• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

We can support even if we can't vote :)
Maybe he meant vote in her second term ;)

Yes there are other ways to support a candidate without voting, however I posted in line with being able to support a candidate by voting. So assuming she wins the first term and considering the fact that:
the next presidential election following that will be in 2020,
the OP will become a LPR in 2015,
it takes roughly about 5 years to acquire US citizenship,
and the fact that USCIS loves to drag their feet when it comes to adjudicating petitions;​
I'm guessing being able to support her second term by voting will be quite an interesting feat to achieve.

@SusieQQQ you read my mind :D I have already liked HC's facebook page, so this is an initial step of support to the first woman President :) Will absolutely vote her in a second term eventual candidacy!

Yes there are other ways to support a candidate without voting, however I posted in line with being able to support a candidate by voting. So assuming she wins the first term and considering the fact that:
and the fact that USCIS loves to drag their feet when it comes to adjudicating petitions;​
I'm guessing being able to support her second term by voting will be quite an interesting feat to achieve.
So accurate calculations with the elections coming closer lol.. Well in that case I'll write a letter to Hillary in order for me to accelerate Citizenship procedures (or postpone elections by a couple of months) :D who knows, sometimes a bunch of votes can make the difference ;) it has happened before Bill vs George (?) almost a tie, only 50 votes apart in hundred of million of voters, unbelieveable!

So accurate calculations with the elections coming closer lol.. Well in that case I'll write a letter to Hillary in order for me to accelerate Citizenship procedures (or postpone elections by a couple of months) :D who knows, sometimes a bunch of votes can make the difference ;) it has happened before Bill vs George (?) almost a tie, only 50 votes apart in hundred of million of voters, unbelieveable!

Of course if you join the U.S. military, you'll qualify for accelerated citizenship - something to consider ;)

The people I know who have become citizens have generally done it just about exactly 5 years after immigrating. You can file a few months before I believe? So flori - if he acts in the next few months - I'm guessing should be able to squeak in given that electins are in November. :) Me, I actually have less than 4 years left before I can naturalize so I will make it for sure :)

The people I know who have become citizens have generally done it just about exactly 5 years after immigrating. You can file a few months before I believe? So flori - if he acts in the next few months - I'm guessing should be able to squeak in given that electins are in November. :) Me, I actually have less than 4 years left before I can naturalize so I will make it for sure :)

Well, the conversation wasn't about you, it was about Flori :) and I haven't said it will be impossible, but that it would be quite an interesting feat for him to pull off (also considering the fact that each State has different deadlines for voters registration).

fyi, i asked the brussels embassy if apostilles are required for original dox and they replied : "Please bring originals AND regular copies of all supporting documents. Apostilles are not required."

Speaking of becoming a US citizen after 5 years... when do the 5 years start counting, the day you get your immigration visa in your passport or the day you activate your green card (i.e. when you arrive in the US the first time) or is there a different date when they start counting?

Speaking of becoming a US citizen after 5 years... when do the 5 years start counting, the day you get your immigration visa in your passport or the day you activate your green card (i.e. when you arrive in the US the first time) or is there a different date when they start counting?

The answer is...(drum roll...!!!) .... It depends!

The start date for the 5-year count is the date you land in the U.S. (just getting a visa is...just getting a visa. You only become a LPR when you land.) But - if you spend longer than 6 months** outside the US at any stage after that, it resets to the later entry date. Then, there are also residency requirements of how much time you have actually spent in the U.S. in the 3 (I think) years just before you apply for naturalization is.

** of course if you are out the U.S. longer than a year without a re entry permit you lose your green card and any hope of citizenship.

The start date for the 5-year count is the date you land in the U.S. (just getting a visa is...just getting a visa. You only become a LPR when you land.) But - if you spend longer than 6 months** outside the US at any stage after that, it resets to the later entry date. Then, there are also residency requirements of how much time you have actually spent in the U.S. in the 3 (I think) years just before you apply for naturalization is.

