• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 Photo Help!

Britsimon, the link you posted is for a tool that modifies existing photos. It didn't work on my iPad either. Also, you would have to take the photo with a camera or phone then upload it and modify it using the photo tool. Takes time... Much easier using the app as you take the photo directly from your phone and can upload it directly on the website.

Britsimon, the link you posted is for a tool that modifies existing photos. It didn't work on my iPad either. Also, you would have to take the photo with a camera or phone then upload it and modify it using the photo tool. Takes time... Much easier using the app as you take the photo directly from your phone and can upload it directly on the website.

Yes I understand the limitations and the intent of your app. However, you joined the forum today, and your first post was to advertise your app. So I was/am uncomfortable of the intentions/capabilities of the app, hence my edit of the post.

I created the app with two of my friends out of frustration for having to deal with the strict photo requirements of the dv lottery every year (for the past 9 yrs). The app is free and works great. I think it would be of help for the peops looking to apply for a chance to live and work in the US.

Yes I understand the limitations and the intent of your app. However, you joined the forum today, and your first post was to advertise your app. So I was/am uncomfortable of the intentions/capabilities of the app, hence my edit of the post.

Perfectly valid reasons in my opinion as observer of all this...

Of course no one is naive enough to believe that people create free apps out of the goodness of their hearts ;)
I'm sure anyone doing a search has enough info to find it now should they want to use it
Even non-tech-savvy me managed to get by fine for a few years of DV entry photos.

Did you win the lottery in the end? In 9 years I don't think I managed to take one good photo. It came out as stretched when I used a photo editor in order to get the required 600x600 pixel ratio and under 240kb. Even if I were to be selected, apparently, I would've gotten disqualified by the USCIS because of the bad photo. When I created Green Card Photo I made sure that every photo taken meets the requirements. Please try it yourself. I would appreciate some feedback from you and Britsimon!

Did you win the lottery in the end? In 9 years I don't think I managed to take one good photo. It came out as stretched when I used a photo editor in order to get the required 600x600 pixel ratio and under 240kb. Even if I were to be selected, apparently, I would've gotten disqualified by the USCIS because of the bad photo. When I created Green Card Photo I made sure that every photo taken meets the requirements. Please try it yourself. I would appreciate some feedback from you and Britsimon!

Are you asking Susie if she won in the end?o_O I shouldn't even get in the midst of this, I'm sure Susie can handle the situation on her own.

Anyway, I'm fully in support of Simon's action regarding the link to your app. It looks to me like you only came here to promote the app, that cannot be tolerated. There is an official photo editor recommended by DOS and that is the one we're promoting here.

Not a tech savvy person myself, I got back with taking my picture back then on a Blackberry phone and simply used the official photo editor to make the necessary adjustments before submitting.

Are you asking Susie if she won in the end?o_O I shouldn't even get in the midst of this, I'm sure Susie can handle the situation on her own.

Anyway, I'm fully in support of Simon's action regarding the link to your app. It looks to me like you only came here to promote the app, that cannot be tolerated. There is an official photo editor recommended by DOS and that is the one we're promoting here.

Not a tech savvy person myself, I got back with taking my picture back then on a Blackberry phone and simply used the official photo editor to make the necessary adjustments before submitting.

Sounds complicated if you ask me! And I'm slightly tech savvy.

You couldn't take a good photo in 9 years - and we are supposed to trust you by using your app. Ok...

This is a matter of trust. I don't know who you are or your motivation. And giving your app access to the data on my phone (which is the permission requested by the app) is not something I am comfortable doing. Others may do as they wish which is why I left some of your post intact.

Now, can we drop this please?

Yes we won. 4 photos in the family, apparently all perfectly acceptable. So thanks for the offer, but we don't need to use your software...
...or give you access to all the data on our phone, thanks for pointing that out for the others, britsimon !

a dog's picture was approved by the validator... Do not only rely on the photo validator... Also The requirements are not so strict, in 2012 when I was among the 20 000, my picture was stretched as hell and the background was yellow... Still got picked up. But now I am not taking any chance... I take a 5MP pictures (so it is big, and I take all of my upper boddy (you will know why soon)), then used photoshop to select only the required part in a square (that is why I took my upper body so I could select the part I need without stretching the picture) then resize it to 600*600.
You got knocked off coz of a photo? at interview stage?

If i got jaykio2k right, he says that that in 2012, he used a photo that was taken against a yellow b/ground and was also notably stretched but the validator accepted it. He continues to say that he is not taking any chance with the photo now, that means he is still participating in the dv.
Its either that he has never been selected leaving one wondering why he is so much into the photo issue, or maybe he did not make it past the interview due to the bad photo.

If i got jaykio2k right, he says that that in 2012, he used a photo that was taken against a yellow b/ground and was also notably stretched but the validator accepted it. He continues to say that he is not taking any chance with the photo now, that means he is still participating in the dv.
Its either that he has never been selected leaving one wondering why he is so much into the photo issue, or maybe he did not make it past the interview due to the bad photo.

Some people can't seem to accept they just weren't chosen so look for reasons, despite that the odds are obviously stacked in favour of not being selected. It doesn't hurt of course to ensure the photo is right.

The only times I have heard of people being rejected for photo issues at the interview is when the photo recognition software shows that the person in the entry and the person in the interview are not the same..

He got selected in the initial 2012 draw which got cancelled. I believe he's simply stretching the fact that the photo validator only checks the photo dimension and nothing else.

@ jaykio2k. Keep doing everything right to the best of your ability, this includes the photo and all other stipulated requirements. Remember that it It's a game of chance, you may or may not be picked so all you can do is to endure that you have an entry as long as the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe someone here wants to know the identities of the forum members, I mean an app that mines data from your phone since cell phones are not so secure, and since you'll report to the forum how well it works it might be easier to link your account with the data mined, "I am just saying, but again I might be very wrong".

Using this example of Mr Potato Head you can see the two points you must measure from

2ldzknk.jpg

Looks like Wayne Rooney.