• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

Hi mates, I'm thinking of participating in a conference in New York before, finally moving to Virginia. Can I arrive in NY and provide my host's Virginia address to immigration officers or I need to provide my NY hotel address? I will be living in NY for just a couple of days and have no host there. Will that create a problem with immigration officers? Thank u

You will be activating your LPR status on that arrival - so you need to make sure the address you give is the host address - as that is where the GC will be sent. THey may ask where you will stay while in New York - but make sure to be clear that the host address is what should be on your paperwork.

Hi mates, I'm thinking of participating in a conference in New York before, finally moving to Virginia. Can I arrive in NY and provide my host's Virginia address to immigration officers or I need to provide my NY hotel address? I will be living in NY for just a couple of days and have no host there. Will that create a problem with immigration officers? Thank u

Remember that as a new immigrant you don't need to fill in a landing card, so you don't need to actually put your address down anywhere. We landed in SF with an address in NYC listed on our DS forms - the officer simply asked us to confirm if the NYC address was still where we wanted the green card sent.

Last edited:
You will be activating your LPR status on that arrival - so you need to make sure the address you give is the host address - as that is where the GC will be sent. THey may ask where you will stay while in New York - but make sure to be clear that the host address is what should be on your paperwork.

Great. Thanks a lot Britsimon

Remember that as a new immigrant you don't need to fill in a landing card, so you don't need to actually put your address down anywhere. We landed in SF with an address in NYC listed on our DS forms - the officer simply asked us to confirm if the NYC address was still where we wanted the green card sent.

Awesome. Thanks SusieQQQ

What is the difference between form DS-260 and DS-261?

OK - seriously now. THe CEAC website has these descriptions - seems clear to me.
  • DS-261, Online Choice of Address and Agent
  • DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application
Does your host in the US have to sign an affidavit of support and how or when is that done?

If you are Ghanaian, and interviewing in Ghana then having a host (especially one that you know as a friend or are related to) is typically all that is required.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a host and I filled her information in the DS260 form but recently she told me that she is supposed to sign an affidavit of support. I really do not understand what she meant. Any help ?
OK - seriously now. THe CEAC website has these descriptions - seems clear to me.
  • DS-261, Online Choice of Address and Agent
  • DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application

If you are Ghanaian, and interviewing in Ghana then having a host (especially one that you know as a friend or are related to) is typically all that is required.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a host and I filled her information in the DS260 form but recently she told me that she is supposed to sign an affidavit of support. I really do not understand what she meant. Any help ?

OK - if she is keen to fill it out, there is no harm in having it.

She fills out this form. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134.pdf

She should send you the original copy and include copies of income/tax forms (either a 1040 or W2). She should also include a copy of ID (passport/Drivers license).

OK - if she is keen to fill it out, there is no harm in having it.

She fills out this form. http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134.pdf

She should send you the original copy and include copies of income/tax forms (either a 1040 or W2). She should also include a copy of ID (passport/Drivers license).

Thanks again for the quick reply.
1. Given that my cn is AF57XXX and I have not yet receive a 2NL, is it worth filling the form I-134 now?
2. Once your VISA is approved. How soon are you required to be in the US?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

2. Once your VISA is approved. How soon are you required to be in the US?

Before the visa expires. Usually 6 months from your medical. You can enter then leave again though if you need to wrap up things at home, as long as you will be back permanently within a year.