• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners and 2016 applicants South america and the Caribbean

Hello @SusieQQQ i wont do it until i get my passport, but i have the doubt because the system ask you for the A number and i dont have it yet, because i haven't recieved my passport, the interview was last thursday

Hello @SusieQQQ i wont do it until i get my passport, but i have the doubt because the system ask you for the A number and i dont have it yet, because i haven't recieved my passport, the interview was last thursday

Hey Tolix! About the AP situation, don't worry that much. I was AP for the couple days after the interview and Issued by day three. As i've seen it's common with other venezuelan appplicants. I know two more that went thru the same story.

When you have your passport woth your visa on it, don't put the case number like the write it in the instructions page, no. Put it like you do in the CEAC website 2016sa*** no leading 0 or any of that.

Hi @Cornelio as i know im not in AP the CO told us that our visa were approved and we'll get our passports soon, did the officer told you when you was in AP or you checked it in a website?

Hey Tolix! About the AP situation, don't worry that much. I was AP for the couple days after the interview and Issued by day three. As i've seen it's common with other venezuelan appplicants. I know two more that went thru the same story.

When you have your passport woth your visa on it, don't put the case number like the write it in the instructions page, no. Put it like you do in the CEAC website 2016sa*** no leading 0 or any of that.
Hi @Cornelio as i know im not in AP the CO told us that our visa were approved and we'll get our passports soon, did the officer told you when you was in AP or you checked it in a website?

OK guys, again, I will just mention as mom had said earlier, that there ARE instances of people being told that everything is fine and to expect their passports in a few days and THEN they later find out that there was some kind of issue and they are placed on AP for a long time. There are checks that are done after interview that the CO may expect to be routine yet sometimes find out are not. So if you want to go ahead and make payments and buy air tickets and do all sorts of things before you get your passport with visa back that's fine but understand that it is on you if something goes wrong and you have to wait. The dvselectee site makes it very plain you should not do anything until you actually have the visa. No matter what the CO says, no matter what is "common" with applicants from your country. There are always exceptions and there is no reason at all, none whatsoever, to make the payment before you get your visa back, and certainly just because everything is fine for you it is no reason to tell someone else to jump the gun.

There are no prizes for paying the fee early. It is better to pay before entry to the USA, but nothing happens until someone has paid AND entered the USA.

OK guys, again, I will just mention as mom had said earlier, that there ARE instances of people being told that everything is fine and to expect their passports in a few days and THEN they later find out that there was some kind of issue and they are placed on AP for a long time. There are checks that are done after interview that the CO may expect to be routine yet sometimes find out are not. So if you want to go ahead and make payments and buy air tickets and do all sorts of things before you get your passport with visa back that's fine but understand that it is on you if something goes wrong and you have to wait. The dvselectee site makes it very plain you should not do anything until you actually have the visa. No matter what the CO says, no matter what is "common" with applicants from your country. There are always exceptions and there is no reason at all, none whatsoever, to make the payment before you get your visa back, and certainly just because everything is fine for you it is no reason to tell someone else to jump the gun.

I gave up a while back :rolleyes:

Thank you @Britsimon but i have to request my ssn right? or i have one when my visa is approved?

Most people selected "YES" to the question of whether an SSN will be automatically issued. If you did that, the SSN "should" arrive within 2 weeks or so after arrival in the USA. If it does not arrive by then, you can visit the SSA office to apply for a number/card. People stress about not getting the GC quickly, but not having the SSN is much more impactful to daily life, and the automated process seems to fail quite often, and negotiating with the SSA when you tell them that an application "may" be in the system already becomes a chore. So - if you do wait 2 weeks, and then need to go to the SSA, just apply for the card from scratch without mentioning that the application may already be in process.

There are always exceptions and there is no reason at all, none whatsoever, to make the payment before you get your visa back, and certainly just because everything is fine for you it is no reason to tell someone else to jump the gun.
Please quote me telling him to do so, i would be surprised.

