• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners and 2016 applicants South america and the Caribbean

Hi everyone! I just had the medical exams today in Caracas at the Santa Fe medical center with Dr Rigoberto Marcano. I followed the instructions on their website and I got there 15 min earlier that the time they told me (7:30am) I was laready number 4 on the waiting list. The Rx and blood test was very fast, then I waited about 3 hours to be examined by the dr., he took 10 min to do my examination and that was it, I'll get my envelope with the results next week. To all of you planning to go there I let you know that there are no vaccines.. so I couldn't get the vaccines I was missing... I guess I have to get them as soon as I get to the US, I hope it doesnt represent an issue...

Good luck!

Hi everyone! I just had the medical exams today in Caracas at the Santa Fe medical center with Dr Rigoberto Marcano. I followed the instructions on their website and I got there 15 min earlier that the time they told me (7:30am) I was laready number 4 on the waiting list. The Rx and blood test was very fast, then I waited about 3 hours to be examined by the dr., he took 10 min to do my examination and that was it, I'll get my envelope with the results next week. To all of you planning to go there I let you know that there are no vaccines.. so I couldn't get the vaccines I was missing... I guess I have to get them as soon as I get to the US, I hope it doesnt represent an issue...

Good luck!

When we did ours (different country) there was a nationwide shortage of the varicella vaccine so we all got waivers. No problem on entering the US. The children had to have it done in the US for school.

When we did ours (different country) there was a nationwide shortage of the varicella vaccine so we all got waivers. No problem on entering the US. The children had to have it done in the US for school.

I already had varicella when I was a kid... most kids here go through it so I don't need the vaccine, the dr didnt say anything about it though :/

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 June 23

Should I worry? When should I receive the interview date? And when do you think my interview would be?

Thanks!!!!

I already had varicella when I was a kid... most kids here go through it so I don't need the vaccine, the dr didnt say anything about it though :/

The point I was making was about missing a vaccine due to unavailability not whether or not a particular one is required for a particular individual...

Last edited:
Does anybody know what are the reasons for not being selected (any reason) if based on previous year your case number would definitely be called for an interview??? I'm just wondering what are the reasons for not being granted your green card if you meet all the requirements and your case number is low enough to secure an interview.....

Thanks

Does anybody know what are the reasons for not being selected (any reason) if based on previous year your case number would definitely be called for an interview??? I'm just wondering what are the reasons for not being granted your green card if you meet all the requirements and your case number is low enough to secure an interview.....

Thanks

It isn't some strange process. If you meet the requirements, have the correct documents and have the interview, you will be approved. There is no easier way to get a Green Card. Some "interviews" last around 2 minutes, some AoS cases have been approved without interviews. Really - as long as you don't mess up the process yourself, it's a breeze.

Would it be any reason why you don't get an interview other than your case number being to high???

You haven't submitted a DS260 (in time for it to be processed before the last round of interviews is scheduled) or your case number is too high. That's it. Anyone who submits a DS260 and has it processed and is current will get an interview. Only a consular officer can deny a selectee a case.

(Oh, and people doing AOS where their FO messes it up and doesn't schedule in time, or they have a lawyer mess it up, but that's another scenario entirely...)

Hi, I have SA2XX but have not received any interview date yet, I sent my DS-260 June 23

Should I worry? When should I receive the interview date? And when do you think my interview would be?

Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!!

2NLs for November interviews have not gone out yet. I imagine they will come out in the next few days (perhaps today). I would guess you will be in that batch, and if not, the December batch. there is no problem, relax.

Hi Guys, I have just noticed that some countries within the South America, Central America & the Caribbean area had a zero (0) selection for the 2016 DV Lottery selection. Eg. Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados and Belize all had no entrants being selected. This broad base selection over the Caribbean area does not ensure that all countries receive a selection. You will hear however, that no one country will get more than 7%. Because there is no guarantee that there is at least 1 selection from each country, then some countries will always have low migration rates to the US annually. They might as well increase the list of countries who do not qualify because the results of the current system has a disqualifying element embedded in it. :(

Hi Guys, I have just noticed that some countries within the South America, Central America & the Caribbean area had a zero (0) selection for the 2016 DV Lottery selection. Eg. Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados and Belize all had no entrants being selected. This broad base selection over the Caribbean area does not ensure that all countries receive a selection. You will hear however, that no one country will get more than 7%. Because there is no guarantee that there is at least 1 selection from each country, then some countries will always have low migration rates to the US annually. They might as well increase the list of countries who do not qualify because the results of the current system has a disqualifying element embedded in it. :(
The US law, on which the Diversity Visa Program is based on, stipulates that all participants from within the same region, i.e. South America and the Caribbean in this case, must have the same chance of being selected. I am not sure what, if anything, should be intrinsically wrong with this approach.

As Euro has explained the chances of selection are the same over a region. The selection is random and there is nothing that stipulates a country has to receive at least one selectee.

So - if the chance of selection is 1 in 100 (for illustration) - and one country has 100,000 entries you would expect them to get 1000 winners - right. Now, another country in the same region has 200 entries. Statistically, they should get 2 winners - BUT because it is a random process and a small number of entries they might get 4 winners or none. That is the nature of a lottery process.

Not convinced?

OK - lets look at 2015 numbers (where we have entry and selectee numbers).

Antigua & Barbuda had 349 entries (plus 299 family). The got 6 selectees (including family). Let's assume that is 3 winners and 3 family (based on their derivative rate) . So - 3 winners from 349 - that is a selection rate of 0.86%.

Argentina in the same year had 5819 entries (plus 6335 family). The got 109 selectees (including family). At their derivative rate that should be 52 winners. 52 out of 5819 - that is a selection rate of 0.89%.

If we applied the 0.89 to the 349 entries from Antigua & Barbuda we would have expected 3.1 winners.

So - where is the disqualifying element?

Now, as the overall selectee number was reduced this year, the winning chances went down. Entries from some countries might be higher or lower. But with the low number of entries and with a lower winning chance, it is not a surprise that some countries got no winners at all.

As Euro has explained the chances of selection are the same over a region. The selection is random and there is nothing that stipulates a country has to receive at least one selectee.

So - if the chance of selection is 1 in 100 (for illustration) - and one country has 100,000 entries you would expect them to get 1000 winners - right. Now, another country in the same region has 200 entries. Statistically, they should get 2 winners - BUT because it is a random process and a small number of entries they might get 4 winners or none. That is the nature of a lottery process.

Not convinced?

Antigua & Barbuda had 349 entries (plus 299 family). The got 6 selectees (including family). Let's assume that is 3 winners and 3 family (based on their derivative rate) . So - 3 winners from 349 - that is a selection rate of 0.86%.

Argentina in the same year had 5819 entries (plus 6335 family). The got 109 selectees (including family). At their derivative rate that should be 52 winners. 52 out of 5819 - that is a selection rate of 0.89%.

If we applied the 0.89 to the 349 entries from Antigua & Barbuda we would have expected 3.1 winners.

Now, as the overall selectee number was reduced this year, the winning chances went down. Entries from some countries might be higher or lower. But with the low number of entries and with a lower winning chance, it is not a surprise that some countries got no winners at all.

Not convinced?

Thanks for your response. I do understand the reasoning and the logic behind the selection process. I do hope however, that the 2017 DV Lottery produces some results that work in my favor.

Hi guys, long time no see. But I just wanted you to know that today I got the interview at the Caracas Consulate and my visa was ... APPROVED! I'm totally exhausted at this moment and I only want to go to bed now, but happy. Last days have been totally nuts and now my head is about to explode with tons of ideas, hopes and to do lists.

Tomorrow I will give you full details about medical exam and today's interview, but it was kind of fast and easy everything.

I'm absolutely convinced you all are going to make it.