** of course if you are out the U.S. longer than a year without a re entry permit you lose your green card and any hope of citizenship.
So technically I could get my green card, live in the US for 4 years, get sent overseas by my employer for 7 months just to come back to a new start date?! :(

So technically I could get my green card, live in the US for 4 years, get sent overseas by my employer for 7 months just to come back to a new start date?! :(

Depends who your employer is - if it is the army or the U.S. Government for example there are exceptions to the rule and you'd be fine. Should a private sector employer ask you that, the simple thing to do is take a trip back before the 6 months is up. In any case should an employer ask you to do something like that you should make sure they are aware of the implications of your legal status in the US of doing so.

See this link: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

Depends who your employer is - if it is the army or the U.S. Government for example there are exceptions to the rule and you'd be fine. Should a private sector employer ask you that, the simple thing to do is take a trip back before the 6 months is up. In any case should an employer ask you to do something like that you should make sure they are aware of the implications of your legal status in the US of doing so.

See this link: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

Thanks for all the answers. I will take a look at the link.

Hi there,

I have a case number of 20015EU33XXX.
I only just filled out my DS-260 form today. Barring in mind the lateness of the DS-260 submission is there still a chance I could be scheduled for a visa interview in the future months?

Thanks

Hi there,

I have a case number of 20015EU33XXX.
I only just filled out my DS-260 form today. Barring in mind the lateness of the DS-260 submission is there still a chance I could be scheduled for a visa interview in the future months?

Thanks
Your number already became Current for June. You will not receive your 2nd NL until processing of your DS-260 has been completed. With KCC starting to catch up on respective backlogs, this should not prevent you from receiving an interview date for August or September, in my opinion. You have, with delay but nevertheless effectively, taken your deserved place in the line and bumped everyone after you by one or more places back (depending on number of dependents, if any). Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Your number already became Current for June. You will not receive your 2nd NL until processing of your DS-260 has been completed. With KCC starting to catch up with respective backlogs, this should not prevent you from receiving an interview date for August or September, in my opinion. You have, with delay but nevertheless effectively, taken your deserved place in the line and bumped everyone after you by one or more places back (depending on number of dependents, if any). Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the info!

My parents got the green card in June 2009 then they stayed outside USA from July 2009 to march 2010. Anyway my mom applied and got the passport in July 2014, because the officer thought there was valid reasons to stay outside USA that long. So ( drum rolls…) IT DEPENDS

My parents got the green card in June 2009 then they stayed outside USA from July 2009 to march 2010. Anyway my mom applied and got the passport in July 2014, because the officer thought there was valid reasons to stay outside USA that long. So ( drum rolls…) IT DEPENDS

Yes, but the burden of proof will be on the applicant, and will depend on the reasons they were outside. The mere fact that you say "valid reasons" shows that this is the exception. I didn't list the exceptions as there are a bunch but tend to apply to very few people.

Hello dears,
Frankfürt consulate's '' Immigrant / Fiancé(e) & K Visa Application Checklist '' states : '' ... a police certificate with an entry must be accompanied by a certified English translation ''. In my case , 'certificato del casellario giudiziale' [certificate from the judicial records] and 'certificato dei carichi pendenti' [certificate of outstanding criminal proceedings] from Italy declare ''NULLA'' and "NEGATIVO" respectively, whereas the 'Führungszeugnis' [certificate of conduct] from Germany declares '' keine Eintragung'' (no entry) . According to the checklist [a police certificate with AN ENTRY => English translation ] then , I do not think that I need translations either from the Italian or German originals into English as they both do not have ''an entry''. Any comment, experience ... on that ?
Thanks a lot !

Hello dears,
Frankfürt consulate's '' Immigrant / Fiancé(e) & K Visa Application Checklist '' states : '' ... a police certificate with an entry must be accompanied by a certified English translation ''. In my case , 'certificato del casellario giudiziale' [certificate from the judicial records] and 'certificato dei carichi pendenti' [certificate of outstanding criminal proceedings] from Italy declare ''NULLA'' and "NEGATIVO" respectively, whereas the 'Führungszeugnis' [certificate of conduct] from Germany declares '' keine Eintragung'' (no entry) . According to the checklist [a police certificate with AN ENTRY => English translation ] then , I do not think that I need translations either from the Italian or German originals into English as they both do not have ''an entry''. Any comment, experience ... on that ?
Thanks a lot !

If you are presenting any documents that are required for your case they should be in English or the local official language where you will interview. If they are not, you need a translation. Don't try to dodge that - it is a silly reason to be on AP.