People stress about not getting the GC quickly, but not having the SSN is much more impactful to daily life, and the automated process seems to fail quite often, and negotiating with the SSA when you tell them that an application "may" be in the system already becomes a chore. So - if you do wait 2 weeks, and then need to go to the SSA, just apply for the card from scratch without mentioning that the application may already be in process.
Well, ive been here for a month already and i got in that group of people whose automatic enrollment in the SSA went wrong. A week after entering, we went to the SSA to apply for the card of our kids and when we were there i just asked the officer to know my number, because i needed to apply for a job and he said that no, no number was assigned yet and I couldn't believe my ears! We got by the end of that week the kids cards but not ours, so i went to the SSA and told them the situation. The guy said: "well, I'm embarrassed, apparently someone didn't do its job..." We applied for our numbers and they were assigned the next day and mailed at the end of the week. It ties your hands not to have the Social Security Card. It is necessary for everything! Job, house, car, to say the least...

In addition, i came home a bit upset since i got into an argument with this girl at human resources telling me that i don't have a GC yet... She didn't understand that my stamped immigrant visa was MY ACTUAL GC!!! She said she had never seen that and that by no means that "visa" entitled me to work! It was hard to explain that 1. An I-551 is a permanent resident card, 2. This is a temporary I-551, 3. It's not good until the "expiration date" but until the year after the stamp states! I stopped talking to her and said that on monday i should go with her manager, he will be capable to understand it....

Well, ive been here for a month already and i got in that group of people whose automatic enrollment in the SSA went wrong. A week after entering, we went to the SSA to apply for the card of our kids and when we were there i just asked the officer to know my number, because i needed to apply for a job and he said that no, no number was assigned yet and I couldn't believe my ears! We got by the end of that week the kids cards but not ours, so i went to the SSA and told them the situation. The guy said: "well, I'm embarrassed, apparently someone didn't do its job..." We applied for our numbers and they were assigned the next day and mailed at the end of the week. It ties your hands not to have the Social Security Card. It is necessary for everything! Job, house, car, to say the least...

In addition, i came home a bit upset since i got into an argument with this girl at human resources telling me that i don't have a GC yet... She didn't understand that my stamped immigrant visa was MY ACTUAL GC!!! She said she had never seen that and that by no means that "visa" entitled me to work! It was hard to explain that 1. An I-551 is a permanent resident card, 2. This is a temporary I-551, 3. It's not good until the "expiration date" but until the year after the stamp states! I stopped talking to her and said that on monday i should go with her manager, he will be capable to understand it....

Jeez. Rather than getting upset with someone for not understanding something she probably doesn't see much, maybe you could have helped. A simple google search brings this up as the very first hit, being in HR she will know what the list A document means .... https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Oh,a nd here's your quote telling him not to worry about AP because of what you think is common in Venezuela ...which is what I responded to in your message. But sounds like you are in a bit of a temper today, go calm down and enjoy your weekend.

Jeez. Rather than getting upset with someone for not understanding something she probably doesn't see much, maybe you could have helped. A simple google search brings this up as the very first hit, being in HR she will know what the list A document means .... https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

People in HR RARELY understand what the endorsed visa means. Susie has provided the link to help you explain. You probably confused things by saying that is your Green Card. It isn't. It is a visa, which, as it has been endorsed serves as your proof of LPR status.

Oh,a nd here's your quote telling him not to worry about AP because of what you think is common in Venezuela.
Yes, i wrote that! But telling him to pay the fee without the visa on his hand, never...

THANK YOU for the link! The funny side of all of this is that the jobs is at an airport and CBP (who endorsed my visa) is one of the agencies that must validate my docs prior to me starting to work! Have a great weekend you too!

People in HR RARELY understand what the endorsed visa means. Susie has provided the link to help you explain. You probably confused things by saying that is your Green Card. It isn't. It is a visa, which, as it has been endorsed serves as your proof of LPR status.
Yes! We were actually both holding a USCIS I-9 form wich explained eveything in the first pages, but the girl was locked from the beginning. Thanks for the advice!