• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

Then I'm not sure what the point of your post that I answered was, where you said it's only because he married after selection that the new passport is needed... Clearly it is needed for any 'Mrs' as you put it.

The embassy request for you to get a new passport with Mrs is because you added Mrs during the edv. The impression should not be that all wives will need to get a new passport with Mrs.
I did not say because He married after selection that is why He needed a new passport. What I meant was that adding Mrs ( not the title but adding husband's name) to the wife's name (edv) made the embassy to request for affidavit of change of name and new passport to that effect. If during the edv, the right names of the wife were used without Mrs then there will be no need for affidavit of change of name and new passport so the impression should not be created that all wives will need affidavit of change of name and new passport. Infact, on the marriage certificate the wife does not use the husband's name so using the Mrs without having any documents to support is useless and confusing

Last edited:
I understand adding a husband's surname for a wife because of marriage. But where was the mrs placed on the edv, because it doesn't have place for title (mr/mrs/dr/ etc). strictly first middle surname.

I understand adding a husband's surname for a wife because of marriage. But where was the mrs placed on the edv, because it doesn't have place for title (mr/mrs/dr/ etc). strictly first middle surname.
Mrs not as title but adding the husband's name
If I filled the edv with my legally married wife's
name as Mrs and on her regular documents
including her passport she still has her maiden
name , do I have to do an affidavit (change of
name to Mrs Xxx and gazetted) or the marriage
certificate solves the Problem of Maiden name and after marriage name. ?

Last edited:
I did not say because He married after selection that is why He needed a new passport. What I meant was that adding Mrs to the wife's name (edv) made the embassy to request for affidavit of change of name and new passport to that effect. If during the edv, the right names of the wife were used without Mrs then there will be no need for affidavit of change of name and new passport so the impression should not be created that all wives will need affidavit of change of name and new passport. Infact, on the marriage certificate the wife does not use the husband's name so using the Mrs without having any documents to support is useless and confusing

not Mrs is title but naming the husbands name

AFAIK, no U.S. embassy has ever requested for a woman to present an affidavit of name change because the husband's last name is listed as the wife's last name (Mrs. in essence) as long as the wife has a passport with the husband's last name listed as hers. All that's needed in this case is simply that passport and the marriage certificate showing she's indeed married to this fella whose name she now bears.

AFAIK, no U.S. embassy has ever requested for a woman to present an affidavit of name change because the husband's last name is listed as the wife's last name (Mrs. in essence) as long as the wife has a passport with the husband's last name listed as hers. All that's needed in this case is simply that passport and the marriage certificate showing she's indeed married to this fella whose name she now bears.
this is the case then
The embassy has asked me get a new passport for my wife. she needs to get a new passport to reflect her name after marriage as Mrs. I sent an enquiry mail to the embassy and they responded as such. this new name change must be backed by civil documents like marriage certificate and affidavit or gazetted.

this is the case then

Well, not sure why the OP felt a need to contact the embassy on that issue, if they simply showed up with the passport and marriage certificate like countless others have done, they wouldn't have insisted on seeing an affidavit or a name change gazette. A classic case of 'be careful as to the can of worms you open' IMO!

Well, not sure why the OP felt a need to contact the embassy on that issue, if they simply showed up with the passport and marriage certificate like countless others have done, they wouldn't have insisted on seeing an affidavit or a name change gazette. A classic case of 'be careful as to the can of worms you open' IMO!
nice one.

And I do remember the OP asking this question a while back:

If I filled the edv with my legally married wife's
name as Mrs and on her regular documents
including her passport she still has her maiden
name , do I have to do an affidavit (change of
name to Mrs Xxx and gazetted) or the marriage
certificate solves the Problem of Maiden name and after marriage name. ?

To which Susie and I both responded that the marriage certificate in addition to a new passport in the husband's name should solve the problem, but then I guess the OP didn't think that was good enough:

In most countries the marriage certificate would suffice. I am not familiar with Ghanaian law so don't know if it works the same or not.

AFAIK and just like Susie said, in most places, the marriage certificate is enough for a woman to effect a change of name.

The only place where I can foresee a problem though is whenever she needs to travel with regards to name on passport not matching the GC. So I would suggest you take care of that now! Get a new passport with the marital name listed on it.

Countless number of married women have attended their interviews using their marital name, and the only documents they presented were the marriage certificate and the passport which bears the marital name.

USA14 made it clear. We shouldn't search for them, should we? I have read about at least 5 guys that had their interview and none of them shared it here. Is the custom of this forum to share your interview experience as I Will do. Your refusal or approval can also save somebody. Be helpful. ;););):D
this was wat this buddy said sometime ago, so i want to believe he wld come and tell us what happend.

Those who are waiting for the interview experience of Scratches should continue to wait. Yeah. Continue waiting for Scratches. Those who are waiting for that of Asomdwee Wura should also hope to get it on 30th. I have not been denied visa wai. Over my dead body. I serve an unfailing God and he shall put my enemies to shame.