• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 Photo Help!

AldoBlack

Hello,
I will apply DV2015 for my cousin and her family. she gave me photos but her parents photos 952x1152 and when I resize to 600x600 they stretch. So I made some modification but the head is very big and I thought a way like photo example.

Is this photo eligible?

NOTE: I don't want to show the face so please do not laugh.

Save it on your PC and you will understand what I'm talking about.

I hope you get the point. :)

Link:
Code:
http://oi40.tinypic.com/28k0ldf.jpg

Thank You :)

You must also be aware that the photo must also meet other requirements. Measure from the corner of the eye to the bottom of the page ( it must be a certain percentage) and also from the top of the head to the chin.

Its just not 600 by 600

Using this example of Mr Potato Head you can see the two points you must measure from

2ldzknk.jpg

Yeah, but the person who took the photo, he just had this one and he don't want to make another photo so that's why I'm asking you. ;/

Well these are his options if the photo does not meet the requirements set out by the DV then his entry into the lottery is void. Its that simple. If he is so stubborn that he wont take another picture to meet the first requirements then there is no use in applying.

Well these are his options if the photo does not meet the requirements set out by the DV then his entry into the lottery is void. Its that simple. If he is so stubborn that he wont take another picture to meet the first requirements then there is no use in applying.

Will you agree though, that the DV Photo Validator is the best in determining whether your picture comply with all requirements or not?

Using photo shop and taking the time to measure it is the best option

This photo was deemed acceptable with the DV photo validator

http://tinypic.com/r/23hu9na/5

clearly it isnt but thats where responsibility falls back on the user to read the instructions and put in the effort to abide by them.

Will you agree though, that the DV Photo Validator is the best in determining whether your picture comply with all requirements or not?
the photo validator only check the size and pixels, you can put a 600*600 picture of a donkey's butt, the validator will accept it

And if the donkey has a high school education it might even get a visa...

lol!

Photo Validator only checks size and pixels, like jayo2k says. I tried it with a picture of my dog, in front of a leafy background. He wasn't looking directly into the camera and had a big smile. With all these things wrong, the Photo Validator said it was good to go.

If you resize and the photo stretches, you're not resizing it correctly. You have to preserve the aspect ratio, so learn how your graphic application does that - either by holding down the Shift or Ctrl key as you grab the corner and resize. This will keep it in proportion so you don't get skinny or fat heads.

And like mijoro says, make sure the photo adheres to their specifications, otherwise don't bother apply. You'll spend months wondering if the application will get rejected because of the photo. I know I did, even though I was obsessive about making sure our photos were as perfect as I could get them. I took at least a dozen photos each time.

lol!

Photo Validator only checks size and pixels, like jayo2k says. I tried it with a picture of my dog, in front of a leafy background. He wasn't looking directly into the camera and had a big smile. With all these things wrong, the Photo Validator said it was good to go.

If you resize and the photo stretches, you're not resizing it correctly. You have to preserve the aspect ratio, so learn how your graphic application does that - either by holding down the Shift or Ctrl key as you grab the corner and resize. This will keep it in proportion so you don't get skinny or fat heads.

And like mijoro says, make sure the photo adheres to their specifications, otherwise don't bother apply. You'll spend months wondering if the application will get rejected because of the photo. I know I did, even though I was obsessive about making sure our photos were as perfect as I could get them. I took at least a dozen photos each time.

According to the DV folks, their photo validator verifies all the requirements, "Before beginning the entry process, you can verify that your picture(s) comply with all requirements by clicking the link below".

That maybe so melody, but you also have to use common sense and follow the instructions. The photo validator only ensures that the picture is 600 x 600 and the size of the photo it does not check its content.

According to the DV folks, their photo validator verifies all the requirements, "Before beginning the entry process, you can verify that your picture(s) comply with all requirements by clicking the link below".

a dog's picture was approved by the validator... Do not only rely on the photo validator... Also The requirements are not so strict, in 2012 when I was among the 20 000, my picture was stretched as hell and the background was yellow... Still got picked up. But now I am not taking any chance... I take a 5MP pictures (so it is big, and I take all of my upper boddy (you will know why soon)), then used photoshop to select only the required part in a square (that is why I took my upper body so I could select the part I need without stretching the picture) then resize it to 600*600.

It's a horrible feeling to be picked as a selectee, only to be disqualified for a bad picture when an officer personally reviews your case. It's a chance of a lifetime, don't screw it up with silly mistakes, especially since the DOS has created online the photo cropper that's guaranteed to crop the picture right. People who do everything right can still be screwed by any number of mistakes on the government's part, don't make it worse.

Any decent smartphone will take a picture at a resolution higher than 600 X 600 pixels. If this little requirement is too hard to get, wait until you have to take all the vaccinations and tests, followed by financial documentations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I will apply DV2015 for my cousin and her family. she gave me photos but her parents photos 952x1152 and when I resize to 600x600 they stretch. So I made some modification but the head is very big and I thought a way like photo example.

Is this photo eligible?

NOTE: I don't want to show the face so please do not laugh.

Save it on your PC and you will understand what I'm talking about.

I hope you get the point. :)

Link:
Code:
http://oi40.tinypic.com/28k0ldf.jpg

Thank You :)

Hi,

There is an app on the Android market called Green Card Photo that fixes this problem. You can take a photo specifically designed for the dv lottery visa, green card or passport directly from your phone. Every picture comes out 600x600 pixels and under 250kb. It is very easy and intuitive. Here's the link to download it: <<<<deleted link - not convinced that is legitimate >>>- Hope this answers your question!

Last edited by a moderator: