I ask this because I have a job lined up starting next month, so does the filing of the I-485 affect anything?

Thanks.

No impact on your OPT.

Yes, you may politely reference the 2009 Memo at your next INFOPASS and ask them if it applies to you, no harm in trying. And like I said before, I don't even know for sure if there isn't a new memo in place that has since superseded that.

Of course since you only had your interview back in January, that's the pending date your FO is likely to count your waiting period from, regardless of when your bio took place. 5 months is still a lot of time for them to conclude the case and issue your GC.

While waiting, you can ask your congressman to follow up with your FO on your behalf, if you haven't done so already, keep doing monthly INFOPASS appointments if you can. You can also use the service of the ombudsman, not sure that's of any use to DV cases though because of the time constraints involved. Ombudsman info:

https://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance
Dear mom,
Dear all,

2 days ago I had an infopass, and I asked to speak with the supervisor. So when I showed him the 2008 memo, he answered it is outdated. Hence, I presented the 2009 memo, and as it was not officially memo, he didn't accept it. He explained me he can't give reference to an unofficial memo. So he asked me to show him the 2009 memo, in an official format (found in USCIS website). As I couldn't find it online, I wondered if anyone can help me by sending its link.

Now, my BC is not completed after 8 month, and I am really frustrated about time.

Best Regards

Hi Mom, I decided to do a congressional inquiry on my case. Its good that I did this as I found some information regarding the case. This is the reply I got from the congresswoman's office, Now I find this information contradicting as KCC told me on Feb 28th they received the request of the file and they sent it electronically on Feb 29th. Now from this message it looks like they are yet to receive this. What should I do? I should call KCC tomorrow and should get a letter saying they forward this electronically and forward that letter to congresswoman's office. Does that sounds like a good plan. This is the message

"I verified the status of these two cases with our Records section. The supervisor told me that here at the Manchester office we have only received the I-485 applications so far. We made an initial request to the Kentucky Consular Center to forward the visa packets. As we have not heard or received anything yet, we contacted the Kentucky center again to request the visa packets. Our most recent request was yesterday.

As soon as all the documents are in, the cases will be assigned to an Immigration Officer to perform the review and make a final decision on the cases. If during the review the officer will find that anything is missing, or needed, your constituents will be contacted with a request for evidence via mail, at the address we have on record. Usually, this type of adjustments do not require an interview. If one is needed, your constituents will receive an appointment notice. For now, there are no steps for them to take.

Please allow 60 days to pass before submitting another inquiry. If there has been no notice of action received by Ms. and Mr. XXXXXX by July 27, 2016, please feel free to submit an inquiry to our Manchester Congressional Unit.

We hope this information is helpful to your constituents.

Thank you.

Hi Mom, I decided to do a congressional inquiry on my case. Its good that I did this as I found some information regarding the case. This is the reply I got from the congresswoman's office, Now I find this information contradicting as KCC told me on Feb 28th they received the request of the file and they sent it electronically on Feb 29th. Now from this message it looks like they are yet to receive this. What should I do? I should call KCC tomorrow and should get a letter saying they forward this electronically and forward that letter to congresswoman's office. Does that sounds like a good plan. This is the message

"I verified the status of these two cases with our Records section. The supervisor told me that here at the Manchester office we have only received the I-485 applications so far. We made an initial request to the Kentucky Consular Center to forward the visa packets. As we have not heard or received anything yet, we contacted the Kentucky center again to request the visa packets. Our most recent request was yesterday.

As soon as all the documents are in, the cases will be assigned to an Immigration Officer to perform the review and make a final decision on the cases. If during the review the officer will find that anything is missing, or needed, your constituents will be contacted with a request for evidence via mail, at the address we have on record. Usually, this type of adjustments do not require an interview. If one is needed, your constituents will receive an appointment notice. For now, there are no steps for them to take.

Please allow 60 days to pass before submitting another inquiry. If there has been no notice of action received by Ms. and Mr. XXXXXX by July 27, 2016, please feel free to submit an inquiry to our Manchester Congressional Unit.

We hope this information is helpful to your constituents.

Thank you.

For AOS cases KCC have to do just two simple things - open a file when they get the DS260, and send the file when the FO requests it. They seem to understand those two responsibilities well, and they certainly understand DV lottery (since that is their sole purpose). In virtually every case I am confident that when KCC say they have had a request for the file, or when they say they sent it, they are "correct" in their answer.

The FOs on the other hand clearly DON'T know DV lottery processing very well. Out of all their immigration case load, DV related AOS cases represent a TINY portion of their work. Only 5% of annual immigration is DV lottery based and AOS only accounts for 5% of that 5% (about 1000 cases per year). Those 1000 cases are spread among the hundreds of field offices - so the average field office sees just a handful of DV AOS cases per year. That is why certain FOs try to "batch" their work - grouping cases together for processing (annoyingly). The FO staff are therefore not used to dealing with these cases and are experts at "fobbing people off" because they assume that people won't be knowledgeable about immigration matters.

So - if you want to guess who is telling fibs, my money would be that KCC are telling the truth, and the FO have screwed up somehow. However, the point that the FO have made that they re-requested the file yesterday (purely by coincidence of course) will allow them to "heroically" fix the problem and they will soon miraculously locate the file.

For AOS cases KCC have to do just two simple things - open a file when they get the DS260, and send the file when the FO requests it. They seem to understand those two responsibilities well, and they certainly understand DV lottery (since that is their sole purpose). In virtually every case I am confident that when KCC say they have had a request for the file, or when they say they sent it, they are "correct" in their answer.

The FOs on the other hand clearly DON'T know DV lottery processing very well. Out of all their immigration case load, DV related AOS cases represent a TINY portion of their work. Only 5% of annual immigration is DV lottery based and AOS only accounts for 5% of that 5% (about 1000 cases per year). Those 1000 cases are spread among the hundreds of field offices - so the average field office sees just a handful of DV AOS cases per year. That is why certain FOs try to "batch" their work - grouping cases together for processing (annoyingly). The FO staff are therefore not used to dealing with these cases and are experts at "fobbing people off" because they assume that people won't be knowledgeable about immigration matters.

So - if you want to guess who is telling fibs, my money would be that KCC are telling the truth, and the FO have screwed up somehow. However, the point that the FO have made that they re-requested the file yesterday (purely by coincidence of course) will allow them to "heroically" fix the problem and they will soon miraculously locate the file.
Thanks Simon for your words, what I m going to do is call KCC and get a letter saying they have already forward the file to FO. I saw another member did this on this forum. Then forward that letter to congresswoman's office and also carry a copy of that letter on June 7th Infopass. Does that sound like a good plan? I hope KCC will give me a proof of their act

Thanks Simon for your words, what I m going to do is call KCC and get a letter saying they have already forward the file to FO. I saw another member did this on this forum. Then forward that letter to congresswoman's office and also carry a copy of that letter on June 7th Infopass. Does that sound like a good plan? I hope KCC will give me a proof of their act

What would be the point of that (even assuming they were willing to do that)? Just play the game. Your contact has probably addressed the delay. Proving who is telling untruths doesn't get you anywhere.

What would be the point of that (even assuming they were willing to do that)? Just play the game. Your contact has probably addressed the delay. Proving who is telling untruths doesn't get you anywhere.
That would be obviously not to prove whos saying truth and who's is lying. Point of that is make sure they would find the file in timely manner. What I would do is now that I have a clear answer during the infopass I can bring this up and ask whether they have received the file or not. If they say no obviously something is wrong. Having a letter will confirm with them that KCC has sent the file so they know ball is with them now. All this time FO was waiting on KCC to send the file and they didnt find it even though KCC sent it long time back. I hope I wont have to use the letter and by the time of June 7th they would have found the file.
Another thing is whats that they are saying these kind of adjustments do not require an interview

That would be obviously not to prove whos saying truth and who's is lying. Point of that is make sure they would find the file in timely manner. What I would do is now that I have a clear answer during the infopass I can bring this up and ask whether they have received the file or not. If they say no obviously something is wrong. Having a letter will confirm with them that KCC has sent the file so they know ball is with them now. All this time FO was waiting on KCC to send the file and they didnt find it even though KCC sent it long time back. I hope I wont have to use the letter and by the time of June 7th they would have found the file.
Another thing is whats that they are saying these kind of adjustments do not require an interview

I'm not sure KCC would provide the letter and even if they did, pulling the letter out and humiliating the FO would be a pyrrhic victory (winning the battle, losing the war). You want the FO to be on your side, and only use "heavy handed" tactics if needed. In your case you don't need to do that, so relax and hopefully there will be some good movement by the time of the infopass.

I'm not sure KCC would provide the letter and even if they did, pulling the letter out and humiliating the FO would be a pyrrhic victory (winning the battle, losing the war). You want the FO to be on your side, and only use "heavy handed" tactics if needed. In your case you don't need to do that, so relax and hopefully there will be some good movement by the time of the infopass.
Yes thats true. I completely agree with you. Infact I m going to infopass with 2 objectives in mind. Main one being to inquire I 485. But for them my visit mainly due to not receiving my husbands AP combo card. I received both approval notices and received my card. But my husbands one still says new card being produced and no tracking number for a 1 month. Even though both of dont need the card it is better to have received the card. But I take this as an excuse to visit the FO and first inquire about this and then inquire about I485.

Yes thats true. I completely agree with you. Infact I m going to infopass with 2 objectives in mind. Main one being to inquire I 485. But for them my visit mainly due to not receiving my husbands AP combo card. I received both approval notices and received my card. But my husbands one still says new card being produced and no tracking number for a 1 month. Even though both of dont need the card it is better to have received the card. But I take this as an excuse to visit the FO and first inquire about this and then inquire about I485.

One last thing. Whilst it is true that they clear some cases without an interview, that is rare. It should not be anyone's expectation, just a welcome surprise if it happens.

One last thing. Whilst it is true that they clear some cases without an interview, that is rare. It should not be anyone's expectation, just a welcome surprise if it happens.
Thanks you, yes I saw some cases get approved without interview but I m surprised that FO answers like that to a congresswoman inquiry