• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners and 2016 applicants South america and the Caribbean

He's living in the US, but he's not a permanent resident, he's a temporary resident with all his legal documentation. @SusieQQQ

This is mainky for I864 but says citizen or permanent resident, because they are liable until the person being sponsored eityer becomes a citizen or has worked for 10 years. I134 is not as legally onerous but I'm guessing they still want it signed by someone they can count on to be in the US until either of those things happens. Maybe someone else has a different link.
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

@Cornelio @cmara25 @Guarapa for how long did you wait to recieve your passports?
Hi Tolix,

Perhaps my case is not so educational for you as I was living outside Venezuela by the time I had the interview. For what is worth, they told me readiness for pickup of all passports was 1 week, always on Wednesdays (pickup is the preferred choice there, don't know why). I went to the Embassy in due time and found two typos on the visa page of my wife. It took one more week to fix it. Total 2 weeks. As cmara25 said above, DO NOT OPEN the envelope sealed by the embassy. Otherwise you have to return it to be resealed. I hand-carried our x-rays only to find they didn't even bothered to ask me about them at the airport on arrival; however I suggest you do the same with yours as no one ever knows...

I encourage you to pay the 165 of the GC fee on the USCIS website while you wait for your passport back. Other activities may include organizing the farewell party and spend the most possible time with your relatives and friends. That way the time elapses quickly.

And again... congratulations! Welcome to the USA!

Hi Tolix,

I encourage you to pay the 165 of the GC fee on the USCIS website while you wait for your passport back. Other activities may include organizing the farewell party and spend the most possible time with your relatives and friends. That way the time elapses quickly.

And again... congratulations! Welcome to the USA!

Making the GC payment while waiting for the embassy to send back the passport is a very bad idea! There are people who went ahead and made the payment based on the CO telling them they were approved at the end of their interview only to find out a couple of days later they're on AP, and the AP has been hoping on for months!

It's equally not a good idea to start celebrating, throwing farewell parties, selling or giving away personal stuff, resigning from a current job, etc before the passport has been received with the visa on it. Not a good idea at all!

AP - Administrative Processing - when additional time is required by the embassy, following an interview, for them to do some extra checking before either approving or denying a petition.

@Guarapa how did you pay the GC before getting your passport?

DON'T DO IT. Even if you have the A number, don't do it. It doesn't gain you anything and potentially leaves you a problem if you are one of the ones who have paid and then don't get your passport back when you expect, as mom explained. There are people right now on the forum in this situation.