• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Hi all,
I arrived in Houston on 1/7/16 . Settling in well , started work today. Loving every moment of it.
I did have query tho, over the last two days I have had a very lucrative job offer come through in Oz ( when it rains it pours!!) .
I wanted to ask if I was to take it up would I risk losing my green card even if I file taxes each year? It is for a substantial amount of time. 3 years at this stage .

Short answer, yes. Go do a google search on residency requirements to keep a green card.

All these Hawaii stories are great because that's where I'm activating before heading east. I guess everyone is booking that cheap Jetstar flight to Honolulu right?
Yes my flights were cheap with Jetstar! Accom was expensive but I was on my own so much cheaper if sharing! Have fun

Hey @Lisa D congrats on activating so successfully. I think this may be a stupid question but how did they know it was you at the airport?... do I need to notify someone or do they just have everyone's flight details?
I think the security at customs would have a list of new immigrants flying in! When I went through customs in OZ pretty sure it puts my name on system!

It was just because I was only the only one on that flight and quiet time of dat artiving at 6am!

Hi team!
I'm an OC2015er, heading over to activate next week, and want to say thanks for all your help through the process. Your advice has been second to none and you've all made it seem super simple!
Was wondering though - I've misplaced the cds/dvds that I received from my medical.. Still have envelope and passport in tact... Does anyone know, do you meed the actual discs at POE?
Thanks team!
Mel

btw Have you got any tips for good places to see in the Honolulu area?
YES absolutely! OK so if you are comfortable driving I would hire a car! I was too scared so caught the bus which is sooooo easy and also did a tour!

Waikiki is pretty awful, nice to look at buit tourists everywhere so I would venture out and see other parts! Its a great place to stay fpr shops & restaurants but during the day I would go sight seeing.

I spent most of my time at Lanikai Beach. Absolutely stunning and not as busy as Waikiki. It was only a 45 min bus ride from Waikiki. Or if you drive easy to get to!!

Also I recommend doing a bus tour of the whole island as soon as you get there, that way you will see all the amazing beaches etc and then can go back and visit the ones you liked! Or if you don't have a lot of time at least do a half day East Coast tour. Some of the nicest beaches I have ever seen!!

I would recommend Hanauma Bay!! Amazing. You can get a bus there and then a small buggy can drive you down for the day. But don't take too much stuff with you. Great place for snorkeling!!

Enjoy. Keep us posted on how you go!!

Three more days and we fly to the US permanently!

Such a strange feeling being in a city that you've lived in your whole life (well close enough anyway), and no longer having any ties to it beyond suitcases. I'm finding we're now yearning to get across to the US and start our new life.

We've been out of the US for 227 so I'm guessing we may have some questioning at the border. I'll have our US lease agreement, a BoA statement showing we've been moving money across, proof that we've sold the Australian house and, of course, we're travelling on a one way ticket in. That should be fine, right @SusieQQQ and @Britsimon?

Such a strange feeling being in a city that you've lived in your whole life (well close enough anyway), and no longer having any ties to it beyond suitcases. I'm finding we're now yearning to get across to the US and start our new life.

We've been out of the US for 227 so I'm guessing we may have some questioning at the border. I'll have our US lease agreement, a BoA statement showing we've been moving money across, proof that we've sold the Australian house and, of course, we're travelling on a one way ticket in. That should be fine, right @SusieQQQ and @Britsimon?

So exciting!!!!
Well, most of my family had been out 11 months when we went back in. We didn't have any of the proof that you have re documents, but the one way ticket was enough to forestall further questions! You'll be fine. Hope you have an easy time settling in and remember to let us know when you visit the best part of the US ;)

Like Susie says - no issues!

Best of luck to you! Look forward to hearing how everything goes for you. I'm with you on that yearning to get over to the US and start afresh - I have a little over three weeks until I leave, and boy, is time moving slowly... I cannot wait to get there.

All the best for your new life in the US @EmilyW .

We are here!

We landed on Wednesday night and have spent the last two days moving into our apartment, buying furniture and getting all the essentials (phones, tv, cable, internet) set up.

So far, thrilled.

Just a few things for those yet to go, just based on our experience.

Apartments - we leased before we arrived. I had been told it would be unlikely that we would get a lease without actually being here and without a job, but we managed to do it with neither. And without a guarantor. I don't think there was any magic formula to getting the lease other than I spoke to the leasing agents alot from Australia, so they knew me and knew our plans, which made their decision less risky. It was great only having to spend one night in a hotel. On Thursday we moved into the apartment and it started to feel like home straight away.

Utilities - once I had an address, I organised for all the utilities to be installed from Australia. That meant calling them at ungodly Australian hours (I was on the phone at 4am in Au), but trying to get them all to line up on the right days. It meant that, when we arrived, everything had been done that needed to be done.

Banking - we opened a bank account on our activation trip in June and had been depositing money ever since (whenever the dollar got to around 72c). On Thursday, we went to our local branch and set up secured credit cards so that we can start building a credit score.

Phones - we bought pre-paid sims before we left Australia. So I'm using my Australian phone (which was purchased outright and never locked to any network) with an AT&T sim in it. It meant that, as soon as we landed in LA, we had a phone with data attached to it. So useful when you first land and need to make phone calls, do internet searches, navigate your way around.

So the adventure begins... let's see how we